PDA

View Full Version : Why do you play SNG's?

LethalRose
09-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Im a cash NL player, and ive been recently disenchanted by cash nl, its just boring. I also hear SNG's have less variance over time and I enjoy playing them and MTT's a lot more. I'm thinking of switching...thoughts?

I have a pretty good roll playing 100NL and MTT's for quite a while, so im thinking of jumping in the 20's

Seth Money
09-02-2005, 09:19 PM
Watch out for Rapt when he gets back on Monday, hahaha. SnG's are fun till you start 8 tabling 5 hours a day, smoking a pack of cigarrettes each hour, drinking red bull and wild turkey.

But yes the variance is less. Plays are more mechanical in the games. And if you can multi table u'll be golden /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

..... And reading of here of course

Seth

09-03-2005, 04:18 AM
sort of hijacking the thread... but you mentioned it in the last post.

Im a good $22 player, based on my ROI, but thats at a single table. How do I evolve my game to enable me to multi-table.

in particular could you make general statements on effective opponent reading with 4+ tables (pokertracker time)?

and also, how does multitabling (at least initally) affect your playing range?

sry for the partial hijack, but it could be pertinent information for the OP.

late

bones
09-03-2005, 05:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you play SNG's?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the poon. Sng'ers pull the hottest broads.

AtticusFinch
09-03-2005, 08:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I enjoy playing them and MTT's a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

That pretty much sums it up for me. SNGs may be somewhat mechanical, but at least you get a mix fo tight vs. aggressive play, all over a relatively short period of time.

MTTs are my favorite, but have MUCH higher variance, and I don't always have 4 hours to kill.

AtticusFinch
09-03-2005, 08:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you play SNG's?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of which, who's that in your avatar?

09-03-2005, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you play SNG's?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Vida Guerra?

Paul2432
09-03-2005, 10:27 AM
I've been thinking about posting on this topic from a slightly different angle. One benefit of SNGs (up to the 215 level) is that the rake is smaller. For example a 20+2 table collects $30/hr in rake (assuming 1.5 games/hr). A 25NL or 50NL table collects significantly more. Theoretially a player with equal skill in both games should win more in the SNGs.

Once you get to the higher levels the reverse is true. If you compare a step 5 to a 1000NL or 2000NL table the rake is much less at the NL tables because ring game rake is capped at $3 but SNG rake keeps going up.

Paul

stupidsucker
09-03-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you play SNG's?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Vida Guerra?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. (answering for him)

I like bones avatar because you can rightclick/view it for a larger view of that ass.

CaptSensible
09-03-2005, 11:22 AM
I don't have the patience to sit for hours and hours in front of my pc grinding it out. Party SnGs last about 45 minutes. If I'm playing live I can easily spend a few hours playing in a ring game but not alone in front of my computer. That and I do better at sngs /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mlagoo
09-03-2005, 11:54 AM
I enjoy SNGs (far) more than ring games just because of the way they come to a natural conclusion. In ring games, I get bored so much faster, because it just goes on and on. I take a bad beat, and I reload. But nothing in the game dynamic has changed. In SNGs, you take a bad beat and you get a fresh start, new players, new everything. It definitely keeps poker interesting for me.