PDA

View Full Version : Set up my Verizon national-access wireless-internet plan today

MicroBob
09-03-2005, 08:02 PM
This is not an endorsement for Verizon specifically.
I don't know if it's any good or not because I haven't done anything on it yet.
Cingular is out there as are a couple of other plans.

Just relating my experience so far because I suspect there are many people who are interested in this stuff.

Verizon is running TV advertisements for their national-access unlimited internet packages.

It's $59.99/mth IF you already have a Verizon voice-plan (meaning your cell is with Verizon).

It's $79.99/mth otherwise (as is the case for me...but I may switch to Verizon by Jan 5 for phone-service if all goes well to get the internet price cut-down to $59.99).

I also had to purchase a wireless network-access card.
He recommended the Kyocera KPC650 which also has a little external antenna. Costs $150 if you get the 2-year broadband/national access plan.

There are a couple of cheaper cards...including one for $49 which was their very first card but that one doesn't even get the broadband access because it's so old.

Anyway - the cust-serv rep was VERY helpful and mentioned that he's been selling quite a few of these lately (I told him it's because of the TV spots they've started running for this).

The digital cell-phone coverage area is pretty good in the Eastern half of the U.S. (they have coverage maps on the website).

Anywhere you can get Verizon digital-service you can get the internet-service which will usually be approx. 2x the speed of dial-up (which is plenty for playing online-poker...I play on regular dial-up all the time).

In the major cities you will have broadband speed...but this isn't available in Memphis yet.
No problem...probably moving in May or June anyway so maybe our new location will have it (initial plans to move to one of our favorite cities, New Orleans, have now been cancelled obviously).

I get a 15-day free-trial to see if I like it and how it works.

Obviously drop-outs are the primary concern for me.
Tdarko says he takes his with him throughout his travels. when he is in an area where he would normally have a decent cell-phone signal he doesn't have drop-out problems for the most part. He has a different plan than Verizon though I believe but I suspect it's mostly the same (no matter how much each one will tell you that they have the BEST coverage in america, blah blah blah).

There is also a concern about whether Verizon will get upset if you are on non-stop. but this is for purposes of running a server or a web-cam or something that they would have a problem.
They can terminate your service at any time if they think you are using it to host a web-site (or something like that).

but I think that even up to 10-15 hours a day surfing and internet-poker type usage would not fall into their range of problem-areas.
They teminate your internet-connection after a few minutes of non-usage anyway.

So probably they won't be as happy if you are a hard-core overnight-type data-miner on the party tables for example (which I am not).

I'm really looking forward to getting it and then purposefully going out of my way to play in a park or some area where I would not normally have internet access.

If I like it enough after the 15-day trial-period then I will be cancelling my stupid dial-up service and just using it as my primary (and also using my WiFi card when in such an area).

I especially like the idea of not paying $8-10/day for wireless service in an airport or a hotel or some other hotspot that only allows specific services (like TMobil at Starbucks) as seems to be a growing trend.

And if we happen to move to one of the markets that have the broadband access (and they should hopefully be adding more) then I will hopefully be doing even better speed-wise.

We're likely taking a road-trip at end of Sept up to Wash DC and then over to Cumberland, MD/Keyser, WV area (to visit my grandmother).
The thought of getting to play poker on the internet while we're heading up there is particularly appealing to me.

We'll see how good the coverage is...as we will be travelling through some areas that definitely won't have digital-cell service at all (especially Western Maryland and West Virginia). But for most of the trip I expect it should work pretty well.

Hope this info helps some of those who are looking to become even more portable with their computers like I am.

Uglyowl
09-03-2005, 08:23 PM
I look forward to hearing your report.

It is an interesting piece of technology. Not one that intersts me at $79/month, as I would not need it that much. Don't travel really or spend alot of time away.

Like every piece of technology though it gets better and cheaper and love to hear about it.

On my way to Vegas, Boston has paid internet (did not buy) and Las Vegas (McCaren) and Long Beach had free internet service which was great especially with a 2.5 hour delay at Vegas going home.

marsvolta619
09-03-2005, 09:38 PM
i work for best buy and trust me, if you get it from there you'll get the card for $99. The service itself is awesome. Unlimited broadband access kicks ass.

krishanleong
09-03-2005, 09:45 PM
My wife and I have a similar thing through sprint. It works well.

Krishan

Slacker13
09-03-2005, 10:23 PM
MicroBob, I was just looking into this today but didn't get enough information. Could you actually be driving in a car and use your laptop as long as your travelling through hot areas?

Smackdab
09-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Very interested in hearing your report on this Bob. I live in a rural area with no access to cable or DSL conection. I currently have Direcway but want to dump it as soon as my current contract expires. As I am currently a Verizon wireless customer so the cost is comparable but Verizon's plan gives me the flexibility of access from anywhere.

