PDA

View Full Version : newbie stud high hand 3'rd & 4'th street principles applied

jt1
09-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Didn't want to build pot on 3'rd and thought my hand was best on 4th.

7 Card Stud High ($0.50/$1), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $0.25 (hand converter (http://www.geocities.com/greenage22/7StudConverter.hta.txt))

3rd Street - (3.50 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Hero: A/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif___brings-in
Seat 5: xx xx 6/images/graemlins/club.gif___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Seat 8: xx xx T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls

4th Street - (5.00 SB)

Hero: A/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls
Seat 8: xx xx T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls

5th Street - (4.00 BB)

Hero: A/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls
Seat 8: xx xx T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls

6th Street - (7.00 BB)

Hero: A/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls
Seat 8: xx xx T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls

River - (10.00 BB)

Hero: A/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif xx___folds
Seat 8: xx xx T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif xx___folds

Total pot: 10.00 BB

peritonlogon
09-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Seems pretty good to me. It seems like an act of GOD that only 3 people saw 4th in party's .5/1.

blumpkin22
09-02-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems like an act of GOD that only 3 people saw 4th in party's .5/1.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how he knew he would catch the Ace on fifth street.

09-02-2005, 07:54 PM
I don't see the need to bet on 4th - you need to catch a pair on fifth to continue, and if you are ahead it isn't by far - with ace high, there's no need to increase the pot size. I would check and call a small bet here, although some here would probably say that was too loose.

The rest of the hand seems right to me

SA125
09-02-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't want to build pot on 3'rd and thought my hand was best on 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't want to sound harsh but you played the hand very weakly, caught nice, and that made it easy for you. If you're going to play A high there on 3rd you need to complete and hope to get the bring in out, represent a big hand and get it h/u. It's not because you have the best hand, it's because you'd rather play h/u than 3 way and the extra money in the pot to get there is more than worth it.

Very basic. Be willing to gamble more and be more aggressive.

kschellenger
09-03-2005, 01:19 AM
a complete on 3rd is good because you know BI and seat 8 are going to call and you must have them beat with a simple ace high. And if you complete you represent a pair and that allows your lead bet on 4th to continue to represent that. But simply calling doesn't give the impression that you have a pair of kings. Then, when you bet on the 8 on 4th it may seem you're simply betting your board.

While completing will not win you the pot outright, it may serve to win you the pot on 4th or (more likely) 5th street, even if you don't catch.

Andy B
09-03-2005, 02:35 PM
I play it the same.