PDA

View Full Version : Why is it so hard?

David
09-04-2005, 11:24 AM
A little personal poker history.......

I used to play small to medium stakes limit holdem (up to 20/40) and some NL tournaments. After taking up the game several years ago I did fairly well in the limit games and decided to try a few NL tournaments. I did fairly well from the very start. I cashed in my very first NL tournament at the Orleans Open (12'th place out of about 400 players).

At this time I found that I loved the atmosphere of a NL tournament and started playing them as often as possible, both live and on the internet. I did very well. I had several cashes in 5 figures and several more in 4 figures. Then, along comes the reemergence of NL live games.

I have started playing NL/PL ring almost exclusively. I play 3 times a week live and a couple times a week on the net. Without blowing my own horn, I have become a virtual machine at the NL/PL ring games, especially live. What bothers me is the apparent regression of my tournament play at the same time. I am not just talking results either. I can see a real deterioration in my play. Pushing too hard when I should back off. Always pushing the smallest edge, an aversion to the slightest hint of having to play a small stack (get a stack or get out), looking over at the NL ring game getting started and wishing I was there instead of "stuck" in this tournament.

Anyone else? Why is it so hard to change gears and excel at both NL/PL ring and tournaments? I can't quit the ring games, that would be insane, but I would like to regain my tournament edge. How?

steamboatin
09-04-2005, 11:54 AM
You need to read some of Mason's poker esays or TPfAP. The style of play that makes you a killer in a cash ring game, gets you killed in a tournament. Very few players excell at both. Unless you are really good at switching styles, I would pick the one that pays the best or that you like the best and not worry about trying to be the best at both.

09-04-2005, 12:25 PM
In ring games, you get to add to your shortstack. Thus, you are never forced to be in a position of having few strategic choices. What you're experiencing in tourneys is some sort of strategic claustophobia. When you're shortstacked you feel cramped in when it comes to your strategic options.

You have to learn to feel challenged by shortstack play like you used to. You have already proven that you know how.

Xhad
09-05-2005, 03:48 AM
If you're going to hit the books I'd strongly suggest Harrington on Hold-'em, Volume 2. I don't play NL cash, but from what I understand optimal cash game strategy is passable early in a tournament with a deep stack until the blinds become a significant portion of your chips. The inflection point chapters should help you out with regards to short stack play.

RydenStoompala
09-05-2005, 11:44 PM
Excellent advice. The games are different species. Entirely different tactics.