PDA

View Full Version : So I finally watched "zoolander"..

Alobar
09-04-2005, 01:42 AM
and its just as I suspected, all the people who said this was one of the funniest comedies ever, don't have a very good sense of humor.

Thats the only reason I finally watched it, was cuz so many different people would talk about how its ben stillers best movie, and oh even if you hate ben stiller you will love zooland, its top 5 comedy of all time, etc. ugh. I wont say it was awful, there were funny parts, but for the most part, it was boring, and not that funny. Now that I've seen it, I'll never see it again.

oh, and yet another unfunny will ferrell movie. With the exception of his small part in "old school" and a cameo in wedding crashers, has he even been in anything worth watching? I don't get why hes so hyped as being awesome. I never watched him on SNL, cuz SNL isn't funny, so I dont think it could be from there either.

smokingrobot
09-04-2005, 01:46 AM
the only joke i found funny was where they had the runway-off...

@ the member's only warehouse.

smokingrobot
09-04-2005, 01:46 AM
and idont find will ferrell funny either.

PassiveCaller
09-04-2005, 02:03 AM
I fell asleep in this movie in the theatres (something that's rare for me) It's very average at best.

LBJ
09-04-2005, 02:04 AM
It was a walk-off and yeah, the movie isn't that great. The humor is meh and there are some decent parts but the whole movie is lacking something. I don't know what, though...maybe more funniness??

fluxrad
09-04-2005, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and idont find will ferrell funny either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunate. His performances in Austin Powers and Old School at least warrant him a spot on the "funny actors" totem, albeit a low spot.

PassiveCaller
09-04-2005, 02:05 AM
You didn't like the gasoline fight?!?!?

TheIrishThug
09-04-2005, 02:06 AM
not all comedies have to be inteligent to be funny. u can't go in expecting the best movie ever. its clearly not something that would be getting awards and such.

smokingrobot
09-04-2005, 02:07 AM
both were supporting roles.

will ferrell ='s salt, he cant be a lead.

i dont know, its like the adam sandler effect. when i was in 7th grade i pissed my pants listening to tollbooth willy, but by the time i got to h.s., his style of humor got old.

LBJ
09-04-2005, 02:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You didn't like the gasoline fight?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Damnit. Everytime I watch this movie I forget about that part until I see it. Definitly a great one. Hah, I just starting LOLing (literally)

smokingrobot
09-04-2005, 02:09 AM
oh yah, that wasnt so bad... i dont know, i wasnt in stitches though. i guess im a fan of non sequitor type stuff... i.e. wile e. coyote riding shotgun in peter's car when he runs over the road runner and peter says "i think i just hit that osterich" and wile e's like "just keep going, he's fine he's fine, keep going" all dead pan. that was hillarious.

jacki
09-04-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
With the exception of his small part in "old school" and a cameo in wedding crashers, has he even been in anything worth watching? I don't get why hes so hyped as being awesome. I never watched him on SNL, cuz SNL isn't funny, so I dont think it could be from there either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anchorman

And lots of his SNL stuff is great.

TheCroShow
09-04-2005, 02:14 AM
zoolander is awesome. will farrell for the win.

smokingrobot
09-04-2005, 02:14 AM
another vote here for SNL not being funny.

they drag their sketches out way too long. if i have to sit through a 10 minute sketch, i wanna laugh the whole time. not chuckle the first time they do the "funny joke" and then get pissed when they repeat the damn thing a million [censored] ing times.

djj6835
09-04-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
oh, and yet another unfunny will ferrell movie. With the exception of his small part in "old school" and a cameo in wedding crashers, has he even been in anything worth watching?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought anchorman was hilarious. I actually liked it better than wedding crashers.

TomHimself
09-04-2005, 02:23 AM
I actually like ZooLander but I thought thats the trailers pretty much showed all the funny scenes. I like Will Farrell and SNL

09-04-2005, 02:26 AM
Watch it again with somebody who finds it hysterical.

Took me two viewings

BottlesOf
09-04-2005, 02:37 AM
i agree with you on will ferrel a lot. but because of your stance on zoolander, ysscky . /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ChipWrecked
09-04-2005, 02:40 AM
Liked Ferrell in 'The Ladies' Man'.

edfurlong
09-04-2005, 02:40 AM
Zoolander sucked. You could tell because Ben Stiller was in it.

