PDA

View Full Version : Critique Play of Hero and Villain: TT vs JJ

DavidC
09-04-2005, 04:22 AM
Hero is UTG with TT, Villain UTG+1 with JJ. Hero and Villain are TAA.

2/4 10-handed.

------

Hero raises, Villain re-raises. Folded to hero who calls.

Flop: 843 two-tone.

Hero bets, villain calls.

Turn: 5 offsuit.

Hero bet/calls.

River: K offsuit.

Hero check/calls.

aK13
09-04-2005, 04:34 AM
C/R the flop.

bet/call the turn.

check/call the river

Shillx
09-04-2005, 04:38 AM
I don't really mind the Hero's line though it tends to give his hand away. The villian in this hand is an idiot for not raising the turn. If the hero is slowplaying AA-QQ preflop, he isn't going to lead out on this flop. It is pretty clear to me that the hero has JJ-99. Given that we bet the flop, I like the rest of the hand a lot.

In general I check/call flops like this. Sometimes toss in a check/raise or maybe even a bet to mix it up. Betting the flop certainly isn't the "standard play" here fwiw.

Brad

jaxUp
09-04-2005, 05:17 AM
looks like villain did raise the turn here

Shillx
09-04-2005, 05:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you are right. Looks like we can check/fold this river card.

Brad

aK13
09-04-2005, 05:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, yeah, against a TAG, I like folding the river here. I can also see an argument for folding any non T river, which, if your read is correct, I believe is the best play.

DavidC
09-04-2005, 05:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really mind the Hero's line though it tends to give his hand away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, hugely. PF I could have:

QQ (but would probably cap), JJ,TT,99 (in tight aggressive games, in LP games I'd probably call utg),AQ,KQs, AK (sometimes I cap, sometimes I don't)...

When I bet out on the flop, unless I have a flush draw, it's a pair that I'm betting with, maybe AK, but not AQ/KQ. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]

The villian in this hand is an idiot for not raising the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead, let's say I'm an idiot for writing out my post in short-hand. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I bet/called the turn, so: he raised. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

If the hero is slowplaying AA-QQ preflop, he isn't going to lead out on this flop. It is pretty clear to me that the hero has JJ-99. Given that we bet the flop, I like the rest of the hand a lot.

In general I check/call flops like this. Sometimes toss in a check/raise or maybe even a bet to mix it up. Betting the flop certainly isn't the "standard play" here fwiw.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I gave away my hand, I think the villain played it perfectly. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

One thing that I'm curious about though:

If I had AK, is his line: calling the flop and raising the turn on a non-A/K/flush card, a good idea or a bad one? Would it be better vs AK to raise the flop and bet the turn...

I'm just curious if we're looking (as villain, with JJ) to max earnings by making AK pay two bets on the turn, or to cut them out of the hand on the turn to win what's in the pot.

DavidC
09-04-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

bet/calling the turn then check/folding the river

or

bet/folding the turn?

Does the river being a K matter in this hand?

DavidC
09-04-2005, 05:46 AM
Also, supposing villain had AK on the flop, I'm not sure what's the best line for him:

To raise the flop and take a free turn card, or to call and fold the turn ui. If he raises and I call, then donk the turn, he's in a tough spot where he has to make a narrow call based on implied odds (and he's already made a -EV play to get to the turn).

Oy! (Poker's hard.)

----

Edit: I've made four mistakes tonight, this being two of them (turn call plus riv call), that cost me an hour's work. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Re-Edit: And I've only played 1.75 hrs!