PDA

View Full Version : Broadway vs. possible straight, possible flush

blumpkin22
09-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Say you started with (JJ)T and your opponent (xx)7c. On third you complete and he calls after limping in. Then on fourth you catch (JJ)TQ and opponent (xx)7c9c; you bet, he calls. On fifth you have (JJ)TQ3 and opponent (xx)7c9c8h; you bet, he calls. On sixth the boards are (JJ)TQ3K and (xx)7c9c8hTd. You check, he bets, you call. You catch (JJ)TQ3K(A) on the river. What's your line?

(a) Bet, call a raise.
(b) Bet/3-bet.
(c) Check/raise, call a 3-bet.
(d) Check/raise/cap.

peritonlogon
09-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Usually B, maybe A if the only 2 clubs you saw were in his hand. Your most likely going to run into a guy with 3 clubs a 10 high str8 and maybe a duplicate 8. And if he raises when you bet he'll often just think his str8 is good.

09-02-2005, 07:43 PM
My feeling is towards A. Bet and call if he raises. I don;t think it is wise to reraise becasue he knows that you can see that he has a possible straight adn are beetting into it, so if he were to raise you, he likely has a flush.

I'm also thinking that i might bet on 6th. I prefer not to give him a free card in case he is flushing, plys you have your own outs in case he does raise you then.

09-02-2005, 08:11 PM
I think I like option c here. You might miss a bet if he has two medium pairs, but he's unlikely to check with the straight, which is the most likely hand. The chance of being reraised is small enough to justify trying to get two bets in. I think that, given his board, he would have to be a donk or very aggressive to reraise without the flush, so capping seems too much.

blumpkin22
09-02-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm also thinking that i might bet on 6th. I prefer not to give him a free card in case he is flushing, plys you have your own outs in case he does raise you then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether to bet on sixth is interesting. The argument for checking is that your opponent will likely bet with his 4-straight board whether or not he has the straight. So the probability that he will take a free card is low, and when he does take it, you know for sure he doesn't have a made straight, and you can check/call on the river if you make something like two pair, or bet if you make the higher straight. On the other hand, if you bet, he will surely raise with the straight, or he will raise on a semibluff, or he might just call (I think we can safely assume he will never fold). It's not so bad calling the raise on sixth, but what do you do on the river UI?

jon_1van
09-02-2005, 10:25 PM
b or c depending on opponent.

I really don't like d

kschellenger
09-03-2005, 01:12 AM
A.
he's likely to reraise with a straight, which you beat, or a flush, which you don't beat. and presumably, he's equally likely to have each one. But since he's also likely to check two medium pairs you must get the bet in on the river.

blumpkin22
09-03-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
presumably, he's equally likely to have each one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, what?

kschellenger
09-03-2005, 01:29 AM
since we have no knowledge of the exposed cards or suits there are 9 clubs available and he must hold two of them to have a flush. For a straight he must hold TJ, T6, or 65. One ten and 2 jacks are expose. It's too late for me to go through the combinations. But it's nearly the same probability that he has 2 clubs as he has TJ, T6 or 65.

blumpkin22
09-03-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
since we have no knowledge of the exposed cards or suits there are 9 clubs available and he must hold two of them to have a flush. For a straight he must hold TJ, T6, or 65. One ten and 2 jacks are expose. It's too late for me to go through the combinations. But it's nearly the same probability that he has 2 clubs as he has TJ, T6 or 65.

[/ QUOTE ]

He needs two clubs in the hole and a club on the river for a flush. He needs a lone J or 6 down for a straight.

Andy B
09-03-2005, 11:14 AM
(c)

BTirish
09-03-2005, 01:57 PM
I would opt toward c. Do you have two or more of any suit on board? I would think this would affect whether he is willing to 3-bet your checkraise.