But the gas fight was awsome.

jokerthief
09-04-2005, 02:47 AM
Funny avatar. I guess you are technically in compliance with your rule.

Blarg
09-04-2005, 04:08 AM
I thought Will Ferrell could get boring on SNL, but I thought Anchorman was great fun, and so was Old School. I didn't think I was going to like either one.

I don't like Adam Sandler at all, and think Ben Stiller is reasonably talented but mostly just fairly likeable. There's something kind of Steve Guttenberg about him in that he always seems almost overmatched by even very unexceptional material, but he's a little better and more likeable. If he's writing his stuff, he should fire his writer and get some new ones. Meet the Parents was a huge disappointment, and I had wanted sooo much to like it. I thought he was great in Something About Mary, but I'd just as soon go see a Paulie Shore movie as his Dodgeball movie.

I might one day give Zoolander a try, and I'll probably give Starsky and Hutch a try. I have a feeling I should try S&H first, because Zoolander looks like it could put me off him forever.

thatpfunk
09-04-2005, 04:12 AM
S&H sucks.

Zoolander is funny, not because of Stiller (who is funny in it, although I dislike him in general) but because of Owen Wilson. The more you watch Zoolander, the funnier it gets.

Danenania
09-04-2005, 04:32 AM
See I don't like any of the Old School, Anchorman, Dodgeball, Wedding Crashers movies (am I forgetting any?) much at all, but I loove Zoolander. I agree that it gets funnier with repeat watchings.

NLSoldier
09-04-2005, 04:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and its just as I suspected, all the people who said this was one of the funniest comedies ever, don't have a very good sense of humor.

Thats the only reason I finally watched it, was cuz so many different people would talk about how its ben stillers best movie, and oh even if you hate ben stiller you will love zooland, its top 5 comedy of all time, etc. ugh. I wont say it was awful, there were funny parts, but for the most part, it was boring, and not that funny. Now that I've seen it, I'll never see it again.

oh, and yet another unfunny will ferrell movie. With the exception of his small part in "old school" and a cameo in wedding crashers, has he even been in anything worth watching? I don't get why hes so hyped as being awesome. I never watched him on SNL, cuz SNL isn't funny, so I dont think it could be from there either.

[/ QUOTE ]

anchorman?

mostsmooth
09-04-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

anchorman?

[/ QUOTE ]
jay and silent bob strike back?

tbach24
09-04-2005, 11:53 AM
Zoolander = funniest movie of all time and it's not even close

Will Ferrell = very funny

wacki
09-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Ironically, I agree with everything you said. All of the thoughts you've had I used to have. I was even forced into watching zoolander by a friend. Afterwards I was like "dumbest movie ever". Then, for some odd reason, after ending up in a situation where I had to watch it a second time, it became mildly amusing. It creeps on you. Before you know it you will actually laugh at the movie and start to love it. I know it sounds odd but it's true. And ya, will ferrell sucks.

trying2learn
09-04-2005, 12:07 PM
I think movies like zoolander are (for the most part) based on expectation...

I went into this movie thinking I would hate it, and I think it's f'n genius. I have a feeling I would have liked it less if I went into it thinking it would be amazingly funny.

-Skeme-
09-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Zoolander: No, Matilda, we don't think we're in some machine in outer space contacting Earth.

Hansel: "Helloooo.. Heh-Helooo"

Zoolander: Oh! Snap!

trying2learn
09-04-2005, 12:17 PM
"they were like brothers to me - and when I say brothers, I don't mean like ACTUAL brothers - but more the way black people use it. which is more meaningful, I think."

hoopsie44
09-04-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and yet another unfunny will ferrell movie. With the exception of his small part in "old school" and a cameo in wedding crashers, has he even been in anything worth watching? I don't get why hes so hyped as being awesome. I never watched him on SNL, cuz SNL isn't funny, so I dont think it could be from there either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he sucked in Wedding Crashers.

09-04-2005, 02:04 PM
What can I say?

Your sense of humour is incorrect

09-04-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ironically, I agree with everything you said. All of the thoughts you've had I used to have. I was even forced into watching zoolander by a friend. Afterwards I was like "dumbest movie ever". Then, for some odd reason, after ending up in a situation where I had to watch it a second time, it became mildly amusing. It creeps on you. Before you know it you will actually laugh at the movie and start to love it. I know it sounds odd but it's true.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is EXACTLY how it was for me. Went from worst to first over 3 or 4 viewings spaced over a year or so.

