PDA

View Full Version : KK in MP: anyone raise here?

elysium
04-19-2003, 04:07 AM
10-20 live; loose/ average

UTG pretty solid limps in, gets one caller, and i find KK in MP and raise, folded to the UTG who reraises, call, call.

flop comes Q73r; UTG bets, call, and i raise. UTG reraises, fold, call.

turn; 7 completeing the rainbow. UTG bets, call

river;2 UTG bets, call

should i have raised the turn or river? what about the flop? after the hand was over, i thought i played it kinda weak, but this was a pretty solid player, and when he raised, he always showed down a bona fide raising hand; but i'm not real comfortable with the way i played it. and the reason i played it so weak was that i put him on AA, and every bone in this opponents body reeked AA start to finish. but how far do we take a particular read, and did i take this read too far by playing so meekly? fire at will.

hot tub man # 1
04-19-2003, 01:02 PM
You played it just like I would have played it. Agaist any sort of typical player, I probably would have smooth called the flop and raised the turn.

However, here you said the preflop raiser was only raising solid hands, and he was UTG, and he capped with two oppenents in the pot. Taking all this into consideration, and also knowing that it didnt bother him one bit that a good player 3 bet him before the flop, and raised him on the flop, I would be a little afraid of AA, and maybe QQ, if hes one of those players who never slowplays a thing.

So looking at the hands he would cap with, say JJ QQ KK AA, AK and maybe AQ, you taking into consideration his play on the flop, and his disregard for the strength you showed before and on the flop, I think you just have to call the turn and river. Sounds like he stepped out of his shell and played AQ a little too fast here.

It sounds like you won, good hand.

Your Mom
04-19-2003, 02:22 PM
i can on;y echo what hot tub man said. Sounds like you won, but I wouldn't have gotten too aggresive after he caps preflop.

sizeup
04-19-2003, 05:16 PM
I would play it the same way. When "UTG pretty solid" limp-reraises you I'm thinking his most likely hands are AA (6 ways), KK (1 way), AKs (2 ways). And the AKs I would think is a little less likely. He might make this play with other hands, so I would not consider folding, but I think there's enough of a chance you're looking at AA to not raise the turn or river.

elysium
04-20-2003, 06:11 PM
hi everyone
i owe it to 2+2 here for keeping my loses low on this one. i called all the way with my cowboy over-pair. at another time, i may have even raised. and no tommy, this wasn't the hand you saved me the 40 bucks on.

Hat Trick
04-20-2003, 09:31 PM
SO, Iguess you were up against AA? or QQ? Anyway, I think you played it right given your read. If you had raised the turn and gotten re-raised, realized you were beat at that point and mucked it you would have been in the same ($$) position as if you called both bets and you would have NO chance of winning the pot. At least this way you get to the showdown and get more of a read on how your opponent plays, win or lose.

Diplomat
04-20-2003, 09:46 PM
Hey Hattrick,

I used to be a fan of the raise-the-turn-and-fold-to-a-re-raise trick on the turn, but I've recently given up against good and agressive players. With a poor or passive player I'll still do this, but only because I am very seldom three-bet in similar spots, even by QQ (they just chicken out often). AA or QQ in the hands of a good player often will three-bet here.

The problem with raising the turn is that if you are three-bet and fold, you cannot snap off a bluff, and you loose the chance (although a slim chance at that) of spiking a king on the river.

Same number of bets, but a slightly better EV I think than raising the turn.

I think you played it fine, E.

-Diplomat