PDA

View Full Version : how the f did this magician do this trick

Roswell
09-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Last night I was out to dinner and a magician came up and started doing various card and coin tricks. This guy was pretty amazing. The most incredible trick he did was this: he gave me 4 silver dollars, had me close my palm, and said "one of them will appear in my hand." He then opens his (previously empty) hand and there's a single silver dollar there. I then open my palm and now there's only THREE silver dollars there! WTF!!

We asked him about the trick later and he said there was a common trick in which the magician has 4 coins, closes his palm, and opens it to reveal only 3 coins. However, his modification was that an audience member holds the 4 coins, and one disappears. He said "There's only one thing people can do to screw it up, but they almost never do it."

So how did he do it??

btw, I asked if he knew about Antonio and he did not. that's not rocks and rings.

-Skeme-
09-03-2005, 06:57 PM
He puts 3 coins in your hand.

tbach24
09-03-2005, 06:57 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
btw, I asked if he knew about Antonio and he did not. that's not rocks and rings.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

09-03-2005, 06:59 PM
i think i stopped being impressed by magic when i turned 4.

Roswell
[ QUOTE ]
He puts 3 coins in your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems it must be something like this. However, I'm pretty sure he gave me 4 coins, said "count them, then close your palm." I counted 4 and closed my hand.

tbach24
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i stopped being impressed by nits before i was born...yeah i went there

Alobar
09-03-2005, 07:14 PM
I'm gunna go out on a limb here and say......magic

blaze666
09-03-2005, 07:25 PM
Did the guy have glasses, a mpo haircut and look very geeky?

If so, you were probably talking to bill gates.

IQ89
09-03-2005, 08:03 PM
I can see why this trick is traditionally done in the magician's hand. I'm not a magician but when I was a kid I spent my fair share of time in joke shops/magic stores. I know they have coins that are hollow which will slip over one of the other coins used in the trick.

09-03-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i stopped being impressed by nits before i was born...yeah i went there

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jimbo
09-03-2005, 08:40 PM
It is a variation of the Scotch and Soda Trick (http://www.vikingmagiccompany.com/?nd=full&amp;key=334)

touchfaith
09-03-2005, 08:45 PM
who cares

Al P
09-03-2005, 09:30 PM
He obviously works for the government.

They do that [censored] to my paycheck too.

Sephus
09-03-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they have coins that are hollow which will slip over one of the other coins used in the trick.

[/ QUOTE ]

okayplayer
09-03-2005, 11:13 PM
This is kinda along the same lines, but did anyone see the David Blaine specials last week? That man is sick! I still have no idea how he did some of that isht. Especially the levitation. And he also made some cat's signature appear on the dollar bill.

jstnrgrs
09-03-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is kinda along the same lines, but did anyone see the David Blaine specials last week? That man is sick! I still have no idea how he did some of that isht. Especially the levitation. And he also made some cat's signature appear on the dollar bill.

[/ QUOTE ]

The levitation is done by lifting him off the ground with a pulley system after everyone in the audience has gone home. The footage of him off the ground is then edited into the rest of the show.

Magic on TV is not any more impressive that explosions in movies (and other special effects). I think its actually less impressive.

okayplayer
09-04-2005, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The levitation is done by lifting him off the ground with a pulley system after everyone in the audience has gone home. The footage of him off the ground is then edited into the rest of the show.

[/ QUOTE ]
But he did this while walking on the streets performing magic tricks to random people. It seems a little excessive and a little - hmmm, what's the word I'm looking for? - paranoid(?), that these are all just TV special effects and the "random" people are all in on it. But maybe I am just easily fooled. I even have Tivo and slowplayed most of the tricks, and was only able to see a couple "tricks" revealed.

jokerthief
09-04-2005, 12:13 AM
The levitation can be done in front of people. What he does is he stands at an angle to them and lifts himself up with one foot (goes up on his toes). Because of the angle it looks to the audience like he floated three or four inches off the ground. That's how he gets the audience reaction, then later he gets pulled up by a pully.

TheWorstPlayer
09-04-2005, 01:40 AM
Yes, they had a show on TV with him explaining all this a few years ago.

bort411
09-04-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We asked him about the trick later and he said there was a common trick in which the magician has 4 coins, closes his palm, and opens it to reveal only 3 coins. However, his modification was that an audience member holds the 4 coins, and one disappears. He said "There's only one thing people can do to screw it up, but they almost never do it."

[/ QUOTE ]

The Alliance is going to be pissed.

fluxrad
09-04-2005, 02:00 AM
David Blaine is a hack.

If you want to see a ridiculously good magician, check out Tom Mullica.

