PDA

View Full Version : Adventures of Table Coach

DavidC
09-04-2005, 10:41 AM
The concepts described here:

Action blufing / semibluffing, and dumping some chips to put the pressure on small stacks...

Have they been written about elsewhere? I.e. in HoH or anything like that?

--Dave.

lorinda
09-04-2005, 11:18 AM
I believe I was the first to write about action bluffing, but that's probably because you could be oblivious to it for your whole life and have a 0.00% or so impact on your EV.

The mini-raise this month comes up from time to time on the forum, but (and I haven't read HoH) I believe it hasn't actually been published in a book as it's rather a SNG specific play with their top-heavy (compared to a normal MTT) prize structures.
I have no idea whether or not I was the first to discuss it on the forum, but it is certainly a far more important (although less surprising) concept than Action Bluffing as you WILL be in a position to use it on a semi-regular basis.

Lori

Phill S
09-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Btw, been loving the TC series, very good info disguised under a very good story - you're clearly quite a talented writer lori.

I havent gotton round to viewing this months magazine, but this is a good reminder to do so /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Phill

DavidC
09-04-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Btw, been loving the TC series, very good info disguised under a very good story - you're clearly quite a talented writer lori.

I havent gotton round to viewing this months magazine, but this is a good reminder to do so /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Phill

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't even play STTs or tourney poker, but I was absolutely floored by the action bluff concept. Amazing! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks, Lorinda!

axeshigh
09-04-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
action bluffing,

[/ QUOTE ]

Link? Thanks.

45suited
09-04-2005, 02:58 PM
I just made a play related to this. I might get flamed for it, but at the time, my thinking was this: I wanted to prolong the bubble and create a situation where the three shorter stacks were more even, so that I could pwn them even longer. I did not want the bubble to end, and anticipated that my mini-raise would accomplish this. Is this FPS or does anybody like this??? This resulted in me being able to prolong the bubble for some time...

UTG ( $455 )
Button ( $415 )
SB ( $895 )
BB (HERO) ( $6235 )

Blinds(75/150)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ Qd 5c ]
UTG calls [150].
Button folds.
SB calls [75].
HERO raises [150].
UTG raises [300].
SB folds.
HERO folds.
UTG does not show cards.
UTG wins 900 chips

This resulted in a more even distribution of chips among the short stacks and allowed me to pwn the bubble for some time longer than would otherwise have been possible. I felt that UTG would push and that the SB would fold, hoping that I would take out UTG. My hand was nothing, but I didn't want SB to be able to take out UTG this hand and end the bubble. Thoughts?

adanthar
09-04-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have 6300 goddamn chips, stop the FPS already and start busting people instead of trying to giving 6 BB stacks free chips

lorinda
09-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Thoughts?

I certainly wouldn't like to commit to my answer without running some ICM type stuff, but my instinct is that everyone is so short that prolonging the bubble is possibly now counter-productive.

Lori

bluefeet
09-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Apologies in advance for my ignorance...

...what is the TC series?
Is this on the web or in print?
Links please, if the former /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluefeet
09-04-2005, 03:34 PM
Got it! (http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/current/lorinda0905.html)

Google is a fine tool - looking forward to the read...

vexvelour
09-04-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
HERO raises [150].
UTG raises [300].

[/ QUOTE ]

what the hell is the big decision? You're a major chipleader and you won't be putting yourself at any type of risk except making the game move along. I don't see why prolonging the bubble in this situation is helpful, just pick 'em off.

axeshigh
09-04-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Got it! (http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/current/lorinda0905.html)

Google is a fine tool - looking forward to the read...

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg, I can't find the piece on action bluffing since there seems to be no way to sort by author instead of by issue. Anyhow.

lorinda
09-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Episode 4 (last month's) was the Action Bluffing one.

There is a thread about it here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=magazine&Number=3024226&Fo rum=f28&Words=%2Baction%20%2Bbluff%20%2Barticle&Se archpage=0&Limit=25&Main=3024226&Search=true&where =bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=5&newertype=w& olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post3024226)

and another one here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=3048484 &Forum=f22&Words=%2Baction%20%2Bbluff%20%2Barticle &Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=3048292&Search=true&wh ere=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=5&newertype =w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post3048484)

Be aware that it is far more of a mathematical oddity than of serious practical use, although I have used it.

Lori