PDA

View Full Version : Variance in PLO.

dibbs
09-03-2005, 03:44 AM
I know this has probably been covered but as the search function wont kick in.....

I always knew PLO was swingy. Used to play it a fair amount in a mixgame though and never really got the true feel for it. I've been multi-tabling it at the 25$ level the past week or so and have been getting throttled.

In the last 1,400 hands I'm up a whopping 19$, but there's about 174$ worth of pots "missing" from that where I was AT LEAST a 2 to 1 favorite on the turn, got it all in and didn't take it down. Not including the small stuff where I was a favorite on the flop and had to bail on the turn etc. So basically I'm getting my ass kicked, but in review I'm making some really big positive plays so I'm not totally freaked out.

Most of the big pots I've lost are top set v. a flush draw or a flush draw with an oesd on the turn for around 200 bbs each.

So basically, actually how severe are the swings at SSPLO? Is this kind of swing typical or no? I don't think they should be this severe and makes me beleive I'm overplaying some hands, but curious to see.

TheRempel
09-03-2005, 05:10 AM
Without seeing specific hand histories, I would say this is fairly normal. One out of every three or four sessions I sit down and lose two or three buy-ins in the first three rounds. You will have days in which you flop gangs monster draws and are commited for all your chips on the turn and you won't hit a single one of them. The best games have the highest variance. Add one player that raises 1/3 of his hands preflop and pots most flops and your variance will increase dramatically.