PDA

View Full Version : Auto Focus Binoculars for Bird Watching

01-08-2002, 09:26 PM
I've never tried auto-focus binoculars, are they worth the hefty price? [I'm new to bird watching, and my brother's pocket-size binoculars just ain't cuttin' it.]

Also, what would you consider the best magnification for bird watching(in estuaries, deserts, mountains, savanna grasslands)? I've looked at a few sites that sell binoculars, and it seems like 10x50 is the maximum strength for sale. Is that overkill, or a pretty common mag. for bird watching?

Thanks

01-08-2002, 10:09 PM
Might want to check out Audobon Magazine.

01-09-2002, 01:26 AM
auto focus is no good. it comprimises intermediate distances. get a good 8x40 and it will serve you well. 10x50 is better for smaller stuff far away but unless you have a rest you will find your hand shakes enough to make it a tiny bit blurry.

plus get too big and you will never have them with you when you need them so a size that you will carry works. i like 8x30 as it fits in my pocket and they are there. but when im going somewhere i know i will be watching and not moving alot i take my spotting scope, and thats the ticket. baush and lomb discoverer with a bogden tripod. i would rather put the extra dough into that and tripod. most avid birders use zeiss 10x50 and lug them around. 1000 bucks.

01-09-2002, 01:09 PM
Is a spotting scope a high-powered monocular?

01-09-2002, 09:45 PM
yes and you can get good ones that are variable power between about 15X AND 60X. this way you can find the subject and then bring it in. you need a tripod to steady it.