PDA

View Full Version : What to do with this set?

iceman5
09-03-2005, 02:04 PM
When I flop a set in a raised pot, I can never figure out how the hand is affected by there being a flush draw on the flop.

Lets back up for a sec.

Lets say I raise with KK and get called. The flop is T64 with a flush draw. He checks, I bet 3/4 pot and he calls. The turn is a brick. Because of the flush draw, Im much less likely to check behind on the turn for fear of giving him a free card.....fast forward to my hand

MP raises to $30, button calls, SB calls and I call in the BB with 22.

Pot is $120. The flop comes 762 with 2 clubs. SB checks, I check (planning to raise big if anyone calls MPs inevitable bet). MP bets full pot $120 and its folded back to me.

OK. Should I flat call here to let him think I might be drawing? If I flat call, hes much less likely to check behind (like I said I would be in my first example). Then I can check raise the turn and probably stack him if he has an overpair. (I have $950 and he has me covered).

09-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Normally, in this spot I like to check-raise. Your reasoning makes sense, but in this hand there is both a flush and a straight draw out there, thus too many cards that will slow him down or scare him away entirely. The only reason I'd ever slowplay a set vs. preflop raiser on a double draw board is if I never check-raised on a semi-bluff in this spot, which I assume you occaisonally do. I'd have to go for a check-raise this time. Like your line on a board of say 2-6-9 though.

09-03-2005, 02:21 PM
I have run into this scenario multiple times, and can't quite get a feeling of how much to check raise. Since I'm not 100% sure, I generally triple or quadruple what the bettor has just come at me with. So in your case, after the $120 bet, I'd raise $360 or $480, depending on how the board looks. What do you usually check raise in this situation?

09-03-2005, 02:32 PM
I like to go a little less, just to increase the chance of a call. Of course my semi-bluffs are raised to the same. In this spot, 320-360 works for me.

Yeti
09-03-2005, 02:35 PM
If you make a _big_ check-raise here a lot of people will think you are drawing.

FWIW I would usually lead in this spot.

emil3000
09-03-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like to go a little less, just to increase the chance of a call. Of course my semi-bluffs are raised to the same. In this spot, 320-360 works for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't checkraise semibluff to 360.

iceman5
09-03-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you make a _big_ check-raise here a lot of people will think you are drawing.

FWIW I would usually lead in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do lead sometimes with a set, but I usually do it when there are other callers who have to act after me and before the raiser so they get caught in between if they call and the preflop raiser raises.

In this case, I wanted to let the preflop raiser bet..and then see if either of the other 2 guys does anything before I decide what to do. If preflop raiser bets $120 and the button calls, now I can trap his money by raising....whereas if I lead and the raiser raised, the button probably folds alot more hands than he wouldve called with if it wasnt an bet AND raise to him.

In this hand, I did check raise to $360.

Yeti
09-03-2005, 02:43 PM
Fair points. I would CR more though.

09-03-2005, 03:30 PM
can anyone explain to me why you should check-rase more than 3X the bet? Seems like enough for anyone to fold overpairs up to and including JJ, why would u need to bet more on a semibluff (or a set, here)?

09-03-2005, 04:40 PM
I like to lead into the raiser with a hand like this. It gives him the opportunity to either raise you, or put you in. If he raises you, then you move in. If he moves you in, then it comes down to people. If you're certain he doesn't have an overset, you call it. I mean, he represented strength pre-flop, if he does have a overpair, he's gonna reraise you. I think you get more money that way. If you check raise, he will probably release his hand, meaning less money. Am I wrong?

iceman5
09-03-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like to lead into the raiser with a hand like this. It gives him the opportunity to either raise you, or put you in. If he raises you, then you move in. If he moves you in, then it comes down to people. If you're certain he doesn't have an overset, you call it. I mean, he represented strength pre-flop, if he does have a overpair, he's gonna reraise you. I think you get more money that way. If you check raise, he will probably release his hand, meaning less money. Am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said, leading into him is a good play sometimes, but in this hand there are 2 other players in the hand that i wouldnt mind getting some money from also.

If I lead and he makes a big raise, those guys are folding almost everything. If I check and the guy bets $100-$120, one of the other guys is likely to call with 99 or something like that and I will take some of their money aong with the other guys money.

fsuplayer
09-03-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
MP bets full pot $120 and its folded back to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like moving in here more and more lately.

its such a gross overbet, it gets called by any overpair a good amount of time.