PDA

View Full Version : Why conservatives should be pissed

newfant
09-03-2005, 11:51 AM
I know how conservatives think. I used to be one. Rush Limbaugh was constantly on my radio in the mid- to late- 90s.

Most conservatives can't see past their own nose. They look directly at the bottom line and nothing else. If capitalism causes a few people to die, it's not a big deal as long as they make money in the process.

Conservatives should be pissed about George Bush's handling of this disaster because it is now going to cost you (anyone that pays taxes) a lot more than it would have if the people of New Orleans had been given food and water immediately and continuously and had been evacuated promptly.

It's going to cost you guys in at least two ways:
1) This disaster has affected the political will of the people. When American citizens see the poor, black people of New Orleans on TV suffering every night and seemingly no help in sight, many of them begin to feel sorry for those people. Welfare bills will likely be easier to pass now. Government assistance will likely be easier for anyone to get from this point forward.

2) Lawsuits. I imagine many of these people will file civil-rights lawsuits or some such and there will be at least a few, and maybe a lot, of judges who will award them monetary damages. These damage awards may be big.

There was no reason for those people in the Superdome and the Convention Center not to have food and water from the beginning of this tragedy. It's unacceptable and we will all be paying more going forward because of it. The federal government, led by George Bush, could have done a lot more at the beginning of this disaster to help but they did not. We will all have higher tax bills in the future because of it.

BCPVP
09-03-2005, 11:57 AM
Perhaps you can elaborate on why conservatives, who generally believe in a limited federal gov't and a more active state gov't, should be mad at the feds for not stomping in the second the hurricane stopped. This is much more of an argument for why liberals should be mad as it is their precious federal gov't that is having trouble.

newfant
09-03-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps you can elaborate on why conservatives, who generally believe in a limited federal gov't and a more active state gov't, should be mad at the feds for not stomping in the second the hurricane stopped. This is much more of an argument for why liberals should be mad as it is their precious federal gov't that is having trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you're going to be paying more for government in the future than you would have if America had never seen the pictures of people in the Convention Center and the Superdome suffering for days. The cost to get food and water and to evacuate these people immediately would have been small compared to the cost American taxpayers are going to pay in the future for more welfare programs and to fend off lawsuits.

In summary: Spending a little extra at the beginning of this disaster would have saved taxpayers a lot of money in the future.

RacersEdge
09-03-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. This is great evidence of why people should not rely on big government to be effective.

09-03-2005, 12:12 PM
New Orleans was a disaster waiting to happen. Perhaps their flood contingency plan should have been more than an old wooden bucket used for bailing water.

New Orleans has a poverty rate of 40%, the national average is 12%

Broken Glass Can
09-03-2005, 12:12 PM
So the inaction of the governor and the mayor is going to cost us a ton of extra money.

And already the liberals are talking lawsuits. Why should a bunch of ambulance chasing lawyers get a lot of taxpayers money?

BCPVP
09-03-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because you're going to be paying more for government in the future than you would have if America had never seen the pictures of people in the Convention Center and the Superdome suffering for days. The cost to get food and water and to evacuate these people immediately would have been small compared to the cost American taxpayers are going to pay in the future for more welfare programs and to fend off lawsuits.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not to sound callous, but I think the economic damage that was done will dwarf whatever could have been saved getting supplies to the Superdome a day or two earlier or any subsequent lawsuits (assuming they win). Even so, I'm not sure what greater cost there is now that there wasn't a few days ago. The same people would have needed at least the same amount of aid.

What's funny is you saying we need more gov't intervention, me saying we need less. And you expect conservatives to be mad if your propositions aren't followed?

cadillac1234
09-03-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did this 'conservative' President fund a $175B new Homeland Security System and make it very clear that Americans could rely on it in his last campaign?

You can't have it both ways. If you want Americans to rely on their means in an emergency don't blow billions on a new agency after 9/11 and tell us that we are safer.

The prime reason we were told Bush won 2004 is that he gave the appearance we would be 'safer' under his leadership than under Kerry.

