PDA

View Full Version : Going on tilt online

deathtoau
04-21-2003, 12:26 AM
Does anyone have any advice for avoiding going on tilt playing internet poker? /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
I can play live for hours getting boats cracked and all I have to do is stand up and take a few deep breaths and I calm down. But when I play at my computer, the money just doesn't seem real and I can't stay focused on my hands and end up losing way more money then I should. I have resolved not to play online again until I can get myself straight. please help.

jasonHoldEm
04-21-2003, 01:06 AM
Well, I'd say get up from the computer and take a few deep breaths. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

But I get what you're saying, I think it's happened to all of us at one time or another (and those who haven't had it happen just haven't been playing long enough).

There's a much bigger danger of going on tilt online than in B&M because the hands come so much faster (roughly twice as fast) so tilting online is going to cost you a lot more, and also what you said about the money not seeming real is very true as well. It's a lot easier to click a mouse than to push some chips in on a bad hand.

Personally, I have a post-it note attached to my monitor that reads "Don't Be Stooopid!" It doesn't work all the time, but when I get frustrated about my AA getting cracked against something ridiculous it definately helps to calm me down a little.

If all else fails, sit out for a hand or two, pull out a twenty from your wallet and light it on fire...good object lesson that it's actually real money you're playing with.

peace,
jHE

Instinct
04-21-2003, 01:14 AM
All I can really share is my experience. When I first started playing online I found I was often doing the same and it was costing me alot of money. A bunch of bad beats, and a bad string of cards seemed to put me on tilt more than I ever have in a live game. It just seemed so easy to press the wrong button.

The swings seem to be bigger on line, maybe because so many hands can be played per hour. (especially when you play 2 tables ) A bad 8 hr session, where nothing seems to hit, gets compacted into less than half the time, so the losses seem to hurt more.

One thing I have changed this year is having accounts at numerous sites therefore having more table selection so I tend not to stay in a bad game for as long when I'm stuck. I'm often checking out the other sites when I'm playing.

Secondly I play at lower limits than I used to. I used to play the higher limits ( where the swings can be more drastic ) wheras now I play lower limits (3-6 mostly, sometimes 2-4 and 5-10) and only venture the higher limits when I see a great game, and even then its rare. Try and only play limits whereby you have the proper bankroll to handle a few really bad sessions.

I also only play more than one game when on my game ( concentating and playing reasonably well ) If I'm more interested in the hockey game that's on then I only play 1 table.

Hope this helps.

Instinct

jasonHoldEm
04-21-2003, 01:21 AM
Just in case you don't believe me /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

http://members.aol.com/surfnet96/IM000225.jpg

peace,
jHE

rusty JEDI
04-21-2003, 01:45 AM
I generally dont tilt because i see bad beats as long term profit. It is all those long shots missing all the time that pay you off so much by missing more often than not. Look down at the players chips that are causing your tilt and envision them all coming back over the next hour. Be sure not to force it though. It will take time, and forcing it is not playing your best game.

And the next time you pull in a pot after all those fish call you to the river and then muck when you show your hand. Envision all those bottom pairs and missed runner runners that just paid you off.

crazy canuck
04-21-2003, 06:14 AM
Maybe I should use it as a wallpaper on my computer /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

crazy canuck
04-21-2003, 06:23 AM
I usually tilt after marathon sessions (once I played 40 hrs straight), so now I play 8 hrs most. If you are very prone to tilt maybe you should play 2,3, or 4 hrs initially...whatever you can handle and work your way up.

RollaJ
04-21-2003, 08:33 AM
I found myself titlting for the first time online this past Friday, I was playing heads up NLHE on party at the $25 tables and lost 4 buyins before I realized I couldnt beat this guy, granted I got my money in with the best of it most of the times, but it didnt help..... I finally "got up" and left the table. I took a 2 hour break from poker, came back played 20 hands and noticed I was still on tilt, altho not losing money, so I stopped for the night...... I watched Red Dragon......damn fine movie /forums/images/icons/grin.gif (dont be mislead by how bad Hanibal was, and this was much better than the original Red Dragon movie as well

jasonHoldEm
04-21-2003, 04:19 PM
Anyone else see a trend in these posts? Maybe there's a more natural way to stay calm and not go on tilt (I hear it's good for glacoma as well).

Man, I miss the good old days... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

jHE

PS - Canuck, I put that sign up after a really bad session (-70 BB)...it's surprising how well its worked since then.

Hung
04-21-2003, 04:53 PM
Long time profit. LOL
I would just stop playing for awhile. 5 or 10 minutes. I used to tilt every 5 minutes. Because some idiot called with middle or small pair and got his set on the turn or river. A post-it is not so bad. You can make a list of things.
Don't draw for second best.
Don't go after one player.
Don't draw for a straight heads-up
Don't call till the river when an ace flopped
And many more. Just make the list and stick it on your screen.