PDA

View Full Version : Bet or Check this river?

blackaces13
09-02-2005, 04:19 PM
This is my 2nd hand at the table.

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop : Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
3 folds, MP2 calls, 2 folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Open limping from MP2 is nearly always a sign of a poor player.

Flop: (3 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="red"> MP2 bets, Hero raises </font> , BB folds, MP2 calls.

Top pair (reasonable kicker given the preflop action). You can either bet or check-raise this flop. If my top pair is lower I will normally bet but in this case I decided to try for the check-raise.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="red"> Hero bets </font> , MP2 calls.

Obviously I lead to see how he responds.

River: (5.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>

Should I check or bet?

sy_or_bust
09-02-2005, 04:29 PM
MP2 open-limped. I'm not especially worried about a better queen here. I bet, because there's obvious value and the action so far paints MP2 as pretty passive.

mack848
09-02-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
MP2 open-limped. I'm not especially worried about a better queen here. I bet, because there's obvious value and the action so far paints MP2 as pretty passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but do you fold to a raise?

W. Deranged
09-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Unless this is a really tricky player, I don't see much reason to not bet the river once he just called your turn bet.

He'll have an equal/worse Q here or a pocket pair pretty often. Hands like 88 will pretty much always call the river if they called the turn. You shouldn't be too worried about a big Q since KQ and AQ likely raise pre-flop. I'll take my chances against QJ (though this is one of the hands you'll see pretty often).

At 30/60, I would probably say be wary of folding to a raise here since that'd be a pretty cool play for villain to make with pretty much any hand he'd call with. I don't play 30/60 online so I'm not sure.

By the by, how awesome is it that online 30/60 is being posted in SS?

blackaces13
09-02-2005, 04:51 PM
Oh damn me. I posted this 30/60 hand to see if it should be played differently at 2/4 or lower. Shyte. Pretend this is 2/4. I'm a retard.

blackaces13
09-02-2005, 04:53 PM
I want to know how this hand shoudl be handled at 2/4, that's the whole reason I posted it. Then I forgot to change the damn hand. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

W. Deranged
09-02-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh damn me. I posted this 30/60 hand to see if it should be played differently at 2/4 or lower. Shyte. Pretend this is 2/4. I'm a retard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brocktoon.

Easy.

Bet the river and fold to a raise. Only difference.

09-02-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brocktoon.

Easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the terribleness of 2/4 I am not folding to a raise at that level. At 30/60 I would probably have some sort of read on the opponent, but against an unknown I'm calling for one more bet and then taking notes on what he shows

blackaces13
09-02-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think the river is raised with a worse hand than mine more at 2/4 than 30/60?

tiltaholic
09-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Pardon the dumb question, but since villain limped in from MP2 - why don't we raise preflop with QTo? Is completing standard due to the relative weakness of QTo? Is it because we don't want to bloat the pot and be OOP? Is it because we are confident in our ability to get more money in later with an edge in playing ability (should we get a good flop?)

W. Deranged
09-02-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think the river is raised with a worse hand than mine more at 2/4 than 30/60?

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought is that at that level most players aren't capable of raising the river with a worse hand, and those that are are extremely obvious maniac.

So I'm more inclined to call the raise at 30/60 than at 2/4.

Dagger78
09-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Bet fold to a raise.