I already have wireless card on my laptop although not the antenae type. I have no problems with signal on my home or business networks. Hoefully, I won't have to upgrade wireless cards.

teddyFBI
09-03-2005, 10:58 PM
Thanks very much (as always) for your detailed post(s)

Voltron87
09-03-2005, 11:03 PM
do you have any idea what kind of bandwidth this gets?

awr000
09-03-2005, 11:06 PM
I have had this service for 9 months or so. In Dallas-Fort Worth which is one of the EVDO broadband cities. I get anywhere from 100kbps to 500kbps depending on location. I haven't tried it anywhere where I've had to drop down to the 1xRTT service which should be 70-90kbps.

I'm very pleased with this service. It is high bandwidth but has fairly high latency. 200-300ms pings to most places.

MicroBob
09-03-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Could you actually be driving in a car and use your laptop as long as your travelling through hot areas?

[/ QUOTE ]

It will pick up either the broadband (available in select large markets) OR the digital cell-phone signal.

For me in Memphis I'm just picking up the digital-cell signal...which gives me internet-access at 2x the speed of regular dial-up for the most part (sometimes worse if you are further away from the cell-tower or there is heavy-usage).

Basically...any playce where you get Verizon digital cell-phone coverage you have internet-access.
So yes...you can be in your car on the highway....or on the beach...or wherever. As long as you have the digital cell-phone service (which is getting closer and closer to being just about anywhere you could regular cell-phone service).

when I got to my grandmother's in Keyser, WV I'll be out of luck. No digital cell-phone service there.
Same would go for anyplace remote enough where you just don't get any bars on your cell-phone for a signal (for the most part)

but when I'm in Washington DC or Atlanta or somethere then I can be anywhere in the city have full hi-speed broadband...and this would be ANYWHERE within the city.
And then once I leave the city (if I'm riding in a car for example) I'll stay connected...but at some point I won't have broadband hi-speed anymore and I'll just be back to digital-cell speed.

So what I'm getting is the combo package.
Broadband Access and Digital Access.
Broadband in select large markets.
Digital in most of the country.

MicroBob
09-03-2005, 11:15 PM
I'm pretty sure you would have to update your wireless card.

Although I'm not sure what Direcway is...but to have the digital-cellular signal I think you need the special card.

MicroBob
09-03-2005, 11:17 PM
I'll check out Best Buy and see.

The guy said that it wouldn't ship out until Tuesday. So perhaps I would be able to cancel the order if I got it cheaperr.

Thanks for the tip.

MicroBob
09-03-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

do you have any idea what kind of bandwidth this gets?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be honest that I don't know my way around the speed-lingo very well.
Somebody else can tell me if these speeds are decent are not.

TDarko indicated (and a couple others I believe) indicated that what they were getting was pretty decent.

"NationalAccess is capable of data speeds bursting up to 144 kbps, delivering average speeds up to 60 to 80 kbps. Speed claim based on our network tests with 5 MB FTP data files, without compression. Actual throughput speed and coverage vary."

"BroadbandAccess offers typical download speed of 300-500 KBPS capable of reaching speeds up to 2 MPBS.

BBA Speed Disclaimer: Because of the difference in upload speeds, we do not recommend using Verizon Wirelss BroadbandAccess for video conferencing or other applications that require faster upload speeds."

Verizon NationalAccess link (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/nationalaccess/index.jsp?action=nationalAccess)

Voltron87
09-03-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have had this service for 9 months or so. In Dallas-Fort Worth which is one of the EVDO broadband cities. I get anywhere from 100kbps to 500kbps depending on location. I haven't tried it anywhere where I've had to drop down to the 1xRTT service which should be 70-90kbps.

I'm very pleased with this service. It is high bandwidth but has fairly high latency. 200-300ms pings to most places.

[/ QUOTE ]

what exactly is latency?

i live in nyc, so thats the only place id need high speed. when i travel i just need poker/surfing. probably would work for me.

MicroBob
09-03-2005, 11:42 PM
I would be willing to bet it would work great for you.

Unless you really need to rely on super high-speed stuff I think it would work fine.

As I mentioned in the original-post....you get a 15-day trial period to test it out.
Obviously I could run into more problems after the 15 days (like experiencing more frequent drop-outs) and will be less-than-thrilled that I'm stuck with it for 2 years (or I can cancel the plan for $175 I believe) but I'm going for it anyway.
I suspect it will suit my needs just fine..and you only live once.

Mendacious
09-04-2005, 12:01 AM
I have it an use it in Miami. I've experienced virtually no drop outs using it for hours on end-- even while driving from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale (I know-- not very safe). Not necessarily the greatest for loading web pages quickly, but for multi-tabling it works beautifully, even with low signal. It pays for itself.

