PDA

View Full Version : Drunk Driving Commercial...

DcifrThs
09-02-2005, 07:40 PM
Just saw a drunk driving commercial on fox.

its also on many other stations.

it shows 3 differnet people saying "im wasted" or something along those lines to policemen in cars.

the issue i have w/ this commercial is all of the people "confessing" to the officers are white, aged likely 20-30 or so.

anybody know the odds of this...i.e. what % of DUI & DWIs are white 20-30? vs. general population, or vs. specific other segments?, cities? suburbs? where checkpoints tend to be?

i think that if i would choose it would be 2 of these guys and at least 1 person of another gender/race/age.

thoughts?

shut up barron?

-Barron

LethalRose
09-02-2005, 07:43 PM
im going with the ladder

DcifrThs
09-02-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
im going with the ladder

[/ QUOTE ]

get climbing.

Barron

Voltron87
09-02-2005, 07:46 PM
thats probably their target audience.

i dont think theyre effective at all. people are either going to be selfish assholes or they'll realize that drunk driving is not something that should ever be done. people either get this or they dont, in my experience.

malokoman
09-02-2005, 07:51 PM
I pretty much agree, and the commercial in question will most likely do little. The more effective commercials,or more likely to be effective, were the ones several years ago showing clips of several home movies of a child playing etc. followed by a text message stating that the child was killed on such date by a drunk driver.

Eurotrash
09-02-2005, 07:54 PM
yeah, if I directed this commercial, all of the people I cast would be shirtless or wearing filthy wife beaters, they'd be sporting mullets, and they'd be wearing camouflage trucker hats with a hunting and/or fishing license attached to the back

bernie
09-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Equality only works when putting the people in good light. It's kind of a one way street.

Ever notice how many commercials make fun of guys and how dumb we can be in some situations(which many are true /images/graemlins/wink.gif to a certain extent) but you rarely see women being portrayed that way while being made fun of by a guy?

The husband being the big dumb lummox at home while the gal runs around and keeps everything moving smoothly. You don't really ever see it the other way around which would also play on some jokes about women that men have. God no.

Watch for that comparison.

b

DeadMoneyOC
09-02-2005, 08:14 PM
Who cares?

Sponger15SB
09-02-2005, 08:15 PM
http://www.every15minutes.com/photos/index.html

My school spent over $200,000 on this one week program. Talk about a massive waste of money.

Voltron87
09-02-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.every15minutes.com/photos/index.html

My school spent over $200,000 on this one week program. Talk about a massive waste of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is truly LOLLERSKATES

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 08:20 PM
The beginning of the commercial is basically satire. They are saying "we can't except people to just some turn themselves in...".

Who cares what race/color they are? They are all drunk.

bernie
09-02-2005, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The beginning of the commercial is basically satire. They are saying "we can't except people to just some turn themselves in...".

[/ QUOTE ]

The NAACP would care if they were all black people being portrayed this way, wouldn't they?

b

Klepton
09-02-2005, 08:26 PM
usually it's white people who think they are above the law.

09-02-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Equality only works when putting the people in good light. It's kind of a one way street.

Ever notice how many commercials make fun of guys and how dumb we can be in some situations(which many are true /images/graemlins/wink.gif to a certain extent) but you rarely see women being portrayed that way while being made fun of by a guy?

The husband being the big dumb lummox at home while the gal runs around and keeps everything moving smoothly. You don't really ever see it the other way around which would also play on some jokes about women that men have. God no.

Watch for that comparison.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

So true. It's become politically correct and even encouraged to socially pick on the dumb white guy. Maybe it's because dumb white guys are the only kinds of people left who won't scream "repression."

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The NAACP would care if they were all black people being portrayed this way, wouldn't they?

b

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd have to ask them.

We have seen commercials of both variety's in the past...at what point do we just assume it balances out and worry about the actual issue (drunk driving)?

09-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Tangents seem rampant in OOT, I've quickly learned. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yes, the point is drunk driving. Drunk driving is very bad, and people shouldn't do it.

jokerthief
09-02-2005, 08:34 PM
About 100% where I live.

Alobar
09-02-2005, 08:41 PM
wow, white people being unfairly portrayed for a change. gee say it aint so

besides, other races prolly dont drink and drive, they are busy smoking crack or the car they are in is stolen so it doesnt matter if they are drunk, they are going to jail anyway. <font color="white"> Note to uptight Mod: thats a joke </font>

DavidC
09-02-2005, 09:13 PM
Might be a good idea to mix up the race a bit, however, the age thing is likely to be targetted towards who they're trying to reach.

billyjex
09-02-2005, 09:17 PM
duh, black people are too poor to afford cars, and mexicans all pile into one big truck. there's usually a sober one out of the group to drive.

oh, and asians wrecked their cars because they suck at driving.

bernie
09-02-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd have to ask them.

We have seen commercials of both variety's in the past...at what point do we just assume it balances out and worry about the actual issue (drunk driving)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have to ask them, I just look at their history when something like that comes up.

Should it take away from the message? No. But it is kinda fun to spot the doublestandards that our media uses.

b

wonderwes
09-03-2005, 01:56 PM
That advertisement runs multiple times per day here. How come you don't see any fat cops in the ads?

tbach24
09-03-2005, 01:57 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
That advertisement runs multiple times per day here. How come you don't see any fat cops in the ads?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're at Dunkin' Donuts

Vaughn
09-03-2005, 03:01 PM
I've been a 20-30 something white male for all 6 of my DUI arrests. (Only one conviction though).