PDA

View Full Version : Could I Have Played This Differently?

09-03-2005, 09:37 AM
I was playing in a small local tournament, 4 full tables, a couple days ago when the following hand came up.

Early in the tourney. Not even down to three tables yet. Blinds were at 50/100. With around 3500 to begin the hand, I picked up pocket tens. I raise to 300 from UTG+1. The guy to my immediate left raises making it 800 to go. It's early but he hasn't done anything out of line so far, so not much of a read on him yet. Everyone folds back to me.

First off, I admittedly haven't been playing seriously real long, so I'd like to know what most of the experienced players of this forum would do in this spot facing the raise. Call and take a flop? Move in? Smaller raise?

For a second, I thought about pushing the rest in. I decided against that in favor of putting in a raise to 1600 figuring I could possibly take it down right there. If he just called, I'd feel a bit better about my tens and with a good flop, I'd push postflop. If he came over the top again though, I'm in some trouble. I announced my raise and before I could even grab my chips, he moved in on me.

I basically said, "Man, I really want to see this one, but I think I'm beat here," and I folded my tens faceup. The guy said, "Good laydown," and showed me his pocket kings.

Any other way I could've played it that I could've lost less than nearly half of my stack or did I get away as unscathed as possible? I thought I played it decent, but if there's any suggestions on an alternitve that could've cost me less, I'm all for hearing it.

MeanGreenTT
09-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Usually someone has to have a "real" hand to raise behind a open bet. You have to be concerned about the range of hands he'd likely make this move with and how often you'll be beat on the flop. The size of his raise also sends up flags in my mind.

I flat-call the raise and play post flop. At this point, you're basically playing for Set value and looking to get away from the hand if any overs flop. However, it'd be hard for me not to lose more money if the flop was all rags.

09-03-2005, 11:06 AM
You'll see his play a lot even online. It's a mini reraise against you, like he's wanting you to call. Your usually beat when u get reraised an amount you can call. It's when they push in against your raise that it's actually more difficult. Because the range can be so wide. Anyway, this early in the tournament you know he has a big hand. I'd like to just call his bet and try and hit my set. If that happens, you know u got him all in because he's not gonna fold his big hand. And if you don't hit your hand, you can easily fold knowing ur behind anyway. It's so early in the tournament that you can make this loose call and still play comfortably and recover from this hand.

kuro
09-03-2005, 11:54 AM
You should have called his raise and played the flop. That said after raising to 1600, you have to call his push.

Lets say the range of cards that he pushs with is really tight (AA/KK/AK), you're a 3:2 dog but you're getting 3:1 pot odds on the call which is too big of an edge to pass up.

betgo
09-03-2005, 02:56 PM
You have to call his push. You are almost getting the right odds if you know he has kings.

Your mini third raise was strange. The only purpose I can see is to represent a big pair. Obviously, this didn't scare your opponent, who had kings.

I prefer to push or fold to the initial reraise. You can call, but the money us not deep enough to play for a set and you are out of position.