PDA

View Full Version : Weird betting sequence, 3- bet on river

thatpfunk
09-04-2005, 08:20 AM
Villian is loose, likes to call alot. He is decently aggro and does stupid annoying small (1/8-1/3 pot) bets with weird draws, pairs, etc. I had previously doubled through him when I flopped top two and he didn't laydown QQ to my raise flop, pot turn, push river.

He seems slightly annoyed with me and called down my 3 pot-sized barrels with what was TPWK on flop, 2nd pair on turn, and 3rd pair on river (I had OESD + FD + overcard).

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP ($40)
Button ($122.55)
SB ($146.51)
Hero ($149.30)
UTG ($26)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, MP calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $2.5</font>, Hero calls $2, UTG folds, MP calls $2.

Flop: ($10) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $11</font>, MP folds, SB calls $8.

Turn: ($32) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $24</font>, SB calls $20.

River: ($80) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $70</font>, Hero ???

Comments on all streets welcome, of course. Anyone do anything different regarding the turn and river raises?

Finite_Risk
09-04-2005, 08:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I had previously doubled through him when I flopped top two and he didn't laydown QQ

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like this hand.

If he's stupid enough to play a set or st8 like this with flush on board...well, he can have my money.

I'm calling as there is 180 in pot and you have to call 40 - you have better odds than 4.5/1 here.

wtfsvi
09-04-2005, 08:47 AM
Weird betting sequence indeed.

I don't think there is many options for the final decition. Reraising and folding would both be pretty bad as I see it.

How often does he make these tiny bets with 1-pair hands? Always? If so, I think your line looks ok except I make it more on the turn and more on the river.

If the tiny bets are draws more often than made hands (like they are with most oponents), I'd consider making it more on the turn (planning to fold to a reraise) and not raising the river.

thatpfunk
09-04-2005, 08:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't think there is many options for the final decition. Reraising and folding would both be pretty bad as I see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, once he reraised me I just felt that I had mucked up the hand somehow. Folding didn't seem like much of a choice, I know.

[ QUOTE ]
How often does he make these tiny bets with 1-pair hands? Always?... If the tiny bets are draws more often than made hands (like they are with most oponents)

[/ QUOTE ]
I hadn't played with him long enough to know his tendencies for sure, however his previous hands had seemed fairly typical in regards to small bets with draws. I suspected 1-pair with 1 card FD (AsJ or something similar) until the three bet.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd consider making it more on the turn (planning to fold to a reraise) and not raising the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that idea a lot more. However, if I am 3-bet on the turn then I fold and ruin my chances of filling up. And, if he does have the flush, I have no doubt that I will be able to stack if I fill up.

FlyingStart
09-04-2005, 09:06 AM
What about just calling the river`? He makes small bets with pairs, OK, but even a retarded monkey must understand that TP isn't gonna cut it here

KowCiller
09-04-2005, 01:08 PM
Typically I raise the pot on this flop, especially against a caller. I like the turn raise (and fold to a 3bet). After he calls your raise on the flop and turn I would be looking for the cheapest possible showdown, which in this case the play is calling his weak river lead.

KoW

TheWorstPlayer
09-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Call or push the river. I'm usually calling when he has bet into me so many times.

MINETZ
09-04-2005, 01:41 PM
just call river, he's donk betting, but hes lead into u 3 times after youve raised.

amoeba
09-04-2005, 01:48 PM
just call the river. its either a very very weak blocker or a bet looking for a raise. either way that extra 20 the times its the former is not worth dropping an extra 60 the times its the latter.

thatpfunk
09-04-2005, 08:16 PM
The reason I raised the river because it looked SO much like a blocking bet.

I really thought that he was trying get away cheaply because he still had a pair, but missed his one card FD.

09-04-2005, 08:21 PM
Call river. Flush draw made it and you really don't want to get raised here. Just call it down against a weird opponent.

djoyce003
09-04-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Villian is loose, likes to call alot. He is decently aggro and does stupid annoying small (1/8-1/3 pot) bets with weird draws, pairs, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem 1) Flop raise is too small, although not by much. I would have raised to 14 at least though.

Problem 2) The most obvious draw hits he leads again and you raise....hate that play. A lot of times donks that hit draws here will lead small so you will raise. I flat call that turn lead hoping to see showdown cheap because I think its a tossup on whether you are ahead or behind, and if you are behind your T /images/graemlins/spade.gif might give you the win if another falls.

Problem 3) On the river you have 2 pair...that's only the third best possible hand in poker. There are bunch of straights possible plus a flush. What calls your big turn raise and then leads the river that you are beating? You have a hand that i'd agree is worth taking to showdown but now you are faced with a really tough decision and you could have seen it for $10. Terrible Terrible Terrible raise on the river. Never raise with a hand that can't stand a big reraise, and this one can't on this board.