PDA

View Full Version : tricky QQ first hand of a $22

nath
09-02-2005, 01:59 PM
Can't get converter to work. It's OK though because it's first hand, 10-20, everybody has 1500. No info on any players.

UB $22 10-person.

UTG calls; two folds to me, and I make it 120 with QQ. three folds, button calls. Small blind reraises to 370. Big blind cold calls. UTG now goes all-in for 1500 total. Back to me. What do I do?

nyc999
09-02-2005, 02:16 PM
With one re-raise and no other callers, push. In this hand, I have to think someone has you beat and your hand loses value 4-ways. I fold.

durron597
09-02-2005, 02:22 PM
I would fold here.

Edit: KK I'm calling.

09-02-2005, 02:30 PM
Typically, I fold my QQ and watch KQo, Axs, and pocket 77 battle it out for their tounament life.

09-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Fold /images/graemlins/frown.gif. I messed around with pokerstove a little on this one, and in even the most optimistic situation (cold-caller folds and others have fairly loose ranges), you're only a slight favoite in a three-way pot with barely any added money. Drop out ridiculous optimism and you just found a situation where it's okay to fold QQ preflop in a small stakes SnG.

adanthar
09-02-2005, 03:58 PM
It's UB and they're horribly weak/tight there last I checked, so fold.

applejuicekid
09-02-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you're only a slight favoite in a three-way pot

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this an awesome situation to be in?

nath
09-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Ok, results:
I verbally lamented the situation for a while, and I ended up calling.
Everyone folded and UTG flipped over tens.
I fully expected to see UTG or the small blind show AA or KK, which is why I sweated the decision.
And why I asked.
I'm not sure if the actual hands are typical or if I should have gotten blown out by aces or kings and deserved it. At a higher level I might fold. $22s? Hard to say.

And for the record, with KK I call in a shot and don't think twice; with JJ I fold and don't think twice. Ah, queens.

09-02-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you're only a slight favoite in a three-way pot

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this an awesome situation to be in?

[/ QUOTE ]

By small favorite, I mean slightly more than 33%, not slightly more than 50%. Remember that exploiting marginal edges early in an SnG is -EV.

ReDeYES88
09-03-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, results:
I verbally lamented the situation for a while, and I ended up calling.
Everyone folded and UTG flipped over tens.
I fully expected to see UTG or the small blind show AA or KK, which is why I sweated the decision.
And why I asked.
I'm not sure if the actual hands are typical or if I should have gotten blown out by aces or kings and deserved it. At a higher level I might fold. $22s? Hard to say.

And for the record, with KK I call in a shot and don't think twice; with JJ I fold and don't think twice. Ah, queens.

[/ QUOTE ]

we are smart enuff and good enuff that we don't need to take these sort of risks early and can still finish ITM. ...especially with deep stacks. ...

Pudge714
09-03-2005, 12:41 AM
Fold you are thought process is result oriented generally the range of UTG is QQ-AA and SB is probably TT-AA and AK. If you folded and UTG flipped over AA instead of TT you wouldn't be sweating this decision at all.

nath
09-03-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold you are thought process is result oriented

[/ QUOTE ]

No; it was a very tough decision at the time and I wanted some feedback.
The results were frankly not what I expected, but I didn't know if I should expect to be dominated or if the $22s are loose enough that I might not run into aces or kings here.
I also considered the tremendous dead money in the pot; if the blinds don't have AA or KK, they can't overcall. That would leave 900 in dead chips which did affect my decision.
I thought it was a tricky hand and a situation worth debating, whereas any number of factors would have made it less ambiguous.