PDA

View Full Version : Stop posting please

bobman0330
09-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Every post I've read today has been stupid, pointless or worse.

No one here understands the exact extent and specific causes of the ongoing catastrophe in New Orleans.
No one at this moment is particularly familiar with any of the facts involved.
All of you seem to be primarily interested in twisting the sketchy facts to suit whatever your personal political beliefs are.

Give it a week, learn all the facts, and then make whatever posts you feel the need to. This forum is making my skin crawl right now.

Exsubmariner
09-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Welcome to the politics forum.

DVaut1
09-02-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Every post I've read today has been stupid, pointless or worse.

No one at this moment is particularly familiar with any of the facts involved.

All of you seem to be primarily interested in twisting the sketchy facts to suit whatever your personal political beliefs are.

[/ QUOTE ]

This probably describes 99.9% of all posts here, including my own, I'm sure. Many of these posts were on other, quite serious topics.

Why should we stop now?

jokerthief
09-02-2005, 07:21 PM
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8220/1mb857ab.jpg

09-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Anyone else find it remarkable that someone who posted (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=politics&Number=3263850&Fo rum=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main =3260756&Search=true&where=&Name=16110&daterange=& newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev =#Post3263850) "Poor people in general mooch off of the rest of society. Not a pleasant thing to say, but definitely true. Illegal immigrants are universally poor."

is lecturing others about posting when not "particularly familiar with any of the facts involved"?

bobman0330
09-02-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else find it remarkable that someone who posted (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=politics&Number=3263850&Fo rum=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main =3260756&Search=true&where=&Name=16110&daterange=& newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev =#Post3263850) "Poor people in general mooch off of the rest of society. Not a pleasant thing to say, but definitely true. Illegal immigrants are universally poor."

is lecturing others about posting when not "particularly familiar with any of the facts involved"?

[/ QUOTE ]

In an effort to make my post less personally offensive, I omitted the fact that quite a few of you are unable to comprehend the meaning of written material, construct coherent arguments, or think. You, Mr. Gimmick Account, are among those people, as you showcase in this post.

Anyone who's read this forum lately will be well aware that you have led the charge in terms of using this disaster to advance a political agenda. Unless you have some inside source the rest of us are not privy to, it's hard to imagine that you have sufficient factual knowledge to support the hypothesis that "Republicans apparently can't govern."

To respond to this, you quote, but do not even attempt to refute, an earlier quotation of mine. You imply that I am unfamiliar with the facts. Would that be the fact that in FY 2000, the federal government spent $313 billion on welfare programs. (According to the Heritage Foundation) State and local funding on welfare and other benefits for the poor such as homeless shelters is harder to quantify, but not insubstantial. In return, federal income tax receipts from individuals and couples with gross incomes below $30,000 totalled around $45 million. Incomes less than $50,000 totalled around $125 million. (Brookings)

It's important to note that I never suggested cutting these programs back at all. I merely noted that the benefits are gratuitous and undeserved, i.e., "mooching." Extrinsic motives such as compassion and humanity demand that we fund programs designed to aid the poor. These extrinsic motives are weaker when the poor people in question are illegal immigrants, which explains why many people are angered when illegals take advantage of them.

Given these facts, refuting my assertion would require proving one of two contentions: (1) the $312.83 billion shortfall is compensated by some benefit provided by the poor; or (2) the poor have some independent moral claim on this money. You're welcome to do either of those things.

As a side note, I'd like to point out the humor of someone trying to discredit a post of mine by bringing up a prior statement out of context when that someone is using a GIMMICK ACCOUNT.

jokerthief
09-02-2005, 09:30 PM
http://koti.mbnet.fi/~latuman/forum/shut_up.jpg

Lestat
09-02-2005, 09:42 PM
Some of us don't have a political agenda. I for one, am simply pondering a terrible tragedy I've beein watching unfold for the last 4 days and wondering what went wrong.

leehrat
09-02-2005, 09:45 PM
what did you expect given the number of lib college "students" on the board lol

09-02-2005, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In an effort to make my post less personally offensive, I omitted the fact that quite a few of you are unable to comprehend the meaning of written material, construct coherent arguments, or think. You, Mr. Gimmick Account, are among those people, as you showcase in this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Touchy, touchy.

First, let me start by expressing my amusement at your posting about my ability "to comprehend the meaning of written material, construct coherent arguments, or think" in a thread you started to complain that people were posting without being "particularly familiar with any of the facts involved".

Second, I assure you that this is not a "Gimmick Account". This is my permanent 2+2 account. What was that about being "particularly familiar with any of the facts involved", again?

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who's read this forum lately will be well aware that you have led the charge in terms of using this disaster to advance a political agenda. Unless you have some inside source the rest of us are not privy to, it's hard to imagine that you have sufficient factual knowledge to support the hypothesis that "Republicans apparently can't govern."

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, thanks for the laugh. Speaking of an inability "to comprehend the meaning of written material", please go to your dictionary or click here (http://www.dictionary.com) and look up "hypothesis" and "apparently", as well as, for that matter, "opinion", and get back to us.

bobman0330
09-02-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First, let me start by expressing my amusement at your posting about my ability "to comprehend the meaning of written material, construct coherent arguments, or think" in a thread you started to complain that people were posting without being "particularly familiar with any of the facts involved".

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, I give up... what the hell are you talking about?

[ QUOTE ]
Again, thanks for the laugh. Speaking of an inability "to comprehend the meaning of written material", please go to your dictionary or click here and look up "hypothesis" and "apparently", as well as, for that matter, "opinion", and get back to us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point. I guess it was more of a thesis than a hypothesis. In the spirit of hypertechnicality though, it's grammatically incorrect to use "apparently" there. I'd give you the link, but you already have it...

Sorry about mistaking you for a gimmick account.