PDA

View Full Version : build pot or protect hand?

jt1
09-02-2005, 10:21 PM
I'd also like to know if anyone raises this preflop.
Table is tight and I assume that villian is likewise.
My river check was based on my table read as my standard play is to bet TPWK on the river but since my kicker was counterfieted maybe this should be the standard play?

Dealt to HolyPokerII [ 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, A /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]

UTG+1_ calls (3)
Briktamland (MP2) calls (3)
CO calls (3)
HolyPokerII (BUTTON) calls (3)
BB checks.

5 sb [ K /images/graemlins/heart.gif, A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif ]

Maddog75a checks.
Jx2C_ checks.
BrikTamland bets (3)
JDM12 folds.
HolyPokerII raises (6) to 6
Maddog75a folds.
Jx2C_ folds.
BrikTamland calls (3)

4 bb [ 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ]

BrikTamland checks.
HolyPokerII bets (6)
BrikTamland calls (6)

6 bb [ J /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]

BrikTamland checks.
HolyPokerII checks.

shant
09-02-2005, 10:23 PM
You played this fine until you checked the river.

jt1
09-02-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You played this fine until you checked the river

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that a river check is bad against a tight opponent. Ofcourse my read may have been off. I'd only been at table for a few hands.

Why don't you want to build the pot here? Is the hand not strong enough? If not then how strong does the hand have to be?

pokergrader
09-02-2005, 10:27 PM
Bet/fold the river.

Redd
09-02-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You played this fine until you checked the river

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that a river check is bad against a tight opponent. Ofcourse my read may have been off. I'd only been at table for a few hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

He openlimped from MP2, so he's likely either
a) Not that fond of his hand,
b) Not that much of a TAG, or
c) both.

I think that all but 2 of the better aces are raising preflop here (possibly even fewer), and this guy's might pay off with a king. I'd say it's a value-bet.

shant
09-02-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you want to build the pot here?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm confused. You have a pair of Aces with a 7 kicker, right? We're slowplaying that now?

jt1
09-02-2005, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He openlimped from MP2, so he's likely either
a) Not that fond of his hand,
b) Not that much of a TAG, or
c) both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian limped after an EP player limped. I never said villian was a TAG. He could be a mouse. I don't beat any worse Aces and if he's a decent player then he folds anything less. I've told you before that I think he's a winning player, though maybe I should error on the side of betting.

I usually don't even have a read so the river play isn't my main concern. I'm trying to understand the build pot vs protect hand concept. If anyone could enlighten me, I'd be grateful.

jt1
09-02-2005, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm conused. You have a pair of Aces with a 7 kicker, right? We're slowplaying that now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play limit very often and when I did, I was a grinder full time who cared more about playing his shift then learning the finer aspects of the game. I now have a day job and can play just a little bit and study the rest of the time.

The way I figure it, if I'm ahead on the flop then my kicker is irrelevant. My equity against a smaller pair is the same as it would be if I had AK except that maybe it's more likely that my kicker would only give him a worse 2 pair.

I'll re-read this chapter in SSHE