OCW

SomethingClever
09-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Zoolander is pretty average with a few funny bits. Will Ferrell isn't particularly funny in it.

However, he is good in Austin Powers, Wedding Crashers, Ron Burgundy, and on SNL.

His best work is on SNL... you're really missing out by dismissing it out of hand, Alobar.

GET OFF THE DAMN ROOF!

Edited to add: I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS!

trying2learn
09-04-2005, 02:27 PM
His Neil Diamond bits along with the Jeopardy bits are classic gold SNL...which is hard to find since most of SNL blows.

Voltron87
09-04-2005, 02:28 PM
i completely agree about zoolander though i really dont agree about will ferrell. he was great in old school and bewitched. he was weak in a lot of other movies, especially wedding crashers.

Niwa
09-04-2005, 02:37 PM
dont say nuttin' about will.

Alobar
09-04-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think movies like zoolander are (for the most part) based on expectation...

I went into this movie thinking I would hate it, and I think it's f'n genius. I have a feeling I would have liked it less if I went into it thinking it would be amazingly funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt go into it expecting it to be amazingly funny. I hate ben stiller. But because soooo many people talk about how great this movie is I thought id give it a shot. I even watched it with someone who thinks its the best movie ever too. I dont think the fact I thought it could very well blow clouded my judgement either, because I went in with a pretty open mind about it. Not expecting much, but definately giving it a chance. It just wasnt very funny

Maybe if I watched it a second and third time I'd like it more like some people are saying, but I doubt that theory ever gets tested, as I have no desire to attempt to sit through it again.

Alobar
09-04-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and yet another unfunny will ferrell movie. With the exception of his small part in "old school" and a cameo in wedding crashers, has he even been in anything worth watching? I don't get why hes so hyped as being awesome. I never watched him on SNL, cuz SNL isn't funny, so I dont think it could be from there either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he sucked in Wedding Crashers.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I dont think he was funny in it, but the movie was funny, so I cant say every movie will ferrell is in sucks.

edfurlong
09-04-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
His Neil Diamond bits along with the Jeopardy bits are classic gold SNL...which is hard to find since most of SNL blows.

[/ QUOTE ]

I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH! (http://www.milkandcookies.com/links/31749)

thatpfunk
09-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Matilda: I became...
Hansel: What?
Matilda: Bulimic.
Derek Zoolander: You can read minds?

The look on Hansel's face is one of the funniest expressions I've ever seen. I could go on all day about this.

TheCroShow
09-05-2005, 08:35 PM
why you acting so messed up to me?

Phoenix1010
09-05-2005, 08:43 PM
People who don't like Zoolander take their sense of humor too seriously. It took me a few viewings to lighten up.

Victor
09-05-2005, 08:45 PM
watch it stoned.

Blarg
09-05-2005, 09:40 PM
This also works when watching Tom Brokaw.

arod15
09-05-2005, 11:00 PM
watch it again. After 3 views it becomes a guilty pleasure....

trying2learn
09-05-2005, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
watch it again. After 3 views it becomes a guilty pleasure....

[/ QUOTE ]

listen to your friend billy zane - he's a cool dude.

joeski19
09-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Yeah this movie sucks so... I'm going to watch it 3 more times.

Good idea. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

thatpfunk
09-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Put a cork in it Zane!

Stellastarr
09-06-2005, 01:16 AM
I give you the Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good. 2)What is this?! (throws it down) A center for ANTS?!! 1)What? 2)How can we expect to teach children to read if they can't even fit inside the building?! We need to make it at least...3 times bigger than this!

BreakEvenPlayer
09-06-2005, 01:16 AM
A vast majority of people in our generation really like this movie. It's a totally original and brilliant sketch routine created by Ben Stiller (who I agree pretty much sucks) which worked out well in a 90 minute format. This movie has many memorable scenes and is insanely quotable (which is one of Ferrell/Stiller/Owen/Vaughns' comedic skills and why we will see them in many more movies).

Your post comes off as total elitist nonsense. You sound like a whiny emo kid writing a blog about pop music. To construct a sentence such as the following is the highest level of douchebaggery.

[ QUOTE ]
all the people who said this was one of the funniest comedies ever, don't have a very good sense of humor.

[/ QUOTE ]

TheCroShow
09-06-2005, 04:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Put a cork in it Zane!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a walk-off.