PDA

View Full Version : Pointless Rant (no content)

09-02-2005, 05:21 PM
Party 25 nl 6-max.

Folds to me..I got KK in the CO, with $30, bump it to $1, SB re-pops to $3 (he had $20 to start the hand). I just push all-in content with stealing $3. He thinks about 10 seconds then calls. Flips 88, flop comes 866. YAY.

Me in the chat box: "NOOOOO....jesus.." Due to the fact that the last 3 all-in pots I've played I've lost and was going in a large favorite.
Him: "YESSS!! SORRY..."

I'm down to $10 (didn't top off yet) a few hands later. Previous donk makes it $2 to go, next guy calls, I push for $10. Donk folds, other guy calls the additional $8 instantly. He flips QJs and rivers a J. I then call him an idiot and he says:

"Of course I'm gonna call.. it's a coinflip" First of all how the F does he know I have a lower pocket pair? And secondly, TT vs. QJ is hardly a coinflip I told him. It's like 56%-44% Which means I will win over 25% more often than him. Thanks, WPT.

His reply: "I had two overs dude". Me: "Did you KNOW you had two overs??!?!" I reminded him that AJ, KJ, AQ, KQ, AA, KK, QQ, JJ all dominate him hardcore, and that TT is still well-ahead. Pot odds probably allow him to call here, if he KNOWS I have a lower PP, but he never mentioned pot odds. He mentioned "PP odds" or (party poker odds).

He said "The overcards always hit on Party Poker".

Wow. QJ is a coinflip to TT... "Party poker odds"... I'm.. inspired.

The first guy that sucked out on me with 88 vs. KK was chiming in here calling it a "good call". He claimed that he normally plays 200NL and that he was playing 25nl b/c he was also playing a tourney..

I reminded him that nobody who normally plays 200nl who doubles up for $20 yells "YESSS. SORRY" in the text box. These pots are typical at 200nl. He had no quality retort for this just "Dude, it's still $20...man"

Another clever reply of his: "Even if you min-raised me the result would ahve been the same cuz i would have hit it on the flop. I would have gotten all your money."

Uhhh, yes... but did I minraise you?? you Effing donk.

Mr. Curious
09-02-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"The overcards always hit on Party Poker".

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have known this and folded preflop.

Also, never play AA or KK against a donk because they will take all of the short term money and leave you a whiny bitch because you are too arrogant to realize that you made a huge chunk of long term money on the hand.

09-02-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, never play AA or KK against a donk because they will take all of the short term money and leave you a whiny bitch because you are too arrogant to realize that you made a huge chunk of long term money on the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, I'm assuming you are intending to have this comment contradict itself. I am glad he called. Don't get me wrong. I just hate listening to their (lack of) reasoning.

09-02-2005, 05:49 PM
his post doesnt contradict itself. TOP states that even if you lose that hand, you win in the longterm. definitely higher-level poker thinking, but within the realm of that conversation, definitely not contradictory.

unless Im misreading what you meant by contradiction

Stickmn24
09-02-2005, 05:53 PM
It's happened to all of us... just remember the times that you made a bad move and got lucky. Since I don't make bad moves, I don't have anything to remember... except for that one time I hit my runner-runner flush against top set. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Btw, it's more like 53% to 47%... not that it matters now.

09-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Saying never push AA or KK because it will make you long-term profits isn't necessarily contradictory, but it's sarcastic, and it does contradict the TOP.

09-02-2005, 05:56 PM
It's not 53/47. It wasn't that close. It was 56.something.

yvesaint
09-02-2005, 05:56 PM
I just turn off chat because I realized that when they explain their reasoning for doing that kind of stuff, it puts me more on tilt than the fact that they did it in the first place.

09-02-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, I'm assuming you are intending to have this comment contradict itself. I am glad he called. Don't get me wrong. I just hate listening to their (lack of) reasoning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meanwhile, you educated everybody at the table. Table coaching is verboten. Sounding smart in the chatbox is verboten. Calling names in the chatbox is verboten. All of this is -EV that does nothing but allow you to blow off steam and educate the fishies.

Try to avoid it. I am imperfect at keeping my mouth shut (I am a lawyer, after all /images/graemlins/wink.gif), and have been known to do the same thing, but, really, it is a serious leak if you do it with any regularity.

