PDA

View Full Version : bad play with nines?

09-02-2005, 07:59 PM
This is my first post so I'm figuring out how things work.
Please let me know how I'm doing. I was playing a $20+2 sng when this hand came up:
blinds at 10-20 at full table.

Hero (1,040) is sb with 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif and villian (500) raises to 110 from middle position. Hero calls. flop: 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif j /images/graemlins/diamond.gif , hero bets 250. Villian moves in for another 140. Hero calls.

I didn't want to reraise with the nines that early in the tournament. When the flop came jack high I decided to take a stab at the pot. I think my flop bet pretty much committed me to the hand, so I guess i had no exit strategy. Can you fold to his reraise? Feedback? Suggestions? I'd love to know how I could have played it better. Thanks

TheSalche
09-02-2005, 08:22 PM
looks fine ... pretty unthreatening flop for 9s ... he may be raising with an ace that doesn't contain a jack ... once you make that bet you have to call his reraise

he might be on a diamond draw in which case you're well ahead

09-02-2005, 08:23 PM
First of all, folding is absolutely out of the question. you are getting over 6:1 pot odds and I think the range of hands he raises with preflop and moves in with on the flop definitely includes several hands that are worse than your nines.

People do strange things in these tourneys and perceive themselves as desperate short stacks at 500 chips irrespective of the blinds. He could have 88 but his biggish preflop raise (almost 6XBB) screams overcards to me. He could easily make a move with a flush draw or AQ, AK. That being said, he could be way ahead with a J or an overpair but the pot is too big not to call for 140 at this point.

As far as playing the hand differently, I don't know if I would change much. Check-folding the flop is pretty weak-tight, I'm sure he pushes if you check no matter what he has. A half-pot information bet may have given you some fold equity but it gives him odds to call a flush draw.

Given that you know he is pot-committed to a $250 call and then you are subsequently pot-committed, the 250 bet actually doesn't make sense. It is either check-fold or push. It's a nerve-racking hand but I think it adds up to a push.

niquewon
09-02-2005, 08:37 PM
After your bet on the flop you're committted to this hand. You're getting better than 6:1 here so call and hope he's holding onto two overcards.

In this situation I think you're better off folding preflop, it's early in the tournament and you don't have enough committed into the pot to justify getting yourself into a situation where you're at best a slight favorite to win. If you are going to call and bet out on the flop I would have bet about half of the pot so that if villan came over the top I could fold and leave myself with a fairly healthy stack.