PDA

View Full Version : ask kurosh a question

kurosh
09-03-2005, 03:02 AM
ask kurosh a question about SH or HU poker play and he will answer as well as he can to improve his, and your, but mostly his, poker play. this will last until i p ass out. you must respond and we must have a good discussion for maximum benefit.

NLSoldier
09-03-2005, 03:08 AM
LAG button raises, sb folds, you are BB, what is the minimum you defend with and whats your line when you flop
a)top pair
b)mid pair
c)bottom pair

kurosh
09-03-2005, 03:11 AM
AK-A5, KQ-K7, QJ-Q7, JT-J7, T9-T7, 98-96, 87-86, 76-75, 65 and all pairs. With mid and bottom pair, CR flop, lead turn 100%. With top pair, CR flop/CR turn 50/50. Texture matters a lot though. I am probably going to dump 76 on an AK7 flop.

protocol
09-03-2005, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
With mid and bottom pair, CR flop, lead turn 100%.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if he 3-bets the flop?

wheelz
09-03-2005, 03:21 AM
what do you play in the same situation but in the sb?

kurosh
09-03-2005, 03:24 AM
with only read as LAG? it depends on texture. if very draw heavy or raggy, i cap + lead or bet turn. A or K high, i just call down usually. on other boards, usually call/call/bet. i'm very rarely folding a pair HU in a steal situation. if they're LAG they'll get the bets in there anyway.

kurosh
09-03-2005, 03:27 AM
i am very very tight in SB. probably a lot tighter than the people here. AK-A9 A8-A7s, KQ-KT K9s, QJ, AA-77. Always reraise.

C-Dog
09-03-2005, 03:46 AM
3 Players limp to you on the button, what hands do you raise/call with?

2 Players limp to you on the button, what hands do you raise/call with?

How much do these change if you are multiple limped to on the cutoff?

Assume players all have stats roughly 40-50/2-6/.5-1.5

Schneids
09-03-2005, 03:46 AM
If you are playing someone HU, would you rather play against an opponent who bets into you every time (90% of the time) he flops a pair or any semblance of a draw, or checkraises you every time (90% of the time) he flops any pair or semblance of a draw? Does it matter?

PokerBob
09-03-2005, 03:48 AM
if you were a tree, which kind would you be?

kurosh
09-03-2005, 03:50 AM
what's with all these PF questions? too much to go through, the little chart is pretty good. suited connectors and one gappers, maybe two gappers if they're big like KTs. raise the big ones, call the smaller ones. the number of players changes it. more players = raise the smaller ones too. limp PPs. raise your big cards. CO means more likely to raise bigger cards and limp smaller suited connectors.

kurosh
09-03-2005, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are playing someone HU, would you rather play against an opponent who bets into you every time (90% of the time) he flops a pair or any semblance of a draw, or checkraises you every time (90% of the time) he flops any pair or semblance of a draw? Does it matter?

[/ QUOTE ]
ah finally, HU. i am very good HU. the regulars on prima won't play me at 10/20 anymore. this is a good question. if he bets the flop and i call, will he bet the turn no matter what? oh and if i check behind on the flop, will he bet the turn or try for a cr again? or is this just for the flop and the turn changes depending on what the player feels like?

ok, i have answer. i think you would much prefer the one who bets. he is giving away much more information that way. more information = good for you. the one who checks, you don't know if he will raise you or fold when you bet. you don't know the strength of his hand. the free card doesn't really matter much. i'd much rather know more about his hand. i can elaborate more if you want. this is assuming those assumptions were for only his flop play and his turn play adapts.

Monty Cantsin
09-03-2005, 03:54 AM
Your aunt has never played Hold'em before. She understands the rules but has no ideas about strategy. She is going to take $1,000 of your money and play 1000 hands of Party 10/20 6-max.

You are allowed to give her 10 words of advice.

What are they?

/mc

wheelz
09-03-2005, 03:55 AM
who are you on prima? what 10/20 "regulars" avoid you? i'm sure sillysal is one of them... what a bitch

kurosh
09-03-2005, 03:57 AM
i just played a bit today and yesterday until i ran out of people to play with and got bored... sillysal, yes. forgetfog or something like that? and another one i can't remember.

wheelz
09-03-2005, 04:01 AM
any zugwalt or thepearl?

kurosh
09-03-2005, 04:01 AM
steal blinds, go to showdown, play big cards.

Monty Cantsin
09-03-2005, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
steal blinds, go to showdown, play big cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice. Mine was:

Pre-flop: raise or fold, post: don't fold top pair.

/mc

wheelz
09-03-2005, 04:09 AM
what are your thoughts on donkbetting? not how to respond to it, but would you ever do it, and when?

kurosh
09-03-2005, 04:16 AM
if i know they check behind a lot i do it
when i have a strong hand and want to bet, 3-bet
when i have an ok hand but think they're on a draw
when i have a weak hand, think they have nothing and will fold. cheap way of bluffing and is pretty effective.
HU, i will do it completely randomly

einbert
09-03-2005, 04:18 AM
Question 1

Let's say a LAG (approx 35/23) that is decent after the flop but not great, opens from MP and you're in the CO. The button is pretty tight, blinds seem reasonable. Blind structure is 1/2.