Ribbo
09-04-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Magic on TV is not any more impressive that explosions in movies (and other special effects). I think its actually less impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect sir, there is no pulley used. All he does is lift one foot off the ground and the toe of the other foot, raising both toes together at the same time. The heel of the second foot remains on the ground, but because of the angle it is being viewed at, it looks like both feet leave the ground. There are many pages you can google up to see for yourself.

djj6835
09-04-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Incorrect sir, there is no pulley used. All he does is lift one foot off the ground and the toe of the other foot, raising both toes together at the same time. The heel of the second foot remains on the ground, but because of the angle it is being viewed at, it looks like both feet leave the ground. There are many pages you can google up to see for yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read his post again. There are two tricks he does, one where he is only a few inches off the ground and another where he is several feet of the ground. A pulley is used for the latter. The reaction of the crowd from the levetation you described is spliced into the footage of him several feet off the ground.

youtalkfunny
09-04-2005, 02:24 AM
I can't explain the "four coins become three" trick.

But the "Scotch and Soda" one seems mighty simple to me (answer in white):

<font color="white">That Chinese coin is about the same size as a quarter, no? Why on earth would he use a Chinese coin, instead of a regular coin? My bet is, it looked Chinese when you put it in your hand, then it changed colors when your hand warmed it up. </font>

M2d
09-04-2005, 02:26 AM
http://www.onlyolivia.com/music/albums/data/magic1.jpg

You have to believe we are magic
Nothin' can stand in our way
You have to believe we are magic
Don't let your aim ever stray
And if all your hopes survive
Your destiny will arrive
I'll bring all your dreams alive
For you

mcb
09-04-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can see why this trick is traditionally done in the magician's hand. I'm not a magician but when I was a kid I spent my fair share of time in joke shops/magic stores. I know they have coins that are hollow which will slip over one of the other coins used in the trick.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the correct answer, esp. if the coins were of different denominations

Roswell
09-04-2005, 03:35 AM
I made a mistake in my original post. The trick used fifty-cent pieces, not silver dollars. And the magician had me inspect the coins ahead of time, so I'm pretty sure they were genuine, not special hollow coins.

The only response that was interesting was "he only put 3 coins in your hand." However, as I said, I counted 4 coins before closing my hand.

Jimbo
09-04-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I made a mistake in my original post. The trick used fifty-cent pieces, not silver dollars. And the magician had me inspect the coins ahead of time, so I'm pretty sure they were genuine, not special hollow coins.

The only response that was interesting was "he only put 3 coins in your hand." However, as I said, I counted 4 coins before closing my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You inspected 4 coins, just not the same 4 coins he placed in your hand. This is really nothing special at all. I could teach you how to do it well in 20 minutes. As others pointed out one of the half dollars is a shell, it slips over one of the real half dollars. This is also how Scotch and Soda works only with a Chinese coin and half dollar(s).

Yeti
09-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Jimbo, seeing as you seem to know what you're talking about, please help me out (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=exchange&amp;Number=3184456&amp;Fo rum=f20&amp;Words=-re%3A&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Main=3184456&amp;Search=tr ue&amp;where=bodysub&amp;Name=12627&amp;daterange=1&amp;newerval=1 &amp;newertype=m&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp;bodyprev=#Post31 84456). Thanks.

Jimbo
09-04-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jimbo, seeing as you seem to know what you're talking about, please help me out (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=exchange&amp;Number=3184456&amp;Fo rum=f20&amp;Words=-re%3A&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Main=3184456&amp;Search=tr ue&amp;where=bodysub&amp;Name=12627&amp;daterange=1&amp;newerval=1 &amp;newertype=m&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp;bodyprev=#Post31 84456). Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The response by Jedi was correct, use a fake thumbtip.

Thumbtip (http://www.fljerry.com/flj0033.html)

Yeti
09-04-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The response by Jedi was correct, use a fake thumbtip.

Thumbtip (http://www.fljerry.com/flj0033.html)

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, thanks.

-Skeme-
09-04-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sleight of hand and misdirection can be beautiful things. And the thumb trick is used with a fake thumb. The magician at the magic shop in downtown Seattle did this for me and my friends like 3 times in a row and we couldn't guess it. He even pulled the [censored] thing from his mouth. Later he showed us how to do it, cool guy.

Yeti
09-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Ahah, I can see the fake thumbs on the video now. Sweet.

Tailgunner
09-04-2005, 12:49 PM
I think I've seen that one before.

http://www.progressiveboink.com/b/images/scenes/10f.jpg

LeatherFace
09-04-2005, 12:50 PM
As much as I hate revealing magic tricks you guys are both wrong. In one of his shoes the bottom of it is cut off near the front and he gets at the one angle to his audience and he slips his toes out of the one shoe and then balances on those toes. To the audience they will see both of his shoes clearly off of the ground and it looks quite realistic.

-Skeme-
09-04-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I've seen that one before.

http://www.progressiveboink.com/b/images/scenes/10f.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao

[ QUOTE ]
As much as I hate revealing magic tricks you guys are both wrong. In one of his shoes the bottom of it is cut off near the front and he gets at the one angle to his audience and he slips his toes out of the one shoe and then balances on those toes. To the audience they will see both of his shoes clearly off of the ground and it looks quite realistic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is the most common trick for magicians with 3ft long toes.