PDA

View Full Version : Bad idea pending - going to buy in to 10/20

DMBFan23
09-03-2005, 03:26 AM
I have the bankroll. my normal game is 5/10. I am mostly sober. I am going to 1-table 10/20 on UB for a while, I'll post significant hands and updates. 1 buyin, let's see how I play + how I run.

if I bust, it's not a huge chunk of my bankroll. and it'll help me develop.

wheelz
09-03-2005, 03:32 AM
As long as you don't expect to get any ideas about your long term prospects there from one session, I don't see why not

09-03-2005, 03:34 AM
It's fine to take shots, but why at UB?

DMBFan23
09-03-2005, 03:36 AM
that's where my money is right now

DMBFan23
09-03-2005, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As long as you don't expect to get any ideas about your long term prospects there from one session, I don't see why not

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah this is totally 1-shot, take a gamble, go right back to 5/10 move. I just want to see what I come up against and if I can play well at the increased stakes

PokerBob
09-03-2005, 03:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have the bankroll. my normal game is 5/10. I am mostly sober. I am going to 1-table 10/20 on UB for a while, I'll post significant hands and updates. 1 buyin, let's see how I play + how I run.

if I bust, it's not a huge chunk of my bankroll. and it'll help me develop.

[/ QUOTE ]

gl...i hope you do better than i did.

DMBFan23
09-03-2005, 04:00 AM
holy [censored] this is aggressive. I'm in the black, so I'm not bitching, but wow. what a difference.

DMBFan23
09-03-2005, 04:12 AM
Opponent is VERY agressive. way more than I'm used to. too loose preflop (he has open limped and coldcalled first in) but is a pain in the asssssss postflop.

This one happened first. man he is aggressive.

Ultimate Bet 10/20 Hold'em (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

he has A9o MHIG.

Next hand, no content, OWNED BEEYOTCH.

Ultimate Bet 10/20 Hold'em (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks. &lt;---- my plan here was to check call the flop and donk any turn, calling down if raised. should I instead c/call the turn?

Turn: (2.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

These were really the only two with significant postflop action.

New001
09-03-2005, 04:17 AM
For what it's worth, I like the check/call, donk turn line a lot in spots like that. I don't know if it's good, but it seems like it.

einbert
09-03-2005, 04:30 AM
The UB 10/20 game is extremely hit or miss. It can be good but it can also be a rock garden at times.

Be very careful, there are some really good players though at times that love to play 2-4 handed. The game is very aggressive as well.

Chairman Wood
09-03-2005, 04:35 AM
If you find a soft game, I fail to really see this as a bad idea.

yanicehand
09-03-2005, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you find a soft game, I fail to really see this as a bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not criticizing the OP's idea at all, I'm a big fan of taking shots, however I think that the most understated downside to playing in juicy higher limit games is the feigned sense of confidence that you get. It's not always easy to suck it up and move down after doing well, especially when you have the bankroll for the higher limit.

Maybe this is just something I took a while to get over, but it could have been a bad leak if not plugged.

09-03-2005, 05:08 AM
Pardon but why would you move down if the games are gooooot and you have bankroll for the game?

yanicehand
09-03-2005, 05:11 AM
Because they won't always be juicy, and you aren't necessarily a good enough player to make it your main game. (not you, but the guy taking the shot) I just feel like it can become a slippery slope, where you start out only playing when its a ludicrously soft game, then when 2 of your fish are sitting, then one, then when just the pot size is big, etc. Bankroll + occasional poor players doesn't necessarily mean you = good player. I don't know if I'm making sense but that's how I see it.

09-03-2005, 05:23 AM
Yes I understand your point now and agress. Im kind of victim of that myself... a while back 10 20 was my main game and $400 dowswings felt big and all that.
Then one day I stepped up to 20/40 since one of my favorite fishes was playing there... ran good for a while and now I just cant go back to lower game. I have tried it sometimes but just can play A+ game.
Had I ran bad for 10k hands or something dunno what would have happened. And would it have caused such a low-confidence and tilt that I would no longer be able to beat even 5/10.

yanicehand
09-03-2005, 06:09 AM
Had something similar happen to me. Ran pretty decently for a long time at 20/40 (20k hands), had a very minor (relatively) downswing at that game, but really realized I might not be ready for it. So now I'm taking my licks at 10/20 again before I go back full time. On the other hand, over 1k hands of taking shots at 30/60 short I have something ludicrous like 13bb/100h, but there's no way I think I'm ready for it.

DMBFan23
09-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Hey guys,

I can definitely see both sides of this argument. truth be told, I would probaby like another 100 BB if I were goin to make this my full time game. I'm just risk averse like that.

my climb through the limits has been very very disciplined, I have bought in to 1 5/10 game back in the middle of my 3/6 career (wasn't rolled for it) and then this. So, it was a great one time experiment, and I think it will make me more confident at 5/10, but I knew going in I wasnt ready to move up, so dont worry this isnt the "DMBFan23 goes bust" beginning. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

that said, in 41 hands of 10/20 I'm running at 4BB/100. BOO YA.

to einbert: yes, very very very aggressive. both hands I posted are against razor, and he is an example of the players I expect to face at 10/20 when I finally do move up, no more passive [censored] at all. he has some big holes in his preflop game, but he is very tricky postflop, and bluffs probably an amount that is good against me. and as you can see by the first hand, he is defintely aggressive with a made hand. very tough to play against, and I found myself passing up isolation raises that I would have made in a heartbeat at 5/10. that is probably also because it was a big game for me.