PDA

View Full Version : Well, That Was Pretty Stooopid....

jasonHoldEm
04-21-2003, 12:45 AM
Hi guys,

I'm working on learning NLHE, this is my bust-out hand from tonight's single table tournament. I know I didn't play it right, I'm not looking to get berated, I'm just trying to figure out how I should have played it differently.

Single Table Tournament, Four players left (top three paid), Stacks are pretty even, blinds are 200/400.

I'm in SB with KQo, CO limps, Button folds, I complete, BB checks.

Flop: 4, 6, K two-suited

I bet the pot ($1200) leaving me with $500 in my stack, BB folds, CO raises me all-in...I call (oops). He's got AKo and takes me out when I don't hit my three outer.

I hate hands like KQo because they're so easy to get into trouble with. I'm guessing I should have raised pre-flop to get a better idea of where I was (and possibly pick it up). Although the CO would have obviously called/raised someone limping with a weaker hand might have tossed it to a raise. If you think I should have raised pre-flop what size bet would you use? The reason I bet the flop was to prevent a flush draw from calling...with the stacks pretty even at around $2K a 1200 bet is pretty serious, instead I end up trapping myself. Do you think I should have bet less (or checked?).

Thanks in advance,
jHE

Greg (FossilMan)
04-21-2003, 10:02 AM
There is no intelligent way to play this hand and not go broke. After flopping top pair against 1 limper and the BB, I don't see how you could ever fold. And, if you raise preflop, it ought to be an all-in raise, in which case you'll lose after the AK calls.

If the AK had played his hand right, he would've raised, and depending upon how tight he plays, you might've correctly chosen to fold your SB preflop. Other than that, you're in there all the way for this hand and these circumstances.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

ohkanada
04-21-2003, 11:38 AM
I doubt I would raise pre-flop because of a limper but it would not be terrible. If I did it would be all-in.

On the flop once you have hit top pair, I would go all-in. Leaving yourself 500 is silly.

Once the AK limps and you hit top pair with a good kicker, you are in trouble. 4 handed KQ is a nice hand.

Ken Poklitar

jasonHoldEm
04-21-2003, 04:12 PM
Well, that's reassuring...guess it wasn't so stoopid after all.

Thanks,
jHE

gunbuster
04-22-2003, 11:36 AM
I would have busted on this one too. I would have either pushed in pre-flop, or completed the SB and pushed all-in on the flop. With the blinds at 200-400 and having only $1800, I'm not going to wait around for AK, KQ is good enough.

Checking the flop would have given a free card to anyone on the flush draw, and the BB might have flopped a straight draw.

Ultimately, you're in a bad position, which leaves you pretty vulnerable. If you put in a pot-raise pre-flop, you might drive out everyone but AK, but you're still first to act.