How do you feel about three-betting such hands as
QJs
KTs
KJo
A8o

These are generally the minimum hands I play in this situation, and I threebet them all. Do you feel I'm too tight, too loose in this situation?

Question 2A
Against a LAG BB who is too loose and aggressive before the flop but plays well after the flop and reads hands well, what is the minimum hand you need to open from the SB in a 1/2 structure? What hands do you limp reraise here?
Question 2B
Same as question 2A except the LAG plays poorly after the flop. How much do your standards change?
Question 2C
Same as question 2A except now the player is a loose and passive player who plays pretty poorly after the flop, too passively and will call down with any one pair hand or ace high, but will show more aggression with two pair or better. What are your standards now?

Sorry for the boring preflop questions, but I feel these are things I really need to be refining right now. I hope we can get a good constructive discussion going.

wheelz
09-03-2005, 04:26 AM
do you think you play better poker when stoned?

kurosh
09-03-2005, 04:31 AM
i thought so at first but i don't think so anymore after i made some bad plays. on one hand it relaxes me and prevents me from tilting. on the other hand, it makes it harder to think and notice things. sometimes i do things automatically without thinking about it and they're bad plays.

example: full ring 10/20. i open raise A7s in MP3. button calls. bb calls.

flop T77 with two hearts. i bet, button raises, bb folds, i call.

turn 2 of hearts. i CR.

river T. i bet. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE bet. i just automatically bet without considering that he has to have a T here the vast majority of the time.

einbert i'm getting ot you.

wheelz
09-03-2005, 04:36 AM
how many tables do you play though? I think with 3+ tables it probably is a hindrance, because you'll miss more things, but if you're 1-2 tabling it just might be beneficial. agree?

kurosh
09-03-2005, 04:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Question 1

Let's say a LAG (approx 35/23) that is decent after the flop but not great, opens from MP and you're in the CO. The button is pretty tight, blinds seem reasonable. Blind structure is 1/2.

How do you feel about three-betting such hands as
QJs
KTs
KJo
A8o

These are generally the minimum hands I play in this situation, and I threebet them all. Do you feel I'm too tight, too loose in this situation?

Question 2A
Against a LAG BB who is too loose and aggressive before the flop but plays well after the flop and reads hands well, what is the minimum hand you need to open from the SB in a 1/2 structure? What hands do you limp reraise here?
Question 2B
Same as question 2A except the LAG plays poorly after the flop. How much do your standards change?
Question 2C
Same as question 2A except now the player is a loose and passive player who plays pretty poorly after the flop, too passively and will call down with any one pair hand or ace high, but will show more aggression with two pair or better. What are your standards now?

Sorry for the boring preflop questions, but I feel these are things I really need to be refining right now. I hope we can get a good constructive discussion going.

[/ QUOTE ]

Question 1 depends on the player. Most players above 3/6 are aware of position. I would tend not to 3-bet with the weaker hands like QJs and KTs. If he either plays well postflop or goes to showdown a lot, you don't want to be 3-betting those. My minimums would probably be AT, KQ, maybe KJ, and pairs down to 77 against those kind of players. If they suck and let you get away with stuff, you can probably 3-bet with the hands you listed and more.

For question 2A, this is a bad situation to be in. You must be pretty tight. The minimum hands I would raise are probably A7, K8, Q9, JT and 55. If he's LAG and raises a lot if you complete, just complete any hand in the range randomly sometimes and always raise them if he raises.

If he plays poorly postflop, just lower the hand ranges by one or two levels.

For the third guy described, I raise any two.

kurosh
09-03-2005, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how many tables do you play though? I think with 3+ tables it probably is a hindrance, because you'll miss more things, but if you're 1-2 tabling it just might be beneficial. agree?

[/ QUOTE ]i dunno. i think it depends on the person and the type of weed. it doesn't work well for me, but it might for you.

kurosh
09-03-2005, 04:50 AM
ok i'm planning on passing out in 10 minutes so hurry up if you have more questions.

einbert
09-03-2005, 04:51 AM
Thanks a lot for the answer.

I would like one more thing, for you to explain to me why you would raise with any two against the loose and passive player. Although he doesn't read hands well and isn't aggressive enough, we are still out of position and will usually have to show down the best hand to win the pot. What makes you think raising with a hand like 52o or 76s is better than folding here?

kurosh
09-03-2005, 04:54 AM
You said he calls down with any pair or ace high and isn't aggressive? Well, won't he fold a lot to our flop bets when we both have nothing? If not, that's still good. Bet your hands for value and you won't have to be worried about being bluffed out. You can take all the free cards you want.

If he doesn't fold on the flop when he has no ace high and no pair, then I'd raise my better hands but call with everything else.

aK13
09-03-2005, 04:57 AM
Who are your top 3 most respected limit players on 2p2? (HUSH or other)

Do you think you can own them at 6max? HU?

wheelz
09-03-2005, 04:59 AM
what's your favorite number of players to have at a table?

kurosh
09-03-2005, 05:06 AM
i don't know. i don't play with 2p2ers (that i'm aware of) very often. i don't think the best people post the best advice that they can either.

