PDA

View Full Version : Hello! Semi-dead A's on 4th in ....

SittingBull
04-19-2003, 06:37 PM
this 1/5 no ante stud game.
Bull: (A 6) 2 A (rainbow, ONE "A" folded)
OP1 (X,X) 4c 9c
OP2 (X,X) J J ( Don't remember the other suits)

OP2 bets 2SB's and OP1 bumped it up to 4SB's
Pot is laying me about 3 to 1
Hmmm How should the Bull proceed with his hand??
Just wondering
Happy pokering, /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
SittingBull

patrick dicaprio
04-20-2003, 08:15 AM
i would probably at least call here. you have a dead card but may be up against just jacks and a four flush. one thing you dont say is if ther was a raise on third. i presume there was not because you didnt fold. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif without a raise there is some reason to believe that he only has a pair of jacks. i would raise here if i thought the jacks would fold and could play heads up against OP1. if Op 1 has trip fours then too bad for you /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Pat

34TheTruth34
04-20-2003, 06:30 PM
if you three are the only players in the pot, then it certainly looks like OP2 wants to keep you in by betting only $2 [btw, pretty please with a cherry on top use dollar amounts instead of Xsbs or Xbbs], therefore I might put him on three jacks and fold. I mean, if he has two fours in the hole or something, he'd probably bet the max and try to get you two out. However, if the opponent would usually bet $2 no matter what then maybe take off a card or two. If OP2 senses that you have aces and continues to bet into you, it's definitely time to fold if you don't catch your third bullet.

SittingBull
04-20-2003, 07:43 PM
at least two pairs--if not a set. I did,like U,put the other player on a 4-flush. If the J's had a set,he would probably go for the overcall(bait me in).I do think calling is worse than attempting an isolation raise IF I believed the J's would fold. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif
However,my "instinct" indicated that there was no chance of this /forums/images/icons/frown.gif (Yes,I do make "instinctive" decisions). I guess U might say that I rely heavily upon my judgment based upon evidence gathered after playing with an opponent for several sessions. U are correct. There was no 3rd Str. raise.
SittingBull

SittingBull
04-20-2003, 07:57 PM
the J's might be attempting to keep me in with a 2.00 bet if he has a set.
Even if he has 4's in the hole,I'm in bad shape against two pairs on 4th and a 4-flush.
My most likely hand by the showdown,if I improve,is two pairs.
Hmmm...BTW,Is xSB's,xBB's confusing to U?? If not Y do U want me to indicate $ amount instead of amounts in SB's and BB's...if this IS confusing, /forums/images/icons/confused.gif then I will start using $ amount..any other valid reason also will justify using $ amounts instead of SB's and BB's. Indicate your reason...
SittingBull

Wombat6
04-20-2003, 09:49 PM
I dont like your hand At all. This may be one of those cases when it is correct to fold what is probably the best hand.

you opponents need to catch bad and you need to catch another live suited overcard to stay and even then you may very well likely be beat by the river. I say raise the Max or fold. By raising the max you are representing slow played AA under now having a set. Also you ward off some of the posibility that you will get repopped which will likely happen if you call. If This raise will slow down the JJ and get the dink flush off his draw either here or on fifth I say go for it . if it wont, as my friends in the north like to say, EL Foldo. You might have to cut loose with a double barrled or even a triple barreled shot gun blast to win this one. If you ar'nt willing to do that, which is OK, I say Fold.

see aces coated with glue syndrome by Roy West at: www.cardplayer.com (http://www.cardplayer.com)

Wombat6

CJC
04-21-2003, 02:55 AM
HELLO BULL,

Long time, no speak... but then again I haven't been around. ( I actually played cards for the first time the other day in WEEKS. I was actually in a TIGHT $10-20 Mohegan game.. )

Anywhoo...

You are not in a good spot here. It would help in our analysis if you gave some better player descriptions, cause this is a toughie. Why you ask? Cause it is THREE handed... Normally an ideal situation with Aces.

It all boils down to what you think the person with JJ holds. If there is any reasonable possibility that he has three JAcks ( only you could know through observation of his previous play ) you have to fold here!!

1) Your position sucks.
2) You know at the VERY LEAST you are aginst a four flush and possibly a set from that player
3) Paired doorcard man. Paired doorcard..

1-5 no ante game.... Wait for a better spot..

If you find out later that you layed down incorrectly, then you just adjust your play accordingly..

CJ

SittingBull
04-22-2003, 02:23 PM
I,too, did NOT like my hand in this spot.
SittingBull

SittingBull
04-22-2003, 02:30 PM
I agree with your excellent analysis. I did NOT like my hand either.
SittingBull

SittingBull
04-22-2003, 02:42 PM
advised on my "FOLDING". I agree. I FOLDED on 4th. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
The J's continued to pound on 5th,6th, and 7th. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif
I suspect that he had at least a set of J's. The "J's" were live.
The other player was on a 4-flush and missed.
Hence,I was NOT able to see what the J's really had. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
I believed that I made a good fold. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
SittingBull

34TheTruth34
04-24-2003, 02:20 PM
Even if he has 4's in the hole,I'm in bad shape against two pairs on 4th and a 4-flush.

I guess that was my point. That is your best case scenario, and you're still facing a better hand and a live draw with a semi-dead hand. Combine this with the fact that you may actually be up against trip jacks or trip fours or nines (the other player may not be a flush draw though it sure looks like it), and you'll see why most of us recommended a fold. BTW, since you're folding the bring in hand, they don't know you actually had something.

The xxxBB and xxxSB thing just bothers me because I have to go back and think what the game is and do the math and convert small bets to big bets. Then, when you get into the "He bets 2/3BB...", that really annoys me. Isn't is just easier to say, "he bet $3 into a $7 pot" or "he bet $3 and the pot is now $10" or something?

At any rate, good hand and good stud post. It's a simple hand, but also not so simple as most low limit players I play against would call all the way down, even the river with just aces. That's where you make all that theoretical money. Like Tommy Angelo has said before, ::paraphrasing:: "If you want to make money, pick up aces and play them. If you want to make more money, play them better than your opponents". Of course that means making more money when they're good, but it also means laying them down when they're no good.

Happy [belated] Easter to you also!

SittingBull
04-24-2003, 05:07 PM

Andy B
04-24-2003, 07:47 PM
When people talk about SBs and BBs in hold'em posts, it's clear what they're talking about. When someone bets $3 in a $1-5 stud game, it isn't 3 SBs. That would imply three bets, where it's just one bet of $3. I also think that using dollars is clearer, and that your posts are confusing enough as it is. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

SittingBull
04-26-2003, 02:19 AM
1SB in a 1/5 stud game?? Isn't( 1 bet of 3) the same as(3/5 of a BB)?? What am I missing ?? I also realize that my posts are confusing /forums/images/icons/frown.gif --providing sparse information. The reason is that I want the posters to "go into my mind" and "decode" my thinking. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif There is very little challenge in my posts if I give many details /forums/images/icons/mad.gif . However,the main reason I do not give much information is that I can't remember many of them. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
Just wondering, /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
SittingBull

Andy B
04-26-2003, 11:28 AM
In a typical structured limit game, "small bet" and "big bet" have very specific meanings. There is no "small bet" in a spread-limit game. You call a $3 bet "3 SB," but it isn't, nor is it 3/5 BB. It is a single, $3 bet. I think that using "SB" and "BB" in spread-limit posts can only lead to confusion. Also, "$3" uses fewer keystrokes than "3 SB." /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I usually can't get inside the heads of people sitting across the table from me, let alone people who are several states away.