PDA

View Full Version : Radio host urges poor to loot

Broken Glass Can
09-03-2005, 09:25 AM
<font color="green"> Radio host urges poor to loot
Randi Rhodes advises Gulf Coast listeners
</font>

In a broadcast yesterday, Air America radio talk radio host Randi Rhodes repeatedly urged listeners in the hurricane-devastated Gulf Coast to go out and loot, insisting the poor should be allowed to steal goods at will.

The leftist host, who has sparked controversy in the past for advocating the assassination of President Bush, said hurricane victims should avoid discount centers such as Wal-Mart and focus their looting on higher-end stores in order to get good quality products, according to Ned Rice, a contributor to National Review Online's weblog "The Corner."

Rice wrote, "I'm not sure if Randi was joking or serious (although with her it's always hard to be sure), but even in jest, should she be allowed to do this on the air?"

In April, Rhodes aired a skit that warned Bush with gunfire, and in a broadcast last year, she imitated the sound of gunfire while saying somebody ought to take the president fishing and then shoot him.

Rhodes opened her show with an audio skit.

The announcer said: "A spoiled child is telling us our Social Security isn't safe anymore, so he is going to fix it for us. Well, here's your answer, you ungrateful whelp: [audio sound of four gunshots being fired.] Just try it, you little bastard. [audio of gun being cocked]."

Government sources took the skit "very seriously," though Air America denies there's any federal probe taking place.

Rhodes has since apologized for the joke, saying it was a "stupid bit."

"If the bit was understood to be a threat against the president," Rhodes explained, "I need to apologize to the president of the United States, and I do. I also need to apologize to the Secret Service [which] has a very, very serious job. If they had to take two seconds out of their day to look into me, I apologize for that. ... But where is the apology when they threaten judges from the Senate floor or from the House floor? Or where's the investigation into [WND columnist] Ann Coulter's mouth? ...

"[My apology] is sincere. I feel bad that anybody would feel threatened by comedy. That's one thing, but I also feel bad that it wasn't funny. And I also feel bad that there could be a perception that I would be advocating violence against anybody, let alone the president of the United States of America. It's no secret that I think he's a terrible president, but I don't think that anybody should have violence advocated against them in any way, shape or form ever! ... That [skit] will never see the light of day again. It was bad."

RacersEdge
09-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Liberals are, for the most part, morons.

Voltron87
09-03-2005, 10:52 AM
this person is obviously an idiot, but who cares? its not like theyre an important person, theyre a radio host.

how is this anythign but meaningless?

BCPVP
09-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Bad taste as far as a joke, which it had to have been (how are people with no electricity going to hear Air America?).

[ QUOTE ]
"[My apology] is sincere. I feel bad that anybody would feel threatened by comedy.

[/ QUOTE ]
BULL. That was the definition of a non-apologetic apology! I think anyone publicly starting an apology with "If I've offended..." needs to be punched in the face and then be told that if they're not serious about apologizing then don't bother.

JackWhite
09-03-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this person is obviously an idiot, but who cares? its not like theyre an important person, theyre a radio host.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, this is just a dumb remark from a commentator. It shouldn't be a big deal. However, a commentator named Pat Robertson recently made dumb remarks and it was a big story. Why is it that when conservatives make stupid remarks, the media think it is a major story, while when liberals say stupid things like this, ABC, NBC, CBS etc..don't find it newsworthy?

cardcounter0
09-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Pat Robertson leads a huge voting block, and has run for President. He has a huge TV network, sends people across the globe, and broadcasts over multiple media outlets, has a magazine, and a large fund raising organization.

Randi Rhodes has a radio show on a small radio network.

Triumph36
09-03-2005, 11:13 AM
If you think this is on the level of what Pat Robertson said, you're delusional. This is clearly ironic - Pat Robertson doesn't know what irony is.

JackWhite
09-03-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pat Robertson leads a huge voting block, and has run for President. He has a huge TV network, sends people across the globe, and broadcasts over multiple media outlets, has a magazine, and a large fund raising organization.

