PDA

View Full Version : Which ones are donks?

ChuckyB
09-02-2005, 06:58 PM
I play PP 11s, thus I play with 9 new people every time. I try to get a read on other players and I can kind of get 2, but if those 2 aren't in the final 4 I'm pooched.

When I'm playing a totally new group of players, should I focus on just a couple of players (ie. the two to my left, or the ones on my immediate left and right?). Or how did you handle it early on?

bones
09-02-2005, 07:01 PM
This isn't live, so you don't have to worry about getting physical tells on everyone at the table. Just watch how they play their hands and what they show down. You should be able to get a pretty good feel for everyone if you're single-tabling.

jwesty5
09-02-2005, 07:05 PM
At the 11's I think you're worrying to much about the other players. Just concentrate on playing your 'A' game every time. I assume everyone is a donk at the table until proven otherwise.

09-02-2005, 07:05 PM
If I were to give any advice, it would be to watch the players who have a big stack early. They've probably shown a few hands down, so you can get an idea of how they play which hands. And they are more likely to be in the later rounds of the tourney.

09-02-2005, 07:55 PM
great response costanza, and good question, I was wondering this myself, as I will be soon multi'ing these fishfests

bruin
09-02-2005, 08:03 PM
In the early rounds, you should be playing ABC poker so just assume everyone is a donk until proven otherwise, since you won't be getting your money in without premium hands anyway.

As the blinds progress and players bust out, it's not too hard to tell the fish from the sharks...

ChuckyB
09-02-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In the early rounds, you should be playing ABC poker so just assume everyone is a donk until proven otherwise,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about this. I find I have to give people a little bit of credit until proven otherwise.

Last night at t10/15 I raised AKs UTG to 55. UTG+1 pushed for 610. I probably had a better hand...but I had to lay it down and keep my 715.

Of course since he probably had AA and he blew his load all over the table and won just 80 chips...maybe it's too much credit. Even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while.

Seth Money
09-02-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In the early rounds, you should be playing ABC poker so just assume everyone is a donk until proven otherwise,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about this. I find I have to give people a little bit of credit until proven otherwise.

Last night at t10/15 I raised AKs UTG to 55. UTG+1 pushed for 610. I probably had a better hand...but I had to lay it down and keep my 715.

Of course since he probably had AA and he blew his load all over the table and won just 80 chips...maybe it's too much credit. Even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are donks of every shape and size dude. I just played one the 2nd hand guy pushed all in with 27o and got caught with AA and 99 calling. And actually as I type this a guy pushed in with 82 offsuite when I got KK 3rd hand. 88x flop Booooooooooooo donks. but i love ya cause u pay my bills

Don't give guys to much credit if you do you will be the short stack seven handed /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seth

09-02-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Giving them credit for 22+ is one thing, giving them credit for KK+ is another. Early in an SnG, you fold the AK because they've probably got at least 22, not because they're representing AA.

I find that just keeping track of every called all in gets you a lot of information. Also, I have a special note for players who still have 800 chips after 5 or so hands (or players who have only played the blinds that passed them, but that's easy to miss).

ChuckyB
09-02-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Early in an SnG, you fold the AK because they've probably got at least 22, not because they're representing AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm totally with you. It just makes me feel better, upon reflection, to "believe" he had AA and is a complete moron.

Maybe I am giving people too much credit. I've seen some horrific things at the 11s. And I thought they'd be better than the 6s. Turns out, they just have more money.

outofstep
09-03-2005, 03:32 AM
"Are they the ones with 9 inch dongs?" - Ali G

09-03-2005, 03:39 AM
Make notes of how people double up early. If he had a premium hand, it dosent tell you alot, but if he had trash and called a raise in EP with it, then label him as moron /images/graemlins/smile.gif. this is very important in later rounds when they are limping alot, you can push over them with the knowledge that they usually have trash.