PDA

View Full Version : Umm, I don't know, "call"

TylerD
09-03-2005, 06:38 PM
$1/2 $200 PLO8.

UTG calls, 3 folds, I ($450) call from MP with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif J9, button calls, SB completes, BB raps.

Flop: 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked to button ($200) who bets $7 (no real read, seems quite aggro) into a $12 pot, SB ($100) calls (no read), I call (?).

Turn: 9h SB bets $31 pot, I call, button calls.

Thoughts? Plan for river scenarios?

Wintermute
09-03-2005, 06:56 PM
It's actually a good spot to jam on the turn, IMO. The fact that you don't have counterfeit protection is a little troublesome, but with the nut heart draw & top pair, you're likely to be in good shape %-wise at this point, so get the money in now. BTW, top pair is generally a good enough high hand to go to war with when you also have nut low, because you are often facing another nut low with no high at all. Bringing the button along as you did is OK, but I'd prefer to show aggression here so that I can buy pots later.

Also, in this case, you might get a decent high-only hand (set or two pair) to muck and be up against a nut-low/no-high hand.

As you played it, I'm pushing everything in on the river barring a counterfeit of the low.

Ribbo
09-03-2005, 07:10 PM
You hit the perfect turn card and you just called. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Burdzthewurd
09-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Wouldn't Jh be the perfect card? Looks like SB could have made some donk straight with 85 here or something to that effect. I like shoving the turn as well, but yeah, shove the river if it doesn't counterfeit you?

Ribbo
09-03-2005, 08:14 PM
No, because nobody is going to play cards that make that straight on the turn. However if you shove the turn then the guy with the 56 straight on the flop suddenly gets extremely twitchy. With 2 flush draws plus a higher straight just hitting and someone reraising the turn, he may feel his time is over, and your top pair on average will be way ahead of the other guy with A2. However if someone really and truely wants to call that flop with an 8T draw, then good luck to them.

TylerD
09-04-2005, 01:08 PM
I'm getting better implied odds by just calling and trying to bring the button along. Although there's a chance my pair 9s is good against SB I think I have more equity in calling and trying to hit the flush against two opponents.

Wintermute
09-04-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm getting better implied odds by just calling and trying to bring the button along. Although there's a chance my pair 9s is good against SB I think I have more equity in calling and trying to hit the flush against two opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think it's a pretty even toss-up (bring the button along, or raising to try to pick up the pot right there/isolate another nut low with no high), then to break the tie the things you might consider are the playing styles of your opponents and the image you want to project. Based on how they play, you'll have an idea of whether your flush will be paid off if it comes, or whether you need to get the money in ahead of time with a strong made hand and draw.