The better strategy is to sound like a fish or keep your mouth shut. When I am under control, I blame bad beats on the various online poker conspiracies (usually I say that PP is punishing me for not having reloaded in a while. This makes me look silly [which I think is generally +EV] while also changing the subject most of the time).

Anyway, talking serious poker in the chatbox only serves to educate the other players. Verboten.

The next time this happens to you, chat: "How did I lose that hand? I thought kings were better than eights (or whatever)." /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ghazban
09-02-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just turn off chat because I realized that when they explain their reasoning for doing that kind of stuff, it puts me more on tilt than the fact that they did it in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think having the chat off is -EV. Players give away a lot about their skill level in the chat and, if you deprive yourself that, you're depriving yourself information. Of course, seeing the chat and tilting madly might be even more -EV.....

09-02-2005, 06:18 PM
no! the chat box is definitely +EV! I LOVE that thing. Maybe three weeks ago I was playing at a table with this guy who considered himself some sort of an expert. He was actually pretty average for $50 NL. I had KJs on the button, all fold to the cutoff, who was HORRIBLE weak tight. CO minraises, I reraise, blinds fold, CO types "damn queens," and folds preflop. I type, "Jesus, nice fold, you effing psychic," and he says "rockets, huh?) and I say yeah.

Table coach chimes in and says I didn't have rockets and tells me that if I did, I horribly misplayed the hand because I want to flat call there and get action. So I engage him in this discussion, asking ridiculously ignorant sounding questions and "golly-gee-ing" to how much this schlep seems to know about poker. Meanwhile, I stack table coach twice during this discussion in which he was explaining that, yes, a flush does beat a straight, and everybody has all of a sudden decided that the idiot over there (yours truly) knows nothing and TPNK is reraising my set and such like. I figure I made almost $200 that night off the chatbox, and there are many smaller wins I attribute to it.

LOVE YOUR CHATBOX!

09-02-2005, 06:22 PM
that's awesome. i'm gonna have to try that.

EDIT: I do stupid stuff like tell the table what cards a player has (only if I'm uni-tabling). At that table the turn was something like 893Q with the 8 and 9 of spades. 3 people were in the pot, one guy bet $3 on the turn, 1 caller, then this guy (who sucked out me with the 88 vs. my KK) minraised to $6 (instantly I type: He's got TJ spades). Both players call. River is another spade and he fires out $10 into the $15 pot at which point I say (not anymore, nevermind). One guy folds, one guy calls. Dude flips over ThJs. I type in: "Oh, I was wrong" lol. The table got quiet and one guy left shortly after.

This is in addition to me bluffing out 3 players on the river with 68 on a board of nothing but overcards. I sensed weakness in all of them and..(because I open-raised PF, I fired out a 2/3 pot sized bet on the river and all folded). I showed and they were like "Yeah, whatever.. big deal, it was likea $5 pot.." I said it was a "20 bb pot and it was an easy bluff". Oh, I also threw in: "Yes I open-raised with 68s, and yes I just bluffed all three of you out of the pot". /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The combo of these two events is what led to my table breaking up shortly after.

Bukem_
09-02-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The combo of these two events is what led to my table breaking up shortly after.

[/ QUOTE ]

You had a table of fish, and you mangaged to convince them that they were outclassed and making many mistakes vs your expert play.

Well done.

09-02-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You had a table of fish, and you mangaged to convince them that they were outclassed and making many mistakes vs your expert play.
Well done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think his point was that he had been misusing the chatbox.

My favorite chatbox story:

I was CO with A7spades. Don't remember the action, only that I folded after the flop. Very next hand I am on the button and I get A7spades again. as the preflop betting is going, I chat, "I just got the exact same two cards as last hand." I raise, 2 callers. Flop comes A /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif x /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Wiseguy to my right, one of the callers, chats, "which two? /images/graemlins/wink.gif" 1st to act bets pot, wiseguy calls, I call. I chat, "lol, tell you in a minute." Turn comes x /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I type, A7spades. 1st to act goes into the tank, then pushes all in.

LOVE YOUR CHATBOX.

09-02-2005, 07:50 PM
the only time that I actually "chatted like an expert" was for a final table at a MTT. I did it just for table image, as I could tell he wouldnt profit from the knowledge... I swear, I'll never understand people checking the auto-muck, and turning off chat. I guess, as a previous poster said, if chatbox tilts you, then not...

but image is as much a part of your game as the numbers... I know Im preaching to the choir

"play the players, not the game"