PDA

View Full Version : 88 in the SB at the Taj 2/4

taiga
04-20-2003, 04:41 PM
5 players call, I complete (holding 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/club.gif ), BB checks. 7 players to the flop.

Flop: 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif K /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

I bet, bb folds, loose player (LP) calls, 2 folds to a regular (R) who raises, button folds, I reraise, LP call, R caps (at this point I was putting him on KK <forgot to think about JJ>... but he didn't raise preflop... hmmm), I call, LP calls.

Turn: J /forums/images/icons/club.gif

I check (playing scared on short stacks at this point), LP checks, R bets, I call, LP calls

River: 5 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

I check (still scared), LP checks, R bets, I call, LP calls

Results coming soon...

haakee
04-20-2003, 05:13 PM
Raise the turn. You can't fear monsters just because the flop was capped.

anatta
04-21-2003, 03:28 AM
I would go ahead and bet out on the turn and call if he raises. This way you avoid a free card to a draw, but only have to call a raise and not a three-bet if you were to check-raise and he has KJ (likely), or JJ, KK (less likely given no pre-flop raise).

I don't like the short stack stuff. Have lots of chips in front of you or go home.

rayrns
04-21-2003, 07:09 AM
Could he not be holding A-Ko. Everyone limped pre-flop, you bet out on the flop but he can put you on J's or K's and he is still ahead holding top pair top kicker. When the J hits on the turn he has top 2 pair top kicker and will bet until someone bets at him and shows him he might be behind. I think I would have had to bet at him on the turn or river and then call if he re-raised.

taiga
04-21-2003, 09:21 AM
R showed AKo for 2 pairs
LP showed a J6o for trips
I took it down with 8s over Js

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions.

Is there still a reason to bet on the turn or river if you can place R on KJ or KK? Obviously I judged wrong in this case and lost a couple of BBs.

anatta
04-21-2003, 01:58 PM
Very nice read with the AK! I didn't put him on AK since he didn't raise pre-flop, but with many limpers, he just might have it. A lot of times a bet from the blinds on the flop into a huge field means a flush draw, so AK capping the flop makes even more sense.

lil'
04-21-2003, 02:35 PM
I don't think you can place him on J-J or K-K, because, as you said, he didn't raise pre-flop. While occasionally people limp with A-A, a limp with K-K or J-J is very rare.

I would have put him in a straight flush draw or something of that nature, and bet the turn.