PDA

View Full Version : Regarding banning

Greg J
09-03-2005, 09:00 PM
How acceptable is it to ban a blatant spammer whose spam is posted in a forum other than one that you moderate? I just noticed a mod just banned some clown that spammed a forum other than he mods. I have seen such spam before, and refrained from banning since I thought that might be overstepping my bounds and sort of intruding on the "turf" of other mods. Now, I would not take offence if Entity or Evan (who come to ML sometimes) banned a blatant spammer in ML, but I'm not sure if others feel the same way.

Dynasty
09-04-2005, 01:59 AM
I ban any spammer instantaneously regardless of what forum he posts in.

Then, I usually write in some humiliating location like "Loserville" in his profile.

Jurollo
09-04-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Then, I usually write in some humiliating location like "Loserville" in his profile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. Greg you might be referring to me banning a spammer yesterday, I banned him for a post in the MTT forum, then deleted it and saw the same thing in the internet gambling forum and wrote "I /images/graemlins/heart.gif banning spammers". But there was a post in the MTT forum when I banned him, it was subsequently deleted.
~Justin

Greg J
09-04-2005, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. Greg you might be referring to me banning a spammer yesterday, I banned him for a post in the MTT forum, then deleted it and saw the same thing in the internet gambling forum and wrote "I /images/graemlins/heart.gif banning spammers". But there was a post in the MTT forum when I banned him, it was subsequently deleted.
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I was refering to that post. I wasn't questioning yr judgement or anything though -- it just brought up the point in my mind.

Even if you had banned him for spamming another forum, this would have been a clear case where it was warranted. I guess my only concern is more "judgement call" bannings. I think most of us have enough sense to reaize that each brd has its own "culture". I guess we don't have to have a hard and fast rule on this, and that banning blatant spammers is fine no matter where we see it. Let's say some moron drops an N-bomb in another forum -- that would warrant a ban from me in ML, but I would just let the mod know if I saw it in another forum, and give him the honor of bannage (and deletion). (Not to say that spamming is worse than racism in any way, but you get the idea.)

Mat Sklansky
09-04-2005, 09:52 PM
A banning can always be reversed, so a questionable ban is preferable to a questionable deletion. Although we have 30 moderators now, there will be times when few are around, so a blatant spammer can and should be stopped by any with power to do so, even outside their own forum.

So bombs away, within reason.

Thanks,

Mat

durron597
09-05-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A banning can always be reversed, so a questionable ban is preferable to a questionable deletion. Although we have 30 moderators now, there will be times when few are around, so a blatant spammer can and should be stopped by any with power to do so, even outside their own forum.

So bombs away, within reason.

Thanks,

Mat

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't going to bring it up, Mat, but I banned Imgonnacry for posts like "Mat Sklansky sucks his own ****" on OOT and you unbanned him, I was just curious why.

Mat Sklansky
09-06-2005, 09:25 AM
It was only for a second, because I was going to let him reply to a stupid response I made. Then I changed my mind and reinstated the ban five minutes later.

BottlesOf
09-06-2005, 02:47 PM
I play it the same way.