PDA

View Full Version : AK too passive?

mr_perry84
09-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Was i not aggressive enough here + was i correct to fold? The villian is a Loose passive player. I'm on a bad streak at the moment and i'm worried i am playing too passively as a result trying to compensate.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, 1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, Hero raises</font>, 4 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif (4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif (3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets</font>, BB raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif (2 players)</font>
BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

On the flop the large number of players made me feel it was fairly likely someone had 2 pair, a straight or at least a big draw. I was hoping for a safe card on the turn to calm my concerns. The 9 failed to do this plus the cr worried me so when i didnt improve on the river i folded. Good laydown? Too weak? Because my opponent was a poor player should i have made a crying call? Opinions pls.

DrunkHamster
09-03-2005, 12:05 PM
IMO you played the last 2 streets wrong. This situation comes up enough, I think I should say something.

When villain CRs you, you need to make a decision - is he likely to have the Q or not? You have to tell this based on your reads so far - does he bluff, is he aggressive, or is he passive and straightforward enough that he is likely to have it.

So, if, in your opinion, he does have the case Q and is unlikely to be bluffing, you should fold to the CR. You have approximately 0 outs if your read is right, so any calls are burning $$$, even if you count full Q outs! Therefore, if you really reckon he has got the Q (which at the levels I play is most likely) you should chuck it.

On the other hand, if you reckon there is a greater than 2 in 9 chance he is full of [censored], you want to get to showdown. In that case, calling and calling is right.

In this case, I think calling the turn and folding the river is a big mistake - you are either going to showdown, or getting out, and the way you did it you cost yourself 1 extra BB doing so.

mr_perry84
09-03-2005, 12:10 PM
I agree 100% with what you say, however i did wonder if he had only 2 paired so wanted to see the river. I did think my fold on river was weak after calling turn. At moment i keep getting drawn out on and its leaving me confused what i should be doing - think that explains my play. when things are going my way i'm confident what i'm doing is correct and i do it. In this hand i'm niether here or there.

hemstock
09-03-2005, 12:21 PM
After you called the turn, you really have to see a showdown for one more BB

mr_perry84
09-03-2005, 12:25 PM
Out of interest what would you lot have done on turn?

DrunkHamster
09-03-2005, 12:39 PM
I personally would have chucked to the CR, especially if the dude was LPP - how often do they bluff CR the turn?

kapw7
09-03-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After you called the turn, you really have to see a showdown for one more BB

[/ QUOTE ]

And: Fold the turn if you trust your reads. (Personally I wouldnt do so easily)