PDA

View Full Version : I coldcall preflop and hit.

C-Dog
09-02-2005, 05:42 PM
I dont cold call PF very often, I think this is the only time in like 2 months.

BB is new to table, but seems aggressive
SB is horrible, and mostly irrelevant in this hand
Original PFR is a 48/3/.5 over 250 hands, so I was leery of his raise, and cold called anyway...

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP (poster) raises</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (12 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (16 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 22 BB

jason_t
09-02-2005, 05:44 PM
With those numbers I fold preflop first to act after the pfr.

afk
09-02-2005, 06:07 PM
What hands do you put the original preflop raiser on? I can't imagine you're in good shape, assuming the 3% number is accurate.

w_alloy
09-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Assuming the converter is right (i know it messes up posting soetimes) isnt it likely his raising range is much bigger since he's posting? I like the cold call.

stigmata
09-02-2005, 06:37 PM
If you haven't cold called in 2 months, you probably aren't cold calling enough. You often have implied odds with pocket pairs if there are several people in the pot.

C-Dog
09-02-2005, 07:48 PM
I wasnt really sure what hands he could have, I figured anything 99+, and I knew that two other people would come along. In addition, the people at the table were paying off with Middle/Bottom Pair every street, so if I hit, I figured to get paid.

As for coldcalling, how many players should be in with small pairs for you to call a raise? I have been trying to get my vpip up, but everytime I play I finish the session with a number between 17 and 21. I just dont understand how people get up to 25-30...

Transference
09-02-2005, 07:52 PM
Posters raise with junk, they are poor players, and you have a big hand. Why not just 3bet preflop?

edit:
[ QUOTE ]
Original PFR is a 48/3/.5 over 250 hands, so I was leery of his raise, and cold called anyway...

[/ QUOTE ]

I glazed over this somehow, im still inclinded to 3bet though.

stinkypete
09-02-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What hands do you put the original preflop raiser on? I can't imagine you're in good shape, assuming the 3% number is accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

it helps to have a read though. those stats are terrible, and terrible players often raise with random stupid hands and only limp with their monsters (TT and up, AK, etc).

if he was something like 20/3 with decent postflop aggression, i'd fold it in a second, but i think it's close with this guy with no other read.

einbert
09-02-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There aren't enough straights and flushes in the world to justify calling the blind with KQs, let alone putting in multiple bets before the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
-Stellarwind

Of course the big thing that matters here is the original raiser's range. Against a LAG opening from the CO i'll three-bet KQs from the BTN every single time. But this guy has a 3% preflop raise over 250 hands. I don't care how bad he is postflop, you're still gonna lose money playing this hand against a dominating hand the majority of the time.