PDA

View Full Version : I feel like crap

gonores
09-03-2005, 05:16 AM
I got in an accident today...an accident I caused. 3 car wreck...lots of car damage, minimal bodily damage. It wasn't the classic cell phoning/eating/talking to passengers/driving tired or drunk accident. It was simply me having to deal with a traffic light that doesn't appear in Wisconsin, and dealing with it improperly. For those of you familiar with the lights, it's the "Left turn OK but Yield to oncoming traffic" light. I assumed that as that light turned yellow and red, oncoming traffic would simultaneously receive a yellow and red. As you can guess, I tried to clear the intersection as my left-turn light turned red, and oncoming traffic had a green and the two cars I thought were slowing down rightfully barreled through the intersection, first car into my right-front quarter panel, the car following grazing the first car as it swerved.

Fortunately, of the 6 people in the 3 cars, there were 6 people wearing seat belts. One lady got punched in the face by an airbag and burned her hand, but everyone else seemed ok. My insurance covers everything, and quite frankly, after we all sorted out what happened and I manned up and accepted total responsibility, the air was pretty casual. Air bag lady was happy she was gonna get off work. The Canadian family (mom and 3 teenaged kids) in the other car was house-hunting for the afternoon and weren't really detained from anything important. I had a deck of cards in the car and taught mom Texas Hold 'em while we waited for the cops to clear things up and send a taxi for us to go to the rental car agency.

But still...I feel terrible. I'm in touch with reality enough to know a lot of bad luck was involved, but just exercizing a bit more prudence or just taking a second to stop and think about the light or just treating every car like a missile aimed at your car (just like papa told me to do when I was a youngin') and I'm not endangering the well-being of 5 really cool people.

Then I got to thinking...what if were on the phone or what have you? Or worse, drunk (something I have done >0 times in my life, though there was only one clear time I did that, and maybe 2 or 3 borderline cases...3 or 4 times too many). Jesus Christ. The world does not revolve around me. The consequences of my actions do not just affect me. Did I really need a [censored] accident to teach me that? [censored]...I'm retarded. I think and hope from now on I'll treat the road with the respect it deserves.

I'm guessing when it's all said and done, my accident is gonna cost me $7-10000 after deductible, lost time to getting my car repaired/shopping for a new car (my baby is pretty jacked up), and increased insurance rates. In all honesty, that's a pretty cheap lesson.

smokingrobot
09-03-2005, 05:18 AM
hey and at least you're here to talk about it. hope you there are no injuries post accident (onset of problems suddenly like back/neck pain etc).

private joker
09-03-2005, 05:21 AM
I'm glad to hear nobody was seriously hurt. This could have been a lot worse. Consider the results of this collision the ultimate in running well.

Monty
09-03-2005, 05:30 AM
I'm drunk, but they have those lights in Wisconsin. Madison, Wisconsin.

-Skeme-
09-03-2005, 05:32 AM
Sweet avatar.

ThaSaltCracka
09-03-2005, 05:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sweet avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]sweet doesn't even begin to describe it. That [censored] is rad

gonores
09-03-2005, 05:34 AM
You might be right. I'd like to think I'm not that dumb, but you might be right. I may just have not ever encountered any of them.

Either way...im still dumb.

wheelz
09-03-2005, 05:44 AM
I had a driving while tired accident. Long story short, insurance didn't cover the vehicle and I screwed my parents over. It didn't involve anyone else, so it was different, but I understand the feeling like crap afterwards part. It bothered me for a while. I am also dumb.

I was also lucky to come out alive, let alone unscathed, so I guess in the end I came out somewhat grateful. Still felt like crap though.

peachy
09-03-2005, 06:26 AM
haha ur thought process was amazing...it made me laugh. And yes that is a cheap lesson and it was cheap in not totally life alter/affecting those around u...just dont forget the lesson in 6 months!

at least u taught her poker!!

bugstud
09-03-2005, 07:05 AM
yikes

RacersEdge
09-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Aren't all green lights "Yield to oncoming traffic if you want to turn left"?

mslif
09-03-2005, 11:09 AM
You learn from the mistakes you make. Just be thankful that no one got hurt. You are not retarded, we all make bad calls at some point in our lives.
/images/graemlins/heart.gif

pearljam
09-03-2005, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Consider the results of this collision the ultimate in running well.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is stupid, he was driving from one point to another, do you really think he was driving so recklesly that he was lucky to ONLY wreck 3 cars and have everybody be ok? This is like the people that get cancer, live through it, and act like they are blessed or something. You got [censored] cancer, this was not a lucky thing just because you lived through it.

touchfaith
09-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Glad everyone is ok.

All-in-all, it sounds like you handled things very well, even without my Aromatherapy advice which has helped so many others these past 12 hours.

Don't let this get you down. Accidents are called just that for a reason. As accidents go, this one sounds to have gone 'right' if that is at all possible.

Grain of salt, learning experience, [insert favorite cliche here]. Either way you look at it...everyone's alive and that's all that counts.

bugstud
09-03-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Aren't all green lights "Yield to oncoming traffic if you want to turn left"?

[/ QUOTE ]

some don't let you turn without an arrow.

Huhmare
09-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Three weeks after I got my driving licence, I had a crash with biker on a zebra crossing. I was speeding and didn't have flicker on as I made a turn. I nearly killed the poor guy. He had a cerebral hemorrhage, but he survived. I almost went to jail, but the judge was kind with me and only gave me a huge fine..

I felt so bad back then. I don't know what I would have done, if that person had died. I think you were lucky not to hurt anyone. It feels so much worse than monetary loss.

Joe Tall
09-03-2005, 07:27 PM
$hit happens.

Everyone is unhurt and still alive; don't feel bad.

Peace,
Joe

newfant
09-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the only non-narcissistic post to populate this board this year. It is refreshing.