It would be hard for me to see anyone doing any worse right now.

09-03-2005, 12:23 PM
OP...

Are you saying that because our elephant size government couldn't move with the speed and accuracy of a panther... I should be embarrassed to be a conservative?

Did you take Poli-Sci 101... In every historical instance... it has been the Democrats that have voted, supported, and petition for the Federal Government to become the mammoth beast it is today.

Maybe if we had a smaller more efficient... less bureaucratic system, the President could have acted with greater speed.

Furthermore... to completely by-pass the responsibility of the care-free politicians of LA, both Dems and Repubs; further demonstrates your ignorance.

In addition, to say that "only" poor black people have been affected by this tragedy is ridiculous. Their are three reasons you are seeing primarily blacks on the 7:00 p.m news:

1) That's the demographics of the south... DUH (it's like saying Brentwood was hit by a natural disaster and all they put on the news were wealthy Jewish and Persian people... NS).

2) Suffering blacks make for a better lead story. The liberal media can show how evil Republicans are and how much we are making them suffer.

3) A large majority of the crime, looting for pleasure/not necessity and rape is being committed by young blacks.

WAKE UP

09-03-2005, 12:25 PM
BTW... the Army has been trying to air-lift water and food in to the Super-dome and Convention Center since day one.

Unfortunately it was un-safe for them to land because of the mob mentality of the crowd. Had they landed the helicopter would have been over-run and someone would have got killed.

Then I would have hear 1,000 posts about how Bush is using the military just like Hilter did.

cardcounter0
09-03-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why did this 'conservative' President fund a $175B new Homeland Security System and make it very clear that Americans could rely on it in his last campaign?

You can't have it both ways. If you want Americans to rely on their means in an emergency don't blow billions on a new agency after 9/11 and tell us that we are safer.

The prime reason we were told Bush won 2004 is that he gave the appearance we would be 'safer' under his leadership than under Kerry.

[/ QUOTE ]

BCPVP
09-03-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Bush is not as conservative as you give him credit.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not trying to. And I'm not telling anyone it's safer.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
'Safer' from Cat 5 hurricanes? I don't remember that during the campaigns...

In any event, I'm much more ticked at the lower levels of government for their failures because they have made things drastically more complicated for the feds.

I still haven't heard what cost has raised so dramatically because of inaction at the federal level that should have conservatives up in arms...

cardcounter0
09-03-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tek
09-03-2005, 12:34 PM
I think this whole clusterfuk is a good example why we need less Big Brother Federal government and more state level government.

The Homeland boondoggle has proven what a waste of money and lack of ability the Feds have. FEMA is an equal disappointment. They have no idea what is going on and have no ability to get anything done.

But meanwhile, we continue to waste billions every year with troops in Germany, Guam, S. Korea, Panama etc.

Screw those countries. Use that money to help people in this country get education and jobs and reduce taxes at the same time.

RacersEdge
09-03-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be hard for me to see anyone doing any worse right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, you know that was all about terrorism. I don't see how you can compare terrorism to a hurricane. And don't forget, some of the people in NO have to take responsibilty for their situation themselves.

cadillac1234
09-03-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW... the Army has been trying to air-lift water and food in to the Super-dome and Convention Center since day one.

Unfortunately it was un-safe for them to land because of the mob mentality of the crowd. Had they landed the helicopter would have been over-run and someone would have got killed.

Then I would have hear 1,000 posts about how Bush is using the military just like Hilter did.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Army has no experience in dodging small arms ground fire while dropping off supplies??????

The Head of FEMA on Thursday told the country he had no idea that there were people in the Convention Center.

cadillac1234
09-03-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Come on, you know that was all about terrorism. I don't see how you can compare terrorism to a hurricane. And don't forget, some of the people in NO have to take responsibilty for their situation themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then it was even worse piss-poor-pre-planning by the Bush Administration if the whole re-vamp of FEMA didn't include for the possibility of a natural disaster.

cardcounter0
09-03-2005, 12:44 PM
To bad terrorists didn't break those levis and flood New Orleans. Then, Homeland Security would have LEPT into action before you could blink!
/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

wmspringer
09-03-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We will all have higher debt in the future because of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

09-03-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Army has no experience in dodging small arms ground fire while dropping off supplies??????

