PDA

View Full Version : WHAT ARE YOUR STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES?

DireWolf
09-02-2005, 01:51 PM
I was thinking about my own leaks and strengths, and i thought it might be helpful to state what you think are the best and worst parts of your games. If you have suggestions to other posters those would be good too.

I'll start.

Strengths:
I think im a good hand reader.
I am very aggressive.
Im not afraid to act on my read.
It is very tough to win pots with medium strength hands against me.
I get good value out of my good hands.
I can think of good effective lines, that aren't always standard, but usually work.

Leaks:
sometimes i get overly aggressive.
If a villan plays a very strong hand in a very wierd way, i am liable to hang my self.
I openpush with too wide a range sometimes
I tilt sometimes, i would like to get rid of it.
My endurance isn't that great- at the end of 5-6 hour tournys, i think i make a decent amount of mistakes i wouldn't make in the beginning of the tourny.
I want to work on my reads, make them better.

So, if anyone else would like to post here that would be good.

EDIT: Another BIG leak is refusing to give credit to late position raisers.

Firefly
09-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Good post
Strengths:
I'm strong/agressive and can change gears pretty well.
I don't get distracted easily and follow play well.
I'm not afraid to mix my lines up when the situation warrants it.
Weaknesses:
I'm not a strong mathamatical player
Tilt too much
Call too liberally in Late position/blinds and don't play the flop as i should from there.
Overvalue pocket pairs.
My blind play/restealing sucks.

Jurollo
09-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Strengths:
-I am not afraid to make moves in conjunction with my reads
-I steal blinds goot!
-I am fairly good at disguising my hand strength

Weaknesses:
-I get married to hands too often (fixing that)
-I get impatient sometimes when I get mildly shortstacked
-I give Chief all my chips on stupid bluffs sometimes

There is a lot more in each category, but I dont feel like typing them now. Good thread though, self-analysis is a great way to become better.

~Justin

mts
09-02-2005, 02:00 PM
leaks:
i probably overvalue pocket pairs
i probably fold to reraises too much
i lose 75% of my coinflips

09-02-2005, 02:27 PM
I should mention here that I am talking mostly about NL tourneys as that is where the majority of my experience lies. In Limit Hold Em ring games, which I recently started playing, I seem to be having even more success, so I may just switch completely if my success rate continues to rise.

Strengths:
- When I first started playing Hold 'Em last summer, I played a lot of play money SNGs and was often short stacked because I was just learning how to play. I then decided to allow myself to get shorstacked so I could learn how to play that way, and it worked fairly well. I have learned to be extremely patient and have, more than once, because of this patience, come back from being last to winning the tourney.
- I am usually aggressive enough when it is called for, although I still have a lot to learn about when it is called for (I could be more aggressive and might be more successful, but that would take a lot away from my current style and would mean a big change in some places)
- I don't often get caught without the goods, but that may also be a weakness because I am not aggressive enough in some cases to steal enough blinds and such, more because I am, again, not paying attention to the table (as explained in the weakness section)
- I am very good at picking off overly aggressive players who don't know when to switch gears - I have a knack for making myself look weak and vulnerable, letting them steal my blinds, push me out of pots, etc, and snapping them off when I do get a big hand - in most cases like that, I will take them for a lot more than they have stolen over the past 5 orbits, and then they will tilt because they had no idea I was playing them. If they are lucky, though, which they often are at that point, they will go all in and have a hand and win with it, putting them back in a strong position, or will at least get everyone else folding as they move all-in preflop the next couple of hands
- I am pretty good at reading people, reading their cards, although I am better at it in live play
- I have some moves that work very well, and I am not afraid to act on my reads, especially against weaker players
- I am not ashamed to admit when I am outclassed, although I think that I believe it to be the case more often than it actually is, I would rather err on the side of caution and lose one or two small pots than risk my whole stack when I am uncertain
- I don't worry about creating a table image as much as I concern myself with determing what each individual player sees my image as being - in other words, I will play opposite to the image I think you see me as - if you see me as weak (as an overly aggressive player will when he constantly bullies me), you will fold to my bluff re-raise because you think I have a hand - if you think me strong, when I have the best hand, I will just call along when you are raising into the pot because you are doing me the favor of dumping all your chips into the pot
- I don't have to be tricky - I just have to know what YOU think I am, and play the opposite

