PDA

View Full Version : Trash talk in poker rooms, internet or otherwise

mrh86
09-04-2005, 01:17 PM
I won't make a long initial post about the subject, but I'd like to hear some of your views about this matter. I believe that trash talking, and even demeaning the way in which one plays should be ILLEGAL in poker rooms, especially in internet rooms where the other party is completely safe and anonymous. I consider any sentence typed that could affect another party negatively in a gambling situation a form of internet extortion. I don't want to turn off the chat, as poker is supposed to be a social game. At the same time, I don't want some lazy, unshaven slob who can't succeed at any other area of life that requires effort talking trash to potentially put others or myself on tilt simply because there are little to no repercussions.

TexArcher
09-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Real poker rooms do not tolerate it. Mild criciticsms of others' plays are one thing, but nothing like the personal attacks on the net.

I don't personally have a problem with it. I don't make stupid plays so people don't say anything to me personally, and if they get someone else on tilt by trash talking, so be it. Psychology is part of the game.

But, I never, ever personally demean another player. Why discourage bad play?...

jkkkk
09-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Its stupid, the fish get pissed off and leave, but thats not even the reason I don't try and piss people off, poker is a game that should be enjoyed. Anyone trying to spoil the mood of an otherwise friendly game is an idiot imo.

spamuell
09-04-2005, 01:44 PM
If your intention here is to criticise lazy, unshaven slobs, you've come to the wrong place.

jman220
09-04-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't make stupid plays so people don't say anything to me personally

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

XxGodJrxX
09-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Poker is a game of psychology and mathematics. In my opinion, trying to put somebody on tilt by trash talking, slowrolling, making kissy faces, or whatever, is a part of the game. Saying that it should be illegal to say something demeaning over the internet doesn't leave much to be said, does it? If you do not want people talking bad about your momma, then turn off the chat.

09-04-2005, 03:38 PM
There was no shortage of idiots with Web-courage before online poker became popular. People say things they know they would never get away with in real life. It's part of being online. If I had a dollar for every whiner who complained about a bad beat (I tend to play too loose now and again), well, I'd have a few extra dollars.

I think you just have to let it slide. The best revenge is to simply take their money (especially when they lose all their chips in a tournament), but I've also been known to engage them and put it back to them even harder.

Many times this results in a world-famous "Yo Momma..." joke at me, meaning that he's surely just not all that bright--or funny.

blaze666
09-04-2005, 03:47 PM
hear hear! only for the sake of others though. a nice flame war is always good, and it's funny to toy with the intellect of the kind of pond life you find at pacific micros. i never take it personally or get upset about it, but i can imagine others do.

if i get critised on my bad play, i'll either mentally agree with them because i think it was, or if i don't think it was a bad play, i'll say something like 'oh yeah, silly me, what AM i doing trying to thin the field down with big slick, i AM a silly sausage now aren't i?' but less sarcasticlly. in the same way, i congratulate a fish on a stupid play where he got lucky, it's surprising how profitable it is.

vexvelour
09-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Theres plenty of flaming going on, and I can ignore it, but I really hate it when people try to be my friend in the chatbox. They start asking what part of FL I'm from, commenting on my hands, telling me NH every [censored] time I take down a pot. It draws waaay too much attention to me and I f'in can't stand it.

09-04-2005, 10:21 PM
I LOVE when someone goes ballistic online - it's usually a sure sign of tilt, and I have to admit I fan the flames on occasion. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Like this today - a guy who had tried to represent AA (bluffing at a .5/1 table: first mistake) while actually holding JJ to my QQ:

Villain: FOLD YOUR MIDDLE PAIR AFTER A RAISE YOU XXXXING NOOB

Hero: stop whining

Villain: XXXX you

Onlooker: lol

Hero: sore loser

Of course, I never would say anything like "well, I WAS getting 16-1 odds on that call, even if your flop raise hadn't been so suspiciously fast." Better that he thinks he can try and get his money back "outplaying" me with marginal hands.

Oh yeah, the guy was almost busted shortly thereafter.

09-04-2005, 11:34 PM
Three points:

1. You put yourself on tilt. Unshaven slobs have nothing to do with it.
2. You need to work on your trolling skills. Look up theredpill2,3,4,6,7,8,9,10 and morpheus for tips
3. abuse@partypoker.com