PDA

View Full Version : Too much with too little?

barongreenback
09-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Villain was loose preflop. Not too much raising but more than just AA. Postflop he showed some care with his stack.

$100 PLO 5 handed
2 posters($20 + $30) check, Button(covers) raises to $5.50, I ($110) call in sb with A/images/graemlins/spade.gifA/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, BB(covers) and posters fold.

Flop 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif (pot $14)
I check, Button bets pot and I raise to $53

Any good? What do you do instead? Preflop too.

Thanks,
James

Spellmen
09-04-2005, 12:59 PM
I fold the flop. Villain could have anything from 2pair/set to a straight. Your flush draw, the biggest thing going for you right now could also be dead.

TheRempel
09-04-2005, 03:35 PM
It's not a bad bet if the button is tight postflop and easily moved off a hand. Anything he can call you with here (if he is somewhat solid, anyway) probably has you crushed.

autobet
09-05-2005, 11:29 AM
You are in good shape if the raiser has high cards. You are the favorite if he has something like KK with clubs.

You will be a 2-1 to 3-1 dog when he has middle cards, and occassionally dead when he has something like A987 with clubs.

Making this play should also get you action in the future.

barongreenback
09-05-2005, 01:24 PM
How often do you think I'll get better hands to fold? Does a check raise fold many hands that a bet won't?

RoundersRocks!
09-05-2005, 05:58 PM
I would bet instead of check raise. If he is weak, he might be knocked off high cards that missed. He he re-raises, you can put him on a hand. A check raise with AA is just a bluff, anything he would call you with has you beat.

autobet
09-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Yes, betting will tend to get most players to fold high cards/overpairs unless they have the nut flush draw or maybe king high flush draw.

barongreenback
09-07-2005, 04:53 AM
Thanks everyone. I hate it too. I reasoned that, usually, either my AA or my flush draw would be good. Of course, not being dead is no reason to play for your stack. I hoped I could fold 2 pair but he'll often have something with 2 pair here.

Problem is, either he is scared of this board or he has hit it and when he bets he has more likely hit it. Vs a more aggressive player and with the nut FD, it may have some merit. Still, raising FDs OOP where it leaves 1 bet behind is bad practice.

Anyway, he had Ah7d5d4d which was a lighter preflop hand than I expected and I was 41:59 which was about as good as I could expect. Thankfully, I didn't suck out.

James