Weaknesses:
- I am still in the small stake stages and often forget to bother paying attention to the game I am in, but more so because I have several poker books and I am trying to read them all while playing (I know - bad idea, which is why I have switched to playing play money over the last few days just to scratch the itch and read while I play, trying the stuff mentioned in the book, and it doesn't cost me anything except my time!)
- I am sometimes too eager to fold, mostly because I am not sure of my own read
- I let bullies push me around, but again, as mentioned above, that CAN be a strength, if the right situation arises - if it doesn't, I can lose a tourney because I can get blinded off at a table with a huge stack bully who pushes all in preflop every hand - you have to make a stand eventually, but since he can just keep doing it, win or lose, you have to pick your battleground carefully

illegit
09-02-2005, 02:29 PM
I was just thinking about my play in relation to my stack size last night: Great with deep stacks (early in tourney). great on a short stack. Good on big stack. Suck on a medium stack (with an M usually in the 9-12 range)

IHateKeithSmart
09-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Good
Math
Choosing stealing situations
Restealing

Bad
Playing a medium stack
Not making Hellmuthian laydowns (not letting go of hands)
Hand reading

Rduke55
09-02-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd blame someone other than yourself for this one. Maybe God, maybe Sklansky, who knows?
Have you tried a rabbit's foot, horseshoe, or lucky heads up penny?

Jurollo
09-02-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd blame someone other than yourself for this one. Maybe God, maybe Sklansky, who knows?
Have you tried a rabbit's foot, horseshoe, or lucky heads up penny?

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't God and Sklansky the same thing?
~Justin

dmoney
09-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Strengths.

- I am very agressive(smart aggressive) not random aggressive. I am good at reading people weak and getting them off hands.

- I am becoming good at reading peoples cards.

Weakness

- When i get tired i give up. Cant fight anymore.
- I try to steal to many blinds late in tournys.
- My ego WAS to big until last week when i decided to almost always fold to rereaises. Unless i have a monster. (this apparently was my biggest weakness.) the same day i started folding 2 reraises i made 2 final tables and finshied 2nd and 1st. before that closest i got was 10th. and i play alot of tournys and often get deep but do a Matasow blow up near the end /images/graemlins/smile.gif hahah lol.

09-02-2005, 03:33 PM
Strengths:

Very strong HU.
Calculating Odds.
Reading Hands.
I almost never tilt, and I can play for at least 5 hours in top condition given a good night's rest.
Most Importantly: The drive to become the best.

Weaknesses:

Not too fantastic playing LAG in a full table(when needed), but improving a lot playing HU recently.
Not too great at multi-tasking. I don't think I'll ever play over 3 tables at once.
It's almost completely out of my game now, but I have called before just to see if I was right or not. The confidence that I now have with my reads in many situations comes from these dead calls that I have probably spent about 1000 dollars on.
I noticed this recently, but I have a very hard time letting go of Kings =P.

09-02-2005, 03:36 PM
Strengths:

Very dicsiplined pre-flop play
Unpredictibality
Using position to advantage
sensing traps

Weaknesses:

Reading hands based on past observation (work in progress)

Betting after the flop (still totally lost)

and about 100 other things including heads up play, short table aggressiveness, getting married to hands, not being able to lay down top-pair, etc etc

Exitonly
09-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Strengths:

- I'm a math guy
- Get good value out of my hands
- Steal well.

Weaknesses:

- Have an ability to make a big stack go away in matter of minutes (been getting better at that)
- Sometimes i just stop caring, only to start caring right after i pissed away chips.
- Stubborn with some hands

chopchoi
09-02-2005, 03:57 PM
Strengths:

When I have a monster, I disguise it very well, and tend to get maximum value.

I am very patient and disciplined.

Once I get some chips, it is very difficult to take them from me.

Weaknesses:

I can't play well without a hand.

I'm not good at hand reading.

I often find myself getting blinded away waiting for a hand I consider playable.

allenciox
09-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Strengths:
1. I use Pokertracker religiously and know WHO I am playing against. I know not to bluff a calling station and to let a LAG player hang himself when I have a hand. I know who to steal from, and I know who to resteal from.

2. I am very good in short-stacked situations, either by me or my opponents. I get very aggressive, particularly good at browbeating opponents when I have a big stack.

3. I am good at switching gears, and love to take advantage of the weak-tight play on the bubble. I generally play to get to the final table, not to survive the bubble, unless I am VERY short-stacked. Early in a tourney, I play fairly tight, but if I haven't gotten any hands to play in awhile, I will play something weak (raise with it in CO or button), just to mix up my game. Otherwise, my big hands won't get paid off.

