PDA

View Full Version : LAGs in no limit

winky51
09-02-2005, 10:51 PM
I have ran accross several LAGS in $100 and $200 NL that raise with any 2 cards that have 2 of 3..

paint, connecting (like 96s), suited.

usually a VPIP or 45-55% and PRF of 20-24%

They play well post flop. It seems like I can never put them on a hand and having TP/TK I am faced with a raise on the turn at times with a strangely unlikely draw on the board. They can be bluffing or actually have hit their gut.

Seems like their profit basically comes from implied odds of a player not believing they have the seemingly redicoulus hand they are representing.

articles, books, advise? Live I can handle them because I can read them but online there are no tells.

AlexMR
09-03-2005, 01:40 AM
If they are good LAGs, which are rare at the smaller tables (NL$50--$25) youŽd better stay away from them! The only way to go is to trap them with a monster, but if they are good they will know when to fold a hand against a TAG.

They used to make me (IŽm TAG-UA) play their game and cleaned me out. Sometimes you can give them their own medicine and push on the flop with TPTK. Notice I say sometimes. Some very good players I know say MOST of the time TPTK is enough to go against the LAG. I just think that adds too much variance and if you can handle it (mentally) it s ok, and probably EV+. I think it s better to let them have the small pots and hit them hard with your monsters. It s also very frustrating when they are good enough to fold their good hands against you when they are beat.

I just try to focus on the overall results and not in how I m doing against a particular player on the table. In most sites there are many LP, WT, TP and CS,SM to make money from them...it s not necessary to outplay everyone. Remember that LAG is the hardest style to play and definetely the hardest style to play against.

Be creative with the good hands and SOMETIMES, put pressure back with nothing more than TPTK. Stay away from their craziness.... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

AlexMR.

xorbie
09-03-2005, 01:56 AM
Play back at them PF and on the flop with good strong hands. The hardest part about being a LAG is having a mediocre hand and getting played back at and not knowing where you are. Paying off their rivered gutshot is just an unfortunate thing you will have to do. But get it back when they raise with KJs and you find AK on the button.

ethan
09-03-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Play back at them PF and on the flop with good strong hands. The hardest part about being a LAG is having a mediocre

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing I liked about Barry Greenstein's "Ace on the River" book was the small chart regarding how to adjust your play based on your opponents. It gives a "typical adjustment" and then a better option. While that table may be more obvious to people who have been playing for awhile, it provides some interesting perspective for newer players. And one important part of it is that vs a LAG it says "reraise more" while a lot of people decide they're better off playing too tight vs a lag. If you just sit back and wait for the nuts you're going to get run over.

When I play LAG, I hate having someone on my left who keeps reraising me.

winky51
09-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Yup I am avoiding them. Live I can handle, they got tells, online, no way.

This guy would pull something like this.
$200 NL

LAG raises $6, TAG holding (AsQho) reraises $18, LAG calls ($27 in pot)

FLOP: Ks 8c 5d

LAG checks, TAG bets $20, LAG reraises to $50.

I look at the board, no pair, no draw, I fold.

LAG flashes (ATo) no pair no draw.

Took some major balls to try that bluff considering I reraised, the K came on the board, AND I bet 2/3 the pot. What can I do but fold. Didnt tilt either becase I know thats whay he wanted just said "nice bluff".

vulturesrow
09-07-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I play LAG, I hate having someone on my left who keeps reraising me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I mostly try to play this style, this is definitely a tough situation. But most players arent good enough to do this or ballsy enough. Playing this way has done wonders for my frequency of getting paid off on a good hand. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

09-07-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yup I am avoiding them. Live I can handle, they got tells, online, no way.

This guy would pull something like this.
$200 NL

LAG raises $6, TAG holding (AsQho) reraises $18, LAG calls ($27 in pot)

FLOP: Ks 8c 5d

LAG checks, TAG bets $20, LAG reraises to $50.

I look at the board, no pair, no draw, I fold.

LAG flashes (ATo) no pair no draw.

Took some major balls to try that bluff considering I reraised, the K came on the board, AND I bet 2/3 the pot. What can I do but fold. Didnt tilt either becase I know thats whay he wanted just said "nice bluff".

[/ QUOTE ]

There's actually over $36 in the pot, and you bet half pot, but I'm just earning nit points right now : )