6max, probably not. HU, i think i have an edge over most of the top HUSH players, but that's mostly speculation. i rarely see any of them play, nor do i play with them.

kurosh
09-03-2005, 05:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what's your favorite number of players to have at a table?

[/ QUOTE ]4, sleep time.

NLSoldier
09-03-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AK-A5, KQ-K7, QJ-Q7, JT-J7, T9-T7, 98-96, 87-86, 76-75, 65 and all pairs. With mid and bottom pair, CR flop, lead turn 100%. With top pair, CR flop/CR turn 50/50. Texture matters a lot though. I am probably going to dump 76 on an AK7 flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha i wish i would have been sober for this thread, i didnt even remember asking the one question i did ask.

looks like your defending style is pretty similar to mine, although I dont CR 100%. I like to mix in some donk bets cuz i love the way they confuse the [censored] out of some poeple.

kurosh
09-03-2005, 02:21 PM
I do that against non-LAGs. LAGs won't be checking behind very often so I have to exploit that.

James282
09-03-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't know. i don't play with 2p2ers (that i'm aware of) very often. i don't think the best people post the best advice that they can either.

6max, probably not. HU, i think i have an edge over most of the top HUSH players, but that's mostly speculation. i rarely see any of them play, nor do i play with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll have no clue whom you have an edge over until you play them, especially the top HU players on this board. If you were as good as most of the people who have made any money playing HU, you'd be playing 100-200 HU like they do and not 10-20.
-James

kurosh
09-03-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but that's mostly speculation. i rarely see any of them play, nor do i play with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

sublime
09-03-2005, 03:27 PM
who thinks they are better at poker, you or themetereon? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

sthief09
09-03-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
who thinks they are better at poker, you or themetereon? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

that's like on the level of the immovable object and the unstoppable force

sublime
09-03-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's like on the level of the immovable object and the unstoppable force

[/ QUOTE ]

and then there are guys like you who are better than they could imagine.

i /images/graemlins/heart.gif you

i /images/graemlins/heart.gif your GF

does she have a sister?

09-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Didin't read this thread carefully but just wanna say that sillysal is a focking stupid hit n run biatch. I once played him hup for like 50 hands and he won like $70, now he sits outs everytime I trie to play him.
All those headsup players in prima are pretty bad - thepearl is decent and it's pain in the ass to play him when every decission takes at leat 5 secs.

Justin A
09-03-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Didin't read this thread carefully but just wanna say that sillysal is a focking stupid hit n run biatch. I once played him hup for like 50 hands and he won like $70, now he sits outs everytime I trie to play him.
All those headsup players in prima are pretty bad - thepearl is decent and it's pain in the ass to play him when every decission takes at leat 5 secs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he realized he was outmatched and is practicing good game selection? There's nothing in the rules against hit and runs.

wheelz
09-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Yeah he's funny. The guy sits at a 10/20 heads up table all day long, is pretty bad, but only plays people who he thinks he can beat. I wonder how much he actually plays every day...

He called me an asswipe after beating him /images/graemlins/grin.gif He's hostile.

sublime
09-03-2005, 05:15 PM
, is pretty bad, but only plays people who he thinks he can beat

dont talk about me like im not here please

wheelz
09-03-2005, 05:25 PM
no, i meant that as a compliment /images/graemlins/blush.gif

you have great game selection, see.

TStoneMBD
09-03-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

id like to argue that i think its wrong to prefer a player who bets opposed to a player who checkraises. the player who bets will extract value out of his hands while a player who always checkraises will not if you check behind with marginal showdown value type hands.

sublime
09-03-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no, i meant that as a compliment /images/graemlins/blush.gif

you have great game selection, see.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

spamuell
09-03-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

id like to argue that i think its wrong to prefer a player who bets opposed to a player who checkraises. the player who bets will extract value out of his hands while a player who always checkraises will not if you check behind with marginal showdown value type hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you can call with your better showdown value hands and fold most of the very worst ones (while sometimes raising), and save a bet every single time you have nothing and would certainly fold to a checkraise.

I'll take the bettor.

imported_stealthcow
09-04-2005, 12:20 PM
my pp screename is still "ravenusrhino". post a hand where you think i donked (if we have any together) and what line you think i should've taken

stealthcow-

goofball
09-04-2005, 03:42 PM
I found one where you raised UTG with A7o.

I found another one where the butotn opened, you 3bet in the SB wiht TT, the BB capped and you both called

The flop was 5 J K rainbow, you bet, the BB raised you called. YOu checkcalled the A turn and 7 river.

Hmm found one more interesting one.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: RavenusRhino is on the button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">RavenusRhino raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">RavenusRhino raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">RavenusRhino caps</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (6.20 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, RavenusRhino checks.

River: (6.20 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">RavenusRhino bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, RavenusRhino calls.

Final Pot: 10.20 BB