4. I know WHY the no-limit chapter in Super System is the best thing ever written about no-limit tournaments, although it has taken me a long time to get there. Ironically, it is one of the worst things you can read if your game is not already solid.

5. Partially as a result of that, I am good at slowing down in way ahead/way behind situations --- this is one of the biggest leaks I see from people in online play, e.g. playing their AA too fast after the flop.

6. I am good at representing hands. I will decide what hand I wish I had, making sure that it is consistent with any bids that I have already made, and then I will act consistently with that hand.

Weaknesses:

1. I am absolutely horrible at making laydowns when beat. If it were not that I know how to slow down when I am "likely" beat, this would be crippling.

2. I know not to bluff a calling station, but I still find myself doing it way too much, and then kicking myself.

3. I am very poor at making value bets on the river in late position, because I am afraid of the reraise, which because of 1) I may not be able to laydown. So I just check.

4. I cannot play two tourneys simultaneously and play a good game at both. The reason is that I am not very good at reading opponents' hands when my attention is split.

5. I look too much at tourney payouts and drool when I should be paying attention to my opponents ;-)

MLG
09-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Nice Post Idea

Strengths:
Realistic view of luck
Big Stack Monster
Aggresiveness
I don't tilt often

Leaks:
I put it in auto-pilot too much
I'm sometimes not patient enough with a middle stack
Occasional chip spewing
I read hands well, but I could be better.

09-02-2005, 06:35 PM
strengths:
get the most out of my strong hands
reading players
exploiting weekness

the bad:
i get caught up in hands and cant let go
give away my big stacks (become overly aggresive)
horrible tilt

KneeCo
09-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Strenghts:
- I would say I can make very strong reads on the flop and after, though not so much PF.
- Great bubble play.
- Never held back by the money involved.
- Huge upside (I'm still new, but I can feel myself getting better every MTT I play and I am (re)reading all the best books on the subject).
- Ability to change gears.
- Staying unpredictable.

Leaks:
- Lack of FT experience, so am uncomfortable when there.
- Lack of time for poker, which I usually cut too much from study time rather than from play time.
- Heads-Up.
- Patience sometimes early in tournaments.
- Often too eager to push when my stack dips below the AVG.
- Following up on flop/turn bluffs in spots where I know I'm not gonna get the fold.
- Going on tilt when annoyed by stallers.

Jbrochu
09-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Strengths
1) I think I play a short stack well
2) I am patient
3) I work hard to improve by reading books and reviewing hand histories
4) I pay attention to the action and try to get reads on people/put people on hands even when I'm out of the hand

Weaknesses
1) When I get a big stack I cannot take proper advantage of it
2) I play my cards much more than situations, which means I get killed at higher levels
3) I get bluffed out of pots too often
4) I sometimes go on tilt

stokken
09-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Strong part

1.Math guy
2.Trust my instincts
3.Improved reads
4.Playing short to medium stacked
5.Use reads to my advantage preflopp as well as postflopp, making the play/move seem logical
6.Luring weaker hands into commiting to much of their chips

Weakness
1.Not being focused enough, my game takes invoulantary dropps
2.Accepting variance, (my coin is also skeewed, even when I am more then 50% fav with one card to come)but reckon that is due to a low number of tourneys played(less then 100), still it sux
3 Getting beat by weaker hands when I have lured all their chips into the pot as well as commiting all of mine LOL
4.Playing big stack
5. Forgetting there is a world outside of the poker one

Hotrod0823
09-02-2005, 07:52 PM
Strengths:
Aggressive when I need to be
Good Mid tourny play with medium stack
Hand reads
Player tendancy reads

Weakness
Overplay AK and AQ
Blind play is awful
Heads up Play needs work
Overvalue my FE
Push too hard with SS
Like to improve bubble play
Improve big stack play and random chip spewing

A_PLUS
09-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Strengths:
Good at knowing my image, and using it to my advantage.
Preflop pushing when short
Snapping off bluffs
Playing my blinds
Recognizing the time to hit the breaks/gas regarding stack size and tourney situation.

Weaknesses:
Getting away from 2nd best hands
poor choices in bet sizes
fail think ahead in hand when deciding on an early line.
Try to win every pot I play
Try to steal too much
Lack patience when it is called for
-I have a few VERY exploitable players at the table, and I make an agro move against an unknown.

Loose focus at the table. I feel like some of my aggressive moves are too random, rather than player specific.

I loose patience when getting short stacked.