PDA

View Full Version : Short stacked holding pocket 8s UTG in LHE tourney

SoCalPat
04-19-2003, 02:37 AM
Relatively new poster here, slightly more experienced player. In short, bear with me.

I'm in a LHE tournament in SoCal and catching very little. The bad news (aside from being short-stacked, less than T-2,500 with 800-1,600 blinds) is I've won but one pot by getting the table to fold. The good news is I've won all my showdowns -- all six of them in nearly four hours.

That's not enough in a 200-plus person tournament. That said, there's five tables left, all with 7-8 players. Top 27 spots pay.

Sooooo ... with barely enough to cover my impending blinds (and I know they'll be attacked), I look down to see 88 UTG. In the big blind is a friendly sort who knows I don't mess around when raising (my showdown hands won were KJ, AQ, AK, KK and QQ, and I raised pre-flop on the latter four). However, he's the second-biggest stack at the table. I know little about the small blind.

I raise, folded to the blinds, who call.

Flop comes 9-7-3 rainbow. Blinds check, and I stick the rest out.

I watch the rest of the hand, two more little cards come out, so there's a straight possibility out there, but the BB turns over J9o and I'm out.

Question: Given my circumstances, do you raise pre-flop, and do you check along post-flop? I figured given my pre-flop raise, I had to bet that board on the flop. But any other opinions would be much appreciated.

cferejohn
04-20-2003, 04:21 PM
With that size stack I raise pre-flop pretty much 100% of the time. Even if it doesn't buy you the pot, it may get rid of weaker Aces, and stuff like KJ or QT that you don't love taking this up against, especially multi-way.

I don't think there is anything else you could have done here. Well player. Better luck next time. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Mark Heide
04-20-2003, 11:07 PM
SoCalPat,

If the BB was $1600 and you only had $2500 you were all-in preflop, so how could you bet the flop?

Anyway, if you had more chips and both blinds checked on the flop I'd bet.

Good Luck

Mark