PDA

View Full Version : something wrong with this move?

09-03-2005, 04:27 AM
5dollar buy in sit and go single table tourney, 9 people still in the tourney.

pretty early on. everyone started with 1500. chip leader had about 2000 and short stack about 900.

blinds were 15/30.

i had 1700 chips and i was in big blind. the player UTG limped, 2nd folded, third raised to 60, 4th called, 5th called, six folded, 7th called, sb folded , and i had JJ. so i went all in for 1700 and player in third called with AK. he had about 1200. and i lost.

CJHunt
09-03-2005, 06:09 AM
You went all in for 1700 with 270(ish) in the pot?

Maybe re raise to get some hand info and folds (hopefully) but going all in wasn't the greatest move. Calling with AK wasn't the greatest move either though /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I like the attempt to pick up some dead money but you went a little overkill.

09-03-2005, 10:26 AM
First thing is tournament play is different that ring games, You don't neccesarily want to go all in with KK against five opponents so early in a tournament, let alone with just JJ. Yes you do have way more equity than five players but you can't reach back in your pocket in this kind of situation (I'm assuming no rebuys). I agree that reraising was a better strategy and folding to an all in. I mean somebody else already raised two limpers and then he gets called and cold called. You could easily be up against better than JJ. Anyways just remember i tournaments it is about survival in the early part, pick your spots, set traps and then get more aggressive as the tournament progresses.

My two scents /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SheridanCat
09-03-2005, 11:25 AM
I agree with the other posts, there's no reason to make this a big hand at this point.

Your M is over 37. You have plenty of time and plenty of chips. No need for a big confrontation against many random hands, one of which has raised and a bunch of which have cold called. I know there's a lot of bad play at the $5 SNGs, but you have to give at least one of these guys some credit.

Once you push all-in this early in the tournament, you'll fold out the junk hands but you'll get called by the good hands. Unfortunately, your hand is on the bottom of the good side of all possible hands.

With JJ in this situation, I'd prefer to see a flop. I have no problem just calling the raise and seeing the flop. If I flop an overpair or a set, then I'd be much more likely to make a move with JJ.

Good luck,

T

09-04-2005, 04:58 AM
I read this somewhere, can't remember where, about playing at those low-buy-in SNGs. You must remember, there are a lot of maniacs in those games who overvalue their hands. I would bet, with that many people in, there's someone in there with an ace-rag who will call and take a chance at sucking out. To them, it's only five bucks, if they bust out early, they get into another game. So, what I read was this, don't get into a pot in a SNG early unless you have AA or KK, and then go all-in. Don't start playing hands until it gets to six or seven-handed. Every time I play like that, avoid confrontations early, I do well in the lower buy-in games. Only once can I remember a passive five-dollar SNG. You have to wait until the maniacs are gone, and then play your best poker. If one of them gets lucky, doubles up and is able to stick around, you know how to play against him later on anyhow.

vexvelour
09-04-2005, 09:22 PM
I'm gonna share a secret:

play tight early, and play loose later.

roxtar
09-05-2005, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna share a secret:

play tight early, and play loose later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for ruining it for the rest of us!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif