PDA

View Full Version : Deepstacked top set-- how's my line?

Ghazban
09-03-2005, 09:06 PM
Villain is not good but is not a complete monkey, either. The goal here was to get it all in without ever having to overbet the pot. I'm operating under the assumption he has an overpair based on his flop call.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO ($247)
Button ($611.30)
SB ($258.70)
BB ($39.10)
UTG ($166.50)
Hero ($353.15)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $20</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $12.

Flop: ($45) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, Button calls $30.

Turn: ($105) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $120</font>, Button calls $90.

River: ($345) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero pushes for about $180</font>

jkkkk
09-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Turn CR looks too suspicious, if you haven't convinced someone with half a brain on the turn you've most definitely convinced them on the river. I lead the turn for 80 and push the rest on the river, simple but effective.

RiverFenix
09-03-2005, 09:14 PM
If you put him on an overpair, lead the turn again.

pokerjoker
09-03-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Turn CR looks too suspicious, if you haven't convinced someone with half a brain on the turn you've most definitely convinced them on the river. I lead the turn for 80 and push the rest on the river, simple but effective.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ghazban
09-03-2005, 09:23 PM
Even if the turn c/r looks suspicious, don't you see most villains talking themselves into a call with KK/AA? I was planning on check/calling the turn and getting it in on the river but he bet too small so I was forced to checkraise. Its also very rare for me to lead big on all 3 streets (not that villain is necessarily aware of this).

KowCiller
09-03-2005, 10:32 PM
I don't hate your line, however I'd be pretty scared villain wouldn't bet this turn, which would be my reason for betting 2/3 pot on the turn and then 1/2 pot value bet the river. Perhaps my line suggestion is a little too ABC but I think with this dry board it's going to be hard to get a lot of chips in the middle.

It sucks that ace hit the river as that's a horrible card for you.

KoW

P.S. I was working under the full table assumption, I'm not sure about 6max.

djoyce003
09-04-2005, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Even if the turn c/r looks suspicious, don't you see most villains talking themselves into a call with KK/AA? I was planning on check/calling the turn and getting it in on the river but he bet too small so I was forced to checkraise. Its also very rare for me to lead big on all 3 streets (not that villain is necessarily aware of this).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah....i really don't. I'm better than the average donk obviously but someone that leads a flop and then checkraises a turn has 1 pair absolutely crushed every time....even donks can pick up on this. I'd have insta-folded to your checkraise.

Really don't like the river push. I think you get called by precisely one hand here, AA. KK or QQ is folding at this point i'd think unless they totally suck and you said he's bad but not this bad. I'd favor a smaller bet here and maybe get a crying call from KK or QQ. I think you blew your chance for getting all the money called by not leading the turn. A big pocket would probably have raised a turn lead big...or they would at least not be as scared on the river as they should be.

Voltron87
09-04-2005, 01:03 AM
lead the turn. definitely. if i had raised preflop and was the "aggressor" in control of the hand making a flop continuation bet i might think of checking to him on the turn depending on stack sizes, but here i like the lead. make a solid lead, 3/4 pot lead, and then get it all in on your next opportunity.

ajmargarine
09-04-2005, 01:05 AM
Not understanding here. What's wrong with lead the turn, lead the river? If he has an overpair, he's much more likely to call you down in that line (or get frisky and maybe even raise you), than with the c/r line you took.

09-04-2005, 01:07 AM
Your cr on the turn is a bit much. Are you trying to get him to fold? Lead the turn and lead the river.

JaBlue
09-04-2005, 01:17 AM
I like to open push the turn but it is mostly for meta-game reasons.

You should just keep the lead the whole way. Don't want to see a check-behinded turn.

beset7
09-04-2005, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like to open push the turn but it is mostly for meta-game reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I finally caught one of the turn overbetters.

I've been seeing this a lot lately and people are getting called.

Is this working for you?

JaBlue
09-04-2005, 03:15 AM
It's working because I'm making these bets with 98, A10, air, etc. too.

I still don't know if its correct though... so much variance when you do this you can have a great night or a terrible night. So far I'm doing well.