PDA

View Full Version : Polite Suggestion: More civility in the forums

Jurollo
09-03-2005, 06:56 PM
This isn't a rule or anything I am just going to suggest that everyone be a little more patient and open minded to other posters in this forum. We are all here for the same reason, to learn poker, help others learn it, or discuss it. There really isn't a need for the negativity and personal crap that has been going on and frankly, while it might not be as 'edgy' as it is now the forum would be umpteen times more helpful if we just cut the BS that has been going on here and stick to poker or something somewhat related to it. Opinions will differ and spirited debate is vigorously encouraged but keep them as opinions on the subject and not cuts at others and everything will be happy.

"Can't we all just get along?"
-Rodney King

~Justin

AtticusFinch
09-04-2005, 03:51 AM
Yes, please. Most especially, stop flaming newbies. Today's newbies are tomorrow's MLGs. You can point out newbie foibles, but do it nicely.

Besides, this board sometimes gets hung up on standard "correct" plays. Newbies can bring fresh ideas to help challenge entrenched dogma and improve our playbook. But only if they're not run off by curmudgeons flaming them for asking "stupid" questions.

Yes, we all know people should use the search funtction, but we also all know that the search on this site bloody well sucks. So cool it.

Love and kisses,
-AF

MeanGreenTT
09-04-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, please. Most especially, stop flaming newbies. Today's newbies are tomorrow's MLGs. You can point out newbie foibles, but do it nicely.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to be happening a LOT and not from long term members but from high post counters...seems like typical internet muscles to me. I help mod a LARGE sports car forum and I've seen it ALL over there, nothing new unfortunately /images/graemlins/frown.gif

justT
09-04-2005, 01:32 PM
I think you could use the FAQ to alleviate some of the hostility. Instead of flaming a newbie for posting a bad beat or for asking how often he should be getting to the final table, people could simply say "go read the FAQ on this issue and come back if it didn't answer you question"

It might also be worthwhile to link back to some of the classic posts/threads for questions like:
1)I keep getting blinded out, what do I have to do to get deep in the money?
2) how do you play a bigstack?
3) should I fold AA preflop)
4) how should I play the bubble?

Scuba Chuck
09-04-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you could use the FAQ to alleviate some of the hostility. Instead of flaming a newbie for posting a bad beat or for asking how often he should be getting to the final table, people could simply say "go read the FAQ on this issue and come back if it didn't answer you question"

It might also be worthwhile to link back to some of the classic posts/threads for questions like:

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. You can answer 1-4 just by playing and visiting the SNG forum.

CardSharpCook
09-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Screw that!!! I like being a jackazz!!!

cha59
09-04-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. You can answer 1-4 just by playing and visiting the SNG forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally speaking, I agree with your statement Scuba.

The SNG forum is excellent, however I find that strategy (at least for me) can change once you get deep into a MTT vs. a SNG.

AtticusFinch
09-05-2005, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to be happening a LOT and not from long term members but from high post counters...seems like typical internet muscles to me. I help mod a LARGE sports car forum and I've seen it ALL over there, nothing new unfortunately /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad but true. But we should try and do better. I just made a long post about this on the SNG forum (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3321398&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1).