Randi Rhodes has a radio show on a small radio network.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Pat Robertson leads a huge voting block." Must be of people who are poor, uneducated, and easy to command?

Voltron87
09-03-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, this is just a dumb remark from a commentator. It shouldn't be a big deal. However, a commentator named Pat Robertson recently made dumb remarks and it was a big story. Why is it that when conservatives make stupid remarks, the media think it is a major story, while when liberals say stupid things like this, ABC, NBC, CBS etc..don't find it newsworthy?

[/ QUOTE ]

pat robertson is way more influential than this radio host. how can you compare the two?

SheetWise
09-03-2005, 11:32 AM
If an Air America radio talk host said something on the air, and nobody heard it -- did they still say it?

JackWhite
09-03-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
pat robertson is way more influential than this radio host. how can you compare the two?

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is on the general liberal media bias/double standard. If you are a liberal, you can say anything and it is ignored. If you are a conservative and you say something dumb/controversial, it is a major story.

Example. A Republican Senator ,Trent Lott, heaps praise on a Senator with a bad record on race (Strom Thurmond), it is a major story, and he loses his job as a result.

While a Democratic Senator, Chris Dodd, heaps praise on a Senator with a bad record on race (Robert Byrd) from the Senate floor, and it is totally ignored by the mainstream media. Dodd said that he thought Byrd would have made a great leader during the Civil War. A former KKK guy who filibustered Civil Rights legisilation, yet Dodd thought he would have been a great Civil War leader. Why wasn't that a major scandal like Lott's remarks? Oh yeah, Dodd is a Democrat. And as usual, the double standard lives.

Voltron87
09-03-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is on the general liberal media bias/double standard. If you are a liberal, you can say anything and it is ignored. If you are a conservative and you say something dumb/controversial, it is a major story.

Example. A Republican Senator ,Trent Lott, heaps praise on a Senator with a bad record on race (Strom Thurmond), it is a major story, and he loses his job as a result.

While a Democratic Senator, Chris Dodd, heaps praise on a Senator with a bad record on race (Robert Byrd) from the Senate floor, and it is totally ignored by the mainstream media. Dodd said that he thought Byrd would have made a great leader during the Civil War. A former KKK guy who filibustered Civil Rights legisilation, yet Dodd thought he would have been a great Civil War leader. Why wasn't that a major scandal like Lott's remarks? Oh yeah, Dodd is a Democrat. And as usual, the double standard lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

byrd has denounced his KKK membership. thurmond has not. do you actually think dodd was saying "i think this segregationist would have done a great job during the civil war?" he was talking about other qualities of byrd. dodd wasnt saying he would have been a great leader because of his racist past, hes saying because byrd has changed and he thinks hes a good guy for other reasons. what trent lott said was different.

bottom line: this air america host doesnt matter. pat robertson does.

JackWhite
09-03-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
byrd has denounced his KKK membership. thurmond has not. do you actually think dodd was saying "i think this segregationist would have done a great job during the civil war?" he was talking about other qualities of byrd. dodd wasnt saying he would have been a great leader because of his racist past, hes saying because byrd has changed and he thinks hes a good guy for other reasons. what trent lott said was different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe there remarks were very similar. You said Byrd has changed while Thurmond didn't. Thurmond did change. Byrd has too, yet in a TV interview a few years ago, Byrd said he knows a lot of "white n******." A US Senator using the word "n*****" in an interview. As usual, totally ignored. If Trent Lott had said he knows "white n******" it would have been the biggest story in the country for a week.

Give me the last time a Democrat/liberal said something really dumb and the mainstream media made a huge deal out of it.

Voltron87
09-03-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe there remarks were very similar. You said Byrd has changed while Thurmond didn't. Thurmond did change. Byrd has too, yet in a TV interview a few years ago, Byrd said he knows a lot of "white n******." A US Senator using the word "n*****" in an interview. As usual, totally ignored. If Trent Lott had said he knows "white n******" it would have been the biggest story in the country for a week.

Give me the last time a Democrat/liberal said something really dumb and the mainstream media made a huge deal out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC people do make a pretty big deal of byrd being an ex klansman.

also: bill clinton.