PDA

View Full Version : Capping the flop with the nut flush draw? (boring)

paperboyNC
09-03-2005, 12:51 AM
How many of you play this hand this way?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (12.33 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

W. Deranged
09-03-2005, 12:53 AM
Boring.

How else do you play it? You've got plenty of equity three-handed. Cap is probably for value and may buy you a free card. You're As and K's are good here a whole bunch of the time.

Nice hand.

jason_t
09-03-2005, 12:58 AM
Perfect.

villainy
09-03-2005, 01:11 AM
As long as you have two for the ride it can hardly be wrong.
BoRiNg

ebranig
09-03-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're As and K's are good here a whole bunch of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you not see that UTG limp/reraised us here? I am not comfortable with my ace or king outs.

Reads would be helpful from OP. (ie. is BB a total donk or could he be sitting on a set here?)

W. Deranged
09-03-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're As and K's are good here a whole bunch of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you not see that UTG limp/reraised us here? I am not comfortable with my ace or king outs.

Reads would be helpful from OP. (ie. is BB a total donk or could he be sitting on a set here?)

[/ QUOTE ]

A'ight... so maybe they're not that good. They don't have to be. Whatever. It's all gravy, baby.

paperboyNC
09-03-2005, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read on UTG

UTG joined the table after I sat down. He bought in short at 132.50 (telling me it's his whole account balance). He posted BB as the CO on his first hand. He did show down a limp re-raise once and showed J/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Though he check-called when he missed the flop. His VPIP was 64%.

Read on BB

BB a donk. He had a stat of 54% VPIP. He started the hand shortstacked with $61.19 that seemed to be all he had. Here is a good example of his donkish-ness. He is the <font color="red">small blind</font> in this hand:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif. UTG posts a blind of $4.
UTG (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2.16 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

River: (2.16 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, Hero folds, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 4.16 BB

Results below:
SB has 6c 9h (one pair, jacks). <font color="red"> Why did he call the river with nine high?</font>
Button has Ah 6s (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: Button wins 4.16 BB.

ebranig
09-03-2005, 02:44 AM
This is why reads are soooo important to playing hands.

With no reads I think capping is a clear mistake, with these in mind though, it's not terrible.

W. Deranged
09-03-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

With no reads I think capping is a clear mistake, with these in mind though, it's not terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Capping can never be a mistake, even with reads.

Note, if we have a tight read on villain, it means he's probably not that likely to be limp reraising JJ or another hand that hit a set here. Hence, our flush outs are more pure on the flop. So we cap the flop for value.

If we have a loose/aggro read on villain, he's more likely to have a set on the flop, but we're also more likely to have clean A and K outs. So we cap the flop for value.

If you're talking about pre-flop the cap is good because often the limp reraise is with suited connectors or trash, and there are other players involved who likely have trash that we are thrashing.

paperboyNC
09-03-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with W. Deranged. Capping is never a mistake here.

jskills
09-03-2005, 02:11 PM
Capping makes sense when you've got more than one opponent. Period. The more involved, the more sense it makes.

Reads mean nothing, since you're seeing the river no matter.

Dagger78
09-03-2005, 02:12 PM
If you've seen UTG limp-RR before, this is prefect. You're Aces and Kings are good enough to give you the equity need to cap this flop. I'd play it the same.

TaintedRogue
09-03-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither am I. I believe the clubs are your only outs.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you are right on, unless he also has clubs.

TaintedRogue
09-03-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
With the players playing this bad, I believe "reads" go out the window as being worthless.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he has a read. The player who open-limped UTG and then re-raised. If he doesn't have AA, then it's AK

paperboyNC
09-03-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read my post with reads? /images/graemlins/smile.gif The only time he showed down a limp/re-raise he had AJo.

setzf
09-03-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read on UTG

UTG joined the table after I sat down. He bought in short at 132.50 (telling me it's his whole account balance). He posted BB as the CO on his first hand. He did show down a limp re-raise once and showed J/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Though he check-called when he missed the flop. His VPIP was 64%.

Read on BB

BB a donk. He had a stat of 54% VPIP. He started the hand shortstacked with $61.19 that seemed to be all he had. Here is a good example of his donkish-ness. He is the <font color="red">small blind</font> in this hand:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif. UTG posts a blind of $4.
UTG (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

Turn: (2.16 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

River: (2.16 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, Hero folds, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 4.16 BB

Results below:
SB has 6c 9h (one pair, jacks). <font color="red"> Why did he call the river with nine high?</font>
Button has Ah 6s (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: Button wins 4.16 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]
Im curious why you didn't bet the turn here.

paperboyNC
09-03-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With a 2BB pot, it's not profitable to bet 1BB here. If anyone had a 7 or a J, they weren't likely to bet them on the flop, but they may call or raise here.

Thinking players might bluff-raise forcing me to fold and I don't even have position to take a free showdown. Let's say someone with AJ calls. I check the river and he bets. Then what?

I probably would have called the river had the SB not called.

TaintedRogue
09-03-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're talking about pre-flop the cap is good because often the limp reraise is with suited connectors or trash, and there are other players involved who likely have trash that we are thrashing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everything you said in your post except this. I find it hard to believe (as I can't remember seeing, first hand, a player re-raise EP with suited connectors preflop, much less trash.)that UTG re-raised preflop with KQs against only two opponents. Unless, the players are so bad, he figures they either have Ax, with x being less than a Q, or he has two overcards to whatever they have.
Isn't he just reducing his implied odds by re-raising preflop? Now, Hero just recently arrived at the game, so it could be that he considers him as nothing but another fish.

TaintedRogue
09-03-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe, that in situations like this, you make more money ck/calling with weak hands like this, then getting out of line. It accomplishes a lot more, even if you don't win the hand. I would have called the river for the purpose of declaring what I called the river with, not with the expectation of winning.

TaintedRogue
09-03-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read my post with reads? /images/graemlins/smile.gif The only time he showed down a limp/re-raise he had AJo.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I did not read that post before replying. You were in a very juicy game. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

paperboyNC
09-03-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, I did not read that post before replying. You were in a very juicy game. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The BB on this hand had T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif and stayed 'til showdown on that flop of J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. LOL

Gotta love the juicy Friday night tables.

TaintedRogue
09-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Yes! We have one here in my area. 2 orbits of Hold Em and 1 orbit of Omaha (high only). When you have 4-6 players, in an eleven handed game, who chase 4 outers without sufficient pot odds, you have to luv em when they glow in their excitement of making their hand. I try to make it a point to congragulate them. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

setzf
09-03-2005, 05:11 PM
thanks for the reply, i ask becuase i think this might be a leak in my game, that is fighting for small pots out of position with just a small pair.