PDA

View Full Version : Great table, so where do you want to sit?

AdamL
09-02-2005, 07:33 PM
In another thread one fellow was asking about whether a table that had four loose fishy players was worth playing at. The key was, his seat was to the right of the fish, with the TAGs on his right.

Some posters felt that any seat at a table with four fish was a good seat, and they're probably right. One fellow said he'd even want the TAGs on his right if isolation plays were unlikely to work. This I thought was interesting.

If there were only two fish, you really might want to have them (the fish) on your immediate right. Everyone in the shark tank is going to be taking a shot at them and getting your chunk will be much easier if you can be raising behind them frequently rather than raising in front of them infrequently.

However, the advantages of sitting with the TAGs on your right are clear -- acting after them allows you to stay out of trouble to some degree, and if they themselves aren't iso-raising the fish you could do quite well.

I imagine the case for sitting with the TAGs on your right is strengthened as the number of fish at the table goes up. How many fish would you want to make the switch?

Anyhow, I thought it was interesting.

bottomset
09-02-2005, 07:38 PM
having TAGs on your left is a good thing since you force them out of most hands you want to play

you want fish on the right, tags and rocks on the left

AdamL
09-02-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I see a situation like this, I usually decline the open seat and re-join the waitlist when the seat fills. I really want something to the right of the tags.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm only looking to be to the right of a TAG if the T is big enough that I think I can muscle them out of hands when I want to isolate the LAGs/LPs. Otherwise, I like having them acting before I do, and play accordingly. Unless, of course, they're uber-agg preflop, in which case I'll probably bail out of the table.

As to the position of the loosies, I don't worry as much about that. You can exploit these players regardless of your relative position...if you're acting first, you stick to premium hands and pound them, if you're acting after, you isolate and out-play them postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

From here. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3299546&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

The fellow may be wrong, but that's where this is coming from anyhow.

FWIW, I've always been inclined to agree with your view.

Saint_D
09-02-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
having TAGs on your left is a good thing since you force them out of most hands you want to play

[/ QUOTE ]

aK13
09-02-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A rock on the right wouldn't bother me, FWIW.

AdamL
09-02-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys know I'm calling this into question right?

aK13
09-02-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with TAGs on your right is that you start getting shoved out of pots with starting hands much better than the fish. You want to play as many hands as possible with them, since they are very likely to pay you off. For example, say you are dealt AJ and fish limps, TAG raises. You must fold your frequently dominated hand, but sometimes the TAG may be raising light (A9s, since he wants to iso the fish), so you have now been pushed off the better hand. However, having the TAG to your left allows you to put him into a situation where he may fold the better preflop hand.

Also, position on a TAG is pretty useless, since you often are not involved in as many pots with him as you are with the fish (nor do you want to be), so it's better to get position on the players you plan on going up with the most (the fish).

AdamL
09-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Well, I think that is correct. But I do see another side of the coin, as the number of fish goes up.

An extreme example will illustrate. You have 8 total loose passive fish at your table and one TAG. Do you want the TAG on your direct left or right?

I think a fair case can be made in circumstances with plenty of fish for having the tight player on your right.

bottomset
09-02-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with TAGs on your right is that you start getting shoved out of pots with starting hands much better than the fish. You want to play as many hands as possible with them, since they are very likely to pay you off. For example, say you are dealt AJ and fish limps, TAG raises. You must fold your frequently dominated hand, but sometimes the TAG may be raising light (A9s, since he wants to iso the fish), so you have now been pushed off the better hand. However, having the TAG to your left allows you to put him into a situation where he may fold the better preflop hand.

Also, position on a TAG is pretty useless, since you often are not involved in as many pots with him as you are with the fish (nor do you want to be), so it's better to get position on the players you plan on going up with the most (the fish).

[/ QUOTE ]

this is very true, since the hands you play in raised pots are far fewer than hands you play in unraised pots, TAGs on the right jump in ahead of you, knock you out of the way most of the time, often causing you to fold hands you would play if the bastard didn't get in there first.

[ QUOTE ]
A rock on the right wouldn't bother me, FWIW.

[/ QUOTE ]

true, but its much better for them to be on the left.

one exception, having Entity on your left really sucks(2+2tables), he's a tricky mofo, that outplays me into the ground postflop, having position on him is nice

aK13
09-02-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I think that is correct. But I do see another side of the coin, as the number of fish goes up.

An extreme example will illustrate. You have 8 total loose passive fish at your table and one TAG. Do you want the TAG on your direct left or right?

I think a fair case can be made in circumstances with plenty of fish for having the tight player on your right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what the advantage of having him on the right here is.

AdamL
09-02-2005, 08:41 PM
Gives you an edge post-flop? (You have position on him most of the time.)