The Head of FEMA on Thursday told the country he had no idea that there were people in the Convention Center.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait... you mean to tell me that the head of a multi-billion dollar a year govenment agency didn't know what's going on?

You mean that a system that has 1,000 leveles of red tape is uninformed.

You actually mean that bigger government doesn't work to actually help the little people....

WOW... you are so deep and obviously well educated.

Ironically, people like you will keep putting liberals in office.

09-03-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this whole clusterfuk is a good example why we need less Big Brother Federal government and more state level government.

The Homeland boondoggle has proven what a waste of money and lack of ability the Feds have. FEMA is an equal disappointment. They have no idea what is going on and have no ability to get anything done.

But meanwhile, we continue to waste billions every year with troops in Germany, Guam, S. Korea, Panama etc.

Screw those countries. Use that money to help people in this country get education and jobs and reduce taxes at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tek... I know you rant a lot... but what do you want... more government... less government?

I can't figure you out? I understand you don't want cameras our bathrooms... but what do you feel the role of the government should be?

cadillac1234
09-03-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait... you mean to tell me that the head of a multi-billion dollar a year govenment agency didn't know what's going on?

You mean that a system that has 1,000 leveles of red tape is uninformed.

You actually mean that bigger government doesn't work to actually help the little people....

WOW... you are so deep and obviously well educated.

Ironically, people like you will keep putting liberals in office.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 'CONSERVATIVE' President setup this system.

This new system is the Bush Administration's baby from the ground up. The heads of it are Bush appointees. Bush's Admin designed and funded it via the GOP Controlled Congress.
How can this be the 'liberals' fault?

I wish FEMA would've spent $75 on cable TV so they could've gotten a clue as to what was going on.

tek
09-03-2005, 01:11 PM
As far as national defense, let's do just that. Defend our country with our troops, not defend other countries around the world with our troops. We don't need our military spread thin in countries that hate us.

Less Federal government in general. Many programs, bureaus and agencies are pork barrel: not needed and a waste of money. Eliminate them.

Programs that are needed can be done at less cost and more efficient by the private sector or by state governments.

09-03-2005, 01:26 PM
How about this... I'll go have unprotected sex with a HIV positive female.

Then... when I get AIDS and I'm waiting to die... I'll expect sympathy from everyone that's been warning me for years to use a condom.

Then... my great distrust of the governement (liberal or conservative) that makes this country great will take over and I'll blame "___ insert current president 2010 here___" for my horrible condition.

How does that sound... because in 5 years when I'm dying of AIDS... it would mean a lot if the liberal or conservatives on this post helped me criticize the "___insert 2010 presdient here____"

FishHooks
09-04-2005, 01:09 AM
The best thing to do is laugh, and remember he's a democrat, all your statements were right on.

webmonarch
09-04-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And already the liberals are talking lawsuits. Why should a bunch of ambulance chasing lawyers get a lot of taxpayers money?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know anything about the legal profession? For example, do you know that so called "ambulance chasing" is agains professional rules of conduct for attorneys? Do yourself a favor:

Model Rules of Professional Conduct (http://www.abanet.org/cpr/mrpc/mrpc_toc.html)

Every attorney must pass a test on these rules before being admitted to any bar.

Your statements are akin to calling all Republicans "rich white jerks" or all Democrats "bleeding heart liberals." Do yourself a favor and avoid the stereotypes.

Make sure you know what you're talking about. I'm not sure what your profession is (care to share?), but I pretty seriously doubt you have such standards to adhere to professionally.

09-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Please, don't waste your time. BGC is not one to let facts get in the way of a mediocre sound bite. Think coulter, hannity or limbgaugh, but only 1/100th as smooth.