PDA

View Full Version : A Plea for Help (5 Folds)

Moozh
09-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Yesterday my 'downswing' officially hit 300 big bets. It sucks and all that, but I'll be the first to say that we all know something like this can happen. In fact, I really want to thank 2+2 for preparing me for it.

That said, I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong (and I know I'm doing a lot wrong). So, I'm asking you guys to just look over these five sample hands from yesterday's session and just point out anything that stands out at you. I know multiple hand posts suck, so I'm not expecting anything beyond a comment or two for each hand (if you are gracious enough to take the time to look them over). I'm hoping I can identify some simple recurring problems that I might be able to focus on in more detail in the future. Thanks.

<font color="green">Hand 1</font>

The more I think about it the less I like the flop bet (although I remember thinking about it at the time).

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP calls, Button calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, MP calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

<font color="green">Hand 2</font>

Villian is 57/33/1.7 after 30 hands with most of his aggression happening on the flop. Should I be 3-betting the flop here?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5.66 BB

<font color="green">Hand 3</font>

Villian is 30/18 after 100 hands.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 4 BB

<font color="green">Hand 4</font>

Raise the flop? Call? Fold? Villian is 47/16/1.5 after 37 hands.

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

<font color="green">Hand 5</font>

I know I had good odds on the flop, but out of position and unsure any of my outs were clean, I didn't see how I'd be able to play it profitably. Villian is 25/9 after 70 hands.

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.33 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5.66 BB

DMBFan23
09-02-2005, 03:11 PM
2,3, and 5 I play the same.

4 I usually like just calling the flop closing the action. it's a dubious raise for value and we don't want to make a bad turn or river fold if he is pumping some big draw.

in hand 1 I play the same, but I seperated this because it's interesting, 1 less player and I'm tempted to c/r the turn as he may be firing with a draw again, ala Clarkmeister's AK unimproved hand from a while back. but when he bets into 3 other players, that's my personal cutoff line for giving him credit, especially with players left to act.

me454555
09-02-2005, 04:16 PM
Hand 1 is fine
Hand 2 is fine
Hand 3 - I might call on the flop depending on the player. If I knew a TAG was otb, I'd be 3betting out of the smallblind w/hands like KT. Calling here might be ok for metagame purposes as well
Hand 4 - Call the flop. You can't elminate utg w/a raise and your too likely to be behind.
Hand 5 - I think I call this closing the action given 2 overcards plus bd draw

baronzeus
09-02-2005, 04:19 PM
I hate your fold in hand 4. 9.5:1 against a LAG with MPGK. I'd prolly show it down UI too. He'll have JT or QJ or QT or /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif often enough.

Moozh
09-02-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate your fold in hand 4. 9.5:1 against a LAG with MPGK. I'd prolly show it down UI too. He'll have JT or QJ or QT or /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif often enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was getting a good price to continue on that turn. I can see a call there. I'm not convinced about calling the river unimproved though. You really think a 16% PFR 3-bets a Q-high hand from the SB after a limper and a raise (also consider the fact that there are only 3 queens left for him to have)?

Smarty
09-02-2005, 07:00 PM
They all look pretty standard to me, but I think I peel one off in the last hand especially with so much in the pot (because of preflop action) and you having two overs and some backdoor draws.