PDA

View Full Version : let's not get too involved...u check,good, wait u call'd..hmm....

jt1
09-02-2005, 05:49 PM
150/300

your basic solid trying to avoid mistakes player, Olwen5 <font color="green">3070 </font>
hero <font color="green">3000 </font>
khemologist <font color="green">1930 </font>
Basic Solid Olwen5 posts small blind (75)
Hero posts big blind (150)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero[ 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]
khemologist folds.
Olwen5 raises (225) to 300
hero calls (150)
<font color="green">600 </font> [ 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif, J /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
Olwen5 bets (500)
hero calls (500)
<font color="green">2200 </font> [ Kh ]
Olwen5 checks.
hero bets (600)
Olwen5 calls (600)
<font color="green">3400 </font> [ 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ]
Olwen5 checks.
hero checks.

yid3655
09-02-2005, 08:25 PM
After his check on the river I would be putting out a very small bet giving him big pot odds to call you. The 7 is very unlikely to have helped him.

adanthar
09-02-2005, 08:39 PM
You think he has 2 pair and checked the turn and/or river?

...why?

jt1
09-02-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You think he has 2 pair and checked the turn and/or river?

...why?

[/ QUOTE ]

His actions didn't add up. He bet big on the flop and then checked the turn and then just called my rather weak bet. He was either drawing or hit big and I didn't see the point of betting. Now that I think of it, he could have played a pp like this. A pp, a draw or a monster are the only things that make sense to me. I admit that monster is less likely than pp since that's a monster played poorly but if he hit it on the river than that would make more sense and that is what i was thinking

Anyone the play the flop differently?

microbet
09-02-2005, 09:00 PM
I think I've noticed you calling people solid or something before. Olwen looks weak-passive too me. As others mentioned it's pretty unlikely you are beat on the river, so bet. If he has a pair, he'll call for sure.

I think there are better lines for you to take. I think either more aggression or folding.

Possible lines depending on what you have seen from him:

Raise preflop. If he calls and checks, you bet.

Play as you did, but push the turn.

Fold on the flop.

Any comments on these lines? Anyone?

09-02-2005, 09:13 PM
I think you have to bet the river there. He's playing this very much like he's got a PP or he raised with junk preflop and caught a small piece of the flop. I see no reason to give him credit for a big hand as he would've raised the turn or lead the river. I think it's generally pretty safe to assume that a player won't check a hand that beats top pair on the river unless you've seen them do it before. You have top pair beat, and there's a wide range of hands that he'll call a suspicious small bet with.

jt1
09-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Now that I think about it once again, I see that the flop bet really wasn't big. I got fooled because it's about pot size but it was really just a c-bet and should have been played like one. I was thinking that a min raise would probably be accompanied by a min bet on the flop if he didn't hit. So I suspected that he did hit, but wanted to make sure so I called to see what he'd do on the turn. I was afraid that raising would leave me pot committed to call a re-raise all-in wiht 2 cards remaining. But now that I do the math, I see that a 700 chip raise to 1200 would have left me with 1500 and a subsequent all-in by villian would have only forced me to consider a 3.4 pot lay when my odds are closer to 5-1. In other words, I could have raised to 1200 and folded to an all-in re-raise.