PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to lose less money on this Stud 8 hand?

09-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Instead of committing suicide I've opted to post this hand. Eurobet has some problem emailing me hand histories so I have to type it up taking a few shortcuts.

Read on this specific player is that he's horrible. It's nothing short of a dream table. He and another player see every hand to 4th regardless of action before them, there are people completing their bringin with 2 low/rainbow hands. It may be the best Stud 8 table I've ever been at.

2/4 Stud 8 PP 8 handed
Hero: AhAs2c bringin
Villain: XX7s
+3 limpers with various high cards

4th
Hero: AhAs2cAd
Villain: XX7s4c
limper's cards irrelevant

I bet out, everyone calls

5th:
Hero: AhAs2cAd3c
Villain: XX7s4cAc

I bet, 2 of the other limpers fold, one and villain call

5th:
Hero: AhAs2cAd3c4d
Villain: XX7s4cAc7c

Villain bets, I raise, limper folds, villain calls. Between the 3 limpers that stayed in 3 clubs died, I have 2, he has 3 and 2 were folded on 3rd. Unless he has the only two clubs or something amazing in the hole that he has been slowplaying I'm ahead.

River:
5th:
Hero: AhAs2cAd3c4dKd
Villain: XX7s4cAc7cX

Villain bets out now. Unfortunately the thought of losing this hand with trip aces and 4 to a wheel never occured to me so I already had "bet/raise any" clicked and he 3 bets me, I call and lose to 7s full of 4s.

My question is, which streets did I misplay? It's pretty obvious that on the river I have to call in a 2/4 game since he could easily have anything from a pair of 7s ace kicker that he's showing, a low, quad 7s, anything. The only problem I really see is raising the river, but that was basically a misclick since I'm not going to raise someone that's betting into me when I have 4 to a wheel showing.

Aside from the river did I do anything wrong other than not fill up? I would offer that anyone who likes money come to this table and take my money since I was still tilting, but I just did the unthinkable and won with rolled up aces so I'm feeling a little better. That said, most people on here are probably much better at this game than me so you can take my money anyway.

djr
09-03-2005, 09:56 PM
You played it as well as could be played (aside from raising the river, which you already know). You could have bet 3rd instead of just bringing in given your hand prefers less people it might have made the rest of the hand easier.

bigredlemon
09-03-2005, 09:57 PM
you should have completed in your opening
you shouldn't raise the river

if the thought of losing aces turned trips makes you want to suicide, then stud8 is not the game for you as even rolled trips played aggressively will get cracked VERY often. Rolled trips are only about a 2 to 1 favourite against an average playable hand like 3-5-7 rainbow.

09-03-2005, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the advice. The trips hand wasn't what pissed me off, more the series of hands that led up to that one just because of how amazing the table was and my inability to do nothing but get thrashed.

Stud and Stud 8 are the main games I play online, but I'm unable to post hand histories since Eurobet never emails them when I request them. From what I've read on these forums the hand histories from my hard drive don't work for stud converter right? What about hh from Stars? I've been playing there more recently since they had the reload bonus and have a few hands that I'm unsure how I should have played and some that I butchered but I don't know quite where I went wrong, but without the converter they're less than visually appealing.

Wu36
09-03-2005, 10:52 PM
I just bring in on 3rd(I've never played 2/4 on party so there may be game dynamics which make completing better), river raise is obviously not that good without a boat or low.

Andy B
09-04-2005, 12:05 PM
I would at least consider bringing it in for a full bet, although my default play is to bring it in for the minimum and hope to pop it when the action comes back to me.

You were certainly correct to push your hand early. Sometimes you just have to lose a hand. You might take a moment to ask yourself what the other guy is betting into your ultra-scary board with on sixth, however. Raising on the river was a mistake. It is fairly unlikely that this guy doesn't have you beaten in one direction or the other.

bigredlemon
09-04-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm not sure bringing it for the minimum and hoping to pop it safe. AA2 is a very strong hand but like most strong hands in stud8--it's not that strong. I don't think the 2/4 game is aggressive enough on 3rd street to be able to count on a reraise. A lot of players will limp in with low pairs and low kickers, and we're letting them hit their hands too cheaply. If too many players come in, you're greatly hurting the strength of your hand. By completing, you are maximizing your scooping potential. If I'm going to be disguising my hand, I'll be doing it by completing with 567, 678 and various high/low burried pairs.

Andy B
09-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Well, that's just part of my overall game-plan, and it doesn't include bringing it in for a full bet very often. The limp/re-raise thing keeps folks off-balance, and it works for me. If you have a game-plan that includes bringing it in for a full bet more often, and that works for you, great.

And admittedly, my usual game is pretty aggressive.