PDA

View Full Version : I know I'll be labeled a racist....

09-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Let's clear something up first... I'm 1/2 Mexican, live in Los Angeles, date women of black descent, and have no problem with the African American Community.

But let us be brutally honest.

Just like in Los Angeles after the riot... there seems to be a certain demographic that has no problem showing us the lowest common denominator of the human side.

Luckily for us (here in Los Angeles), the young black community was content to just burn down and loot their own neighborhoods. Destroying local centers of commerce and low to moderate income housing.

In LA it's much worse. Rape, murder, assault on doctors trying to help the sick?

WTF... let's stop blaming politicians, FEMA, Bush, the national guard... and concede the point that if the poor and/or African American community was working together... the aftermath of this tragedy would be a lot less deplorable.

MelchyBeau
09-03-2005, 12:40 PM
stop trying to steal our jobs.

Melch

mackthefork
09-03-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
stop trying to steal our jobs.

Melch

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's only half mexican does that mean he's only stealing half a job?

Mack

BCPVP
09-03-2005, 01:04 PM
I would caution you about such rhetoric as blacks are disproportionately represented in N.O. The black population was 2/3 of the city and N.O. had a 40% poverty rate and 30% didn't even have access to cars. So it's hard to draw the conclusion that this is problem is limited to blacks.

cadillac1234
09-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Thank God the Mexicans in LA during the riots stayed calm and didn't loot anything /images/graemlins/frown.gif

bisonbison
09-03-2005, 01:21 PM
Comparing Los Angeles and Louisiana you use the phrase "In LA it's much worse."

What clarity of thought.

Broken Glass Can
09-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Did you get lost?

You know this is the politics forum, right? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

SheetWise
09-03-2005, 01:43 PM
If he's only half mexican does that make him a moist back?

Autocratic
09-03-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would caution you about such rhetoric as blacks are disproportionately represented in N.O. The black population was 2/3 of the city and N.O. had a 40% poverty rate and 30% didn't even have access to cars. So it's hard to draw the conclusion that this is problem is limited to blacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's embarassing that people could jump to the conclusion that blacks are the issue. Even an admitted racist could see these facts, and realize that no matter what, blacks were going to be the ones left in the city, and thus the ones responsible for most of the issues. It's not related to their being black.

microbet
09-03-2005, 01:58 PM
I worked in South Central Los Angeles for a few years and lived in a poor black neighborhood in New Orleans for about a week. There is a big difference in the culture and in the level of poverty. Parts of NO (before Katrina) were much poorer and delapidated than Watts, probably even right after the riots in the 90s.

As far as the actions of blacks in NO are not solely a result of poverty, perhaps it should be considered that NO would naturally be the place in the US that would have the worst legacy from slavery.

Lestat
09-03-2005, 02:09 PM
I think you see what you want to see. I saw:

4 young black people tending to an 86 yr. old white lady who was suffering from heat exhaustion and staying by her side in an effort to ease her misery and make her more comfortable.

Numerous black families in tears of gratitude after being helped by strangers.

So many conducted themselves with more pride and dignity than should be expected after what they went through and having their lives turned upside down. This represents the MAJORITY!

There are people of every race who for whatever reason choose crime as their main activity/career. These people were thugs before the disaster and it should be of no surprise they continued during it. You are going from too small of a sample size.

microbet
09-03-2005, 02:16 PM
The media clearly makes things look worse than they are.

OtisTheMarsupial
09-03-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's embarassing that people could jump to the conclusion that blacks are the issue. Even an admitted racist could see these facts, and realize that no matter what, blacks were going to be the ones left in the city, and thus the ones responsible for most of the issues. It's not related to their being black.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether is't classism or racism doesn't much matter. It's understandable that many people will see this as racist because blacks are disproportionately poor.

09-03-2005, 02:36 PM
I love ruffling feathers

Cyrus
09-03-2005, 08:32 PM
I mean about your racism and your ignorance.

(Bit of a redundancy, there, actually.)

BluffTHIS!
09-03-2005, 08:41 PM
The OP's post can only be correctly labeled racist in my mind if one or more of the following conditions are met:

1) He purposely has misreprested the facts or given a conclusion that does not logically follow from such facts;

2) He carelessly used mistaken points represented as fact that are in fact false or was careless in making logically fallaceous deductions on a matter certain to be inflammatory;

3) His facts and conclusions are both correct but similar percentages of other demographic groups have acted in the same manner in the same situations and this is not noted;

4) His facts and conclusions are correct and are used appropriately in comparison to other demographic groups but he applies same to label particular individuals as acting that way without proof of same.