JRussell
09-04-2005, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I like it enough after the 15-day trial-period then I will be cancelling my stupid dial-up service and just using it as my primary (and also using my WiFi card when in such an area).

[/ QUOTE ]

The Verizon cellular card I have (sounds like the same one you have) also works as a standard wi-fi card too. It automatically detects and uses the fastest/strongest signal available.

Another nice feature is that you can just change the plan over to a Verizon cell phone if you decide you don't want/like it. This way you're not really stuck with the cellular internet for the entire 2 year contract.

MicroBob
09-04-2005, 12:05 AM
Holy crap...not only unsafe while driving...but moreso with those idiot Florida drivers from miami to Ft. Lauderdale.

My GF's best friend lives down there and just had her car totalled last week (and she wasn't even surfing the internet while she was driving).
Think she was on the turnpike or I-95 or somewhere.

Dude, seriously. Take it easy with that surfing-and-driving.
On a highway in the middle-of-nowhere-Nebraska or something would be one thing.
But between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale?? Not good!!!

awr000
09-04-2005, 12:11 AM
Latency in basic terms means how long it takes to get a response (not the offical definition...network gurus please be gentle) for poker and surfing it shoulnd't matter unless it gets really high (1 second or more) for the most part it won't matter to you unless your playing FPS games or some MMORPG's.

MicroBob
09-04-2005, 12:33 AM
300ms or less is going to be plenty fast-enough for internet-poker.

Actually...even 700ms ping will be acceptable for the most part...and that would be REALLY slow...like if you are downloading a couple web-pages on your dial-up line or something.

The lobby and tables at true-poker will show you your latency in ms (milli-seconds, 1000ms = 1 second).

I'm familiar with ms, latency and ping-time from my days on the Internet Chess Club (you were supposed to 'ping' your latency to ensure that you had a decent connection..especially if you were playing a speed-chess game for example)

Voltron87
09-04-2005, 12:54 AM
yeah im going to check it out. the only thing is that one of the rooms in my apartment doesnt get cellphone service (my bedroom) since its an old building with thick walls. im guessing that this will have problems there. but if it is viable, and 60$ a month is more than worth it to me, then it will be great to have on the road.

iceman5
09-04-2005, 01:18 AM
I have the T-Mobile service which is $30/month but is around dial up speed. Ive used it all over the place including while driving (my wife was actually driving not me)

At work, we have a laptop with the Verizon service. It is supossed to be broadband speed and costs $80 / month but Ive had it side by side beside my laptop and Ive raced them going to different web pages and its been almost exactly a tie everytime.

I dont know how thats possible since Verizon says they are broadband and T-Mobile isnt, but like I said, they are about the same speed, at least in my office.

I have no problems playing poker with my setup and it stays on somewhere around 6 hours per day.

uncleshady
09-04-2005, 03:38 AM
I do this already with my treo 600 for free. 144kbps from wherever I have sprint phone coverage. Doesnt cost a cent extra a month.

cassette
09-04-2005, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I do this already with my treo 600 for free. 144kbps from wherever I have sprint phone coverage. Doesnt cost a cent extra a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

I imagine it would be difficult to 4-table on a Treo.

uncleshady
09-04-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I imagine it would be difficult to 4-table on a Treo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh...

The treo hooks up via USB to laptop or desktop.

So yeah, it does just about the same thing as the verizon wireless access card.

Slacker13
09-04-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Holy crap...not only unsafe while driving...but moreso with those idiot Florida drivers from miami to Ft. Lauderdale.

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who lives in Ft Lauderdale I strongly agree with you.
This service would be great for business though. Numerous times I have needed internet in the car for one reason or another for business reasons. I am definately getting this service.

Mendacious
09-04-2005, 12:35 PM
I only single table while driving /images/graemlins/smile.gif and only under certain conditions. Once you've multitabled you'd be amazed at how easy it is to play with just a glance at the table. It takes about 3, 1 second bursts of concentration a minute--assuming you don't fold. In slow bumper to bumper traffic with a good gap in front of you it is fairly easy.

Slacker13
09-04-2005, 01:02 PM
I use to be able to roll a joint and drive with my knee, but those days are over.

Slacker13
09-04-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I currently have Direcway

[/ QUOTE ]
Ugh! I dealt with that piece of crap myself for 2 years. I did cartwheels when earthlink moved into the neighborhood.

One word of warning, when I cancelled my direcway they were suppose to come by and pick up the equipment, they never did and charged me $650 on my credit card. After 10-15 calls I just gave up and paid it. So if you ever in the position to be able to cancel